Skip to main content
Topic: Hey everyone  (Read 4648 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Hey everyone

Reply #15
Pominoz
Our crowds are much different to soccer crowds, less singing because there is always action on the arena, and around 50% are women.
In the old days 1960's, 70's, 80's I stood on the outer terraces at most of the old Melbourne grounds and never was involved in a fight. There has never been segregation of the fans as in soccer. Even though in those days people bought in their own copious amounts of alcohol, the banter between the fans was great. There was an occasional scuffle.

I think it is the nature of a game which is high scoring, something is always happening on the ground, a mistake by the umpire does not necessarily alter the games result unless it is in the dying seconds of a match. After the game barrackers of both sides still mingle in the pubs or walking to the tram and railway station.

Welcome to a great football tradition that has been going on in this city of Melbourne since 1858, and the Carlton club since 1864. By the way, the world's oldest professional club that has played every season since.

I remember going to Arsenal in London in the early 70's and it was like a war zone from the railway station to the ground. Every shop and house window was boarded up, cops everywhere, you would have to walk in file on the footpath and would be arrested if you stepped off onto the road!
It was not a very pleasant experience.

Re: Hey everyone

Reply #16
blueycarlton, thanks for posting. I enjoyed reading that.