Skip to main content
Topic: Pre Game Perambulations: AFL 2020 R11 Carlton vs West Coast (Read 9811 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Pre Game Perambulations: AFL 2020 R11 Carlton vs West Coast

Reply #15
Cripps is broken, he needs a break or he won't be at our club much longer, and at the moment his trade worth is plummeting. So if we think he is going we might as well get him mentally fresh and whatever we can out of him before he leaves.

We highly uinlikely to beat Wet Toast over there anyway, so why flog a dead horse!

Would he be willing to forsake another chance to play in front of family, maybe even try for a little redemption ?

Reply #16
Would he be willing to forsake another chance to play in front of family, maybe even try for a little redemption ?
Looking at him, watching him, he probably thinks he is embarrassing his family at the moment, he looks depressed to me. He is panicked, and he punches the ground harder than he punches the ball or an opponent.

If not physical issues certainly mental, he needs a freshen up, something is not right.

If we think he is staying, go the long term, put him away for the season and let him break quarantine and go home to mum and dad's. It may hurt his pride in the short term, but he isn't a nuffa, he'll come around to the long term benefit. We shouldn't be running Cripps into the ground to squeeze the last drops of hope out of Simmo's or sMurph's career, which is a bit how it feels to me!

The feckers that remain, they are playing the remainder of the season for their careers, for some it's already over!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #17
Looking at him, watching him, he probably thinks he is embarrassing his family at the moment, he looks depressed to me. He is panicked, and he punches the ground harder than he punches the ball or an opponent.

If not physical issues certainly mental, he needs a freshen up, something is not right.

Yes, I can see where you're coming from. mbb said he now looks like a B-grader, and he's probably right. One has to wonder what the problem is. Arguably the highest paid bloke at the club, co captain, most marketable player, seems to get his way on important issues (i.e Martin in, Bolton out). I'd like to make my next comment without starting yet another furore, but I've wondered for a while whether he is really captain / leader material. There's a part of me that really worries about whether he is more like Kouta/Whitnall etc. and less like Hodge. Just sayin'. 

Reply #18
Yes, I can see where you're coming from. mbb said he now looks like a B-grader, and he's probably right. One has to wonder what the problem is. Arguably the highest paid bloke at the club, co captain, most marketable player, seems to get his way on important issues (i.e Martin in, Bolton out). I'd like to make my next comment without starting yet another furore, but I've wondered for a while whether he is really captain / leader material. There's a part of me that really worries about whether he is more like Kouta/Whitnall etc. and less like Hodge. Just sayin'. 
It's a fair question, of course some will take offence at it, some will think you are baiting them. But watching, watching without bias or prejudice, what other conclusion can we come to?

Dismissing the question is just looking at life through Navy Blue glasses and doesn't really help anyone!

I love Cripps, I want him as a blue long term, but he is not coping at the moment, it's not just about form.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #19
Cripps' biggest problem imho is that he has only ever experienced senior football with us and we have not exactly been an ideal player development environment over the years. Some solid hard edged captaincy/onfield leadership experience from outside would have been very handy. He will be stress tested yet again in this game.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #20
We are developing. You'll get these results sometimes at our stage, and it's worse now because more is expected. It's not happening overnight. That away the frustrations and you'll see overall it's alot better. We've combined brilliance with crap this year, as up and coming sides do. What side loses to Melbourne the wins at Geelong, the toughest of all grounds, the next. One week efficiency and ball use off the charts, as Bevo described it, and in the wet, other weeks not AFL standard. That's unfortunately what happens when developing. You dont have that consistency. Often we do it in the same game, costing us about 6 places on the ladder.

Live ladder looked good during the 2nd qtr showing us 6th. Looks crap now it's showing 12th.

Jim, Probably more the way we lost, shades of the BB era, really dumb footy, soft weak contesting/tackling, too many cameo artists not enough main performers, Cripps looking like he has to do everything and collapsing under the load.
Lets hope its a one off....the thing we all like about DT's work is his ability to generate some fight and to keep on punching even if we lose, thats probably what has scared folks, having to revisit the past...

Reply #21
Cripps problem is he's thinking he has to do it all.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #22
Cripps problem is he's thinking he has to do it all.
Perhaps he is reading (and enjoying) too many articles about himself. I saw 22 rockstars, with Cripps as the lead singer, run out last night thinking 15 mins of footy was going to be enough.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #23
Jim, Probably more the way we lost, shades of the BB era, really dumb footy, soft weak contesting/tackling, too many cameo artists not enough main performers, Cripps looking like he has to do everything and collapsing under the load.
Lets hope its a one off....the thing we all like about DT's work is his ability to generate some fight and to keep on punching even if we lose, thats probably what has scared folks, having to revisit the past...

EB what do the "weak" efforts have to do with the coach? I doubt any coach would ask his players to go play bruise free.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #24
Big Tom - Bring Him In 
(De Koning In Moore Out)

Tom De Koning 21 years, 203cm & 97 kg. 
Everything written about him from our Northern Blues/Reserves watchers and his form in 2 AFL games suggests he is big potential for Carlton............but provided we can keep him!!! 
So if he is fit - Bring Him In

cheers
Ab

ps. Even if it means playing MoneyBags down back!

Reply #25
EB what do the "weak" efforts have to do with the coach? I doubt any coach would ask his players to go play bruise free.
GTC..I'm just saying its unusual for a DT team to fold up meekly and I agree its down to the players and am not blaming the coach.
Probably have to look at the leadership on the ground too... Cripps and Docherty have had their own battles of late but not much insperation from other senior players IMO...

Reply #26

Comments like that imply that Cripps was in the minority.

Pretty sure he was in the majority, which makes your point moot.

Reply #27
Big Tom - Bring Him In
(De Koning In Moore Out)

Tom De Koning 21 years, 203cm & 97 kg.
Everything written about him from our Northern Blues/Reserves watchers and his form in 2 AFL games suggests he is big potential for Carlton............but provided we can keep him!!!
So if he is fit - Bring Him In

cheers
Ab
ps. Even if it means playing MoneyBags down back!

Still talking.... "Pre Game"  ;)     Tom "De Koning joined TAC Cup club Dandenong Stingrays and kicked nine goals in 2016 as a 17-year-old against the Northern Knights"  Wikipedia

cheers
Ab

Reply #28
seems to get his way on important issues (i.e Martin in, Bolton out).
I doubt Cripps "got Bolton out", but I suspect Cripps state of mind was a reason to kibosh Bolton, and in my opinion justified if the club thought the coach had contributed to Cripps broken state of mind.

If Cripps really does have head space issues, it'll take more than a new coach and a few trivial wins to see the end of it!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #29
GTC..I'm just saying its unusual for a DT team to fold up meekly and I agree its down to the players and am not blaming the coach.
Probably have to look at the leadership on the ground too... Cripps and Docherty have had their own battles of late but not much insperation from other senior players IMO...
Roger that
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th