Skip to main content
Topic: Was Greece the birthplace of humanity? (Read 11049 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Was Greece the birthplace of humanity?

Reply #1
Yep

Prometheus shaped man out of mud and Athena breathed life into him.  ;D

Reply #2
He most likely just ended up in Greece on the first ever solo Contiki tour  !!!
Carrots, slower than escargot in garlic sauce !!

Reply #3
Yep

Prometheus shaped man out of mud and Athena breathed life into him.  ;D
Is that like Greeks invented sex and the Italians introduced woman?
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #4
Is that like Greeks invented sex and the Italians introduced woman?

How about thats going one step too far eh??

I tell you what, If the Greeks were indigenous Australians, how would this comment be viewed??
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #5
How about thats going one step too far eh??

I tell you what, If the Greeks were indigenous Australians, how would this comment be viewed??

With a sense of humor? :o

Do you feel denigrated, or are you bitter because it means Italians have twice the sex? ;D
The Force Awakens!

Reply #6
With a sense of humor? :o

Do you feel denigrated, or are you bitter because it means Italians have twice the sex? ;D

No just not enjoying the double standards that seem to apply to taking the piss out of Greeks.

Paul Hewson

Reply #7
No just not enjoying the double standards that seem to apply to taking the piss out of Greeks.

Are you confusing "double standards" with "any standards".

I'm not sure this site targets anybody specifically, excluding all those associated with CheatsFC.

If you think there is a bias could it be that you are hypersensitive to such commentary?

I have about five different heritages in my bloodlines, starting in Wales(Some claim Ireland but that is disputed.) and ending in Sicily with English, French and Polish in-between. As such I don't identify with any specific culture and I have to say I see no bias whatsoever!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #8
@LP let it go.
@Thry If that old gag caused any offence, I apologise sincerely and  unresevedly. I must say,  I have repeated that gag in front of my Greek mates and others countless times and I have never had an adverse reaction. That doesnt excuse any offence it may have caused, just putting it into context. Again, sorry.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #9
Sorry to disappoint Blues supporters with Greek heritage but that discovery is just one of many primate ancestors found in Africa, around the Mediterranean and in Asia.  It's a side branch or evolutionary dead end and is not ancestral to modern humans.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #10
Sorry to disappoint Blues supporters with Greek heritage but that discovery is just one of many primate ancestors found in Africa, around the Mediterranean and in Asia.  It's a side branch or evolutionary dead end and is not ancestral to modern humans.

Other "dead ends" continue to barrack for certain AFL teams we could nominate.  :o
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #11
@LP let it go.
@Thry If that old gag caused any offence, I apologise sincerely and  unresevedly. I must say,  I have repeated that gag in front of my Greek mates and others countless times and I have never had an adverse reaction. That doesnt excuse any offence it may have caused, just putting it into context. Again, sorry.

GIC, im a big boy and I can take it so I accept your apology, but I am finding that I am less tolerant of this attitude as I grow older as we were conditioned to accept casual racism in the form of "light hearted humour" and are being told repeatedly that these sorts of comments are off limits towards some ethnic groups and not others these days, so I feel that perhaps these comments are no longer acceptable on any level and that we all need to start cutting this off here.   After all, someone goes after the greeks, the greeks then go after another ethnic group and before you know it, we are wondering why comparing Adam Goodes to King Kong is being uttered on radio.  You cut off casual racism, and then the real hurtful stuff gets the same treatment.

No dissapointment DJC, that sample may or may not be the missing link, we seem to revise history over and over and over again, and realistically if anyone were to claim that human ancestry began anywhere, hasnt researched the globes history well enough to know that originally the world was one connected land mass.  You could find fossils of pre humans in Antarctica FFS.

Paul Hewson

Reply #12
No dissapointment DJC, that sample may or may not be the missing link, we seem to revise history over and over and over again, and realistically if anyone were to claim that human ancestry began anywhere, hasnt researched the globes history well enough to know that originally the world was one connected land mass.  You could find fossils of pre humans in Antarctica FFS.

I took part in an archaeology department function at La Trobe last week and got to see incredibly accurate replicas of hominim/hominid skulls created by laser scanning and 3D printing; the application of cutting edge technology to incredibly ancient fossils  :o

I guess the most surprising discoveries in recent times is that other Homo species were around at the same time as modern humans and there was some cohabitation with the DNA of those species persisting in our DNA!

I agree wholeheartedly with you about stopping casual racism Thry.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #13
I agree wholeheartedly with you about stopping casual racism Thry.

I have seen too many individuals labeled racist or discriminatory for purposes of political or personal gain that I will forever remain heavily skeptical. I'm especially skeptical when I see assertions of racism used to influence the arts or political commentary, it goes against free speech.

There is a significant difference between GTC's obviously light-hearted comments and the likes of Pauline Hanson, people are more than capable discerning that difference and more often than not they do so or fail to do so by choice.

Who are we protecting, what are we protecting them from, and how does it help?
The Force Awakens!

Reply #14
I took part in an archaeology department function at La Trobe last week and got to see incredibly accurate replicas of hominim/hominid skulls created by laser scanning and 3D printing; the application of cutting edge technology to incredibly ancient fossils  :o

I guess the most surprising discoveries in recent times is that other Homo species were around at the same time as modern humans and there was some cohabitation with the DNA of those species persisting in our DNA!

Do you find any irony in the condemnation of the claims made in Flores, contrasted to the positive commentary around Rising Star and the subsequent Lesedi finds. There seems to be a lot of heavy politicisation of this science, subjectively I see more than I have noticed in other disciplines.

Do you think the race to publish is damaging the research, sensational claims now seem to be a requirement of publication?
The Force Awakens!