Skip to main content
Topic: Was Greece the birthplace of humanity? (Read 11045 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Was Greece the birthplace of humanity?

Reply #30
All we need is the dictionary definition.  This is from the online OED:In other words, both Greeks and Muslims can be described as races for the purposes of defining racism.  It isn't limited to Caucasians or Asians, for example.

In fact, in modern times, the idea of humans being divided into genetically discrete races is seen increasingly as an unfortunate mistake which has in fact led to racism.  As the ads for Ancestry.com demonstrate, our DNA is usually a mix of influences.  I remember seeing US a talk show that had a white supremacist on it and he agreed to a DNA test.  He had no fear because he was as white as white can be.  Yet the test showed he had a considerable African heritage and he was devastated.  Subsequently, he was shunned by other white supremacists :D

So are "race" and "racist" becoming increasingly meaningless when we really mean biased, prejudiced, judgmental, discriminatory, mean spirited, ignorant and plenty of other more meaningful words that can be applied to people callously abusing any number of different groups? I fear "racist" could be becoming just a trite tag that gets trotted out  and is starting to gloss over the real motivations that drive it?
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #31
Its really simple LP.

The litmus test, on any argument to do with racism, is how this would make someone feel about the comment if it was the first time they had heard it?

Mine is straight to anger, but over the years I have been conditioned to accept this and find that the next generation should not be put through as much.  Not because I should, or because its right, but due to it being common place.

Thats not a reason for this stuff to continue.  It was once common for people to own slaves.  It was also once common for men to beat their wives.  Likewise, sometimes things that are uncommon should become more common.  I.e. Women getting equal treatment.

Calling someone a spastic or a retard is out.
Calling someone a spear chucker is out.
Using a racial group as the butt of a joke to insinuate that "we are better than you" based purely on ethnic group is out even if that is a "harmless joke".

Perhaps I am a little more sensitive to this because a lot of people from my ethnic background at my demographic have started raising families of their own, and my wife and I are starting that discussion/attempt ourselves, and Ive decided that "the standard I walk past is the standard Im willing to accept" and this means a world, where my little ones wont be made fun of because they are Greek/Portuguese Australians(when we are fortunate to have our own).

GIC only meant it to be some light hearted fun, but after I called him out on it, you chimed in with your own comment, and I only see further comments as an attempt to backpedal somewhat.

If you dont like the term racism, how does casual bigotry sound instead?? Label changed, same outcome.
Understand and accept all that. People however do have different tolerance levels to it. Me for example? Water off a ducks back. I consider myself Australian as I was born here. My heritage is Italian of which am very proud of but I have never said "I am Italian". In fact, whenever I am (or was) asked "Are you Italian", ever since I was kid I answered "No, I'm Australian, born here but my parents are Italian". That's not in any way because I am ashamed of my heritage, on the contrary, I am very proud of it as I am also proud to be Australian. I have experienced what is termed "racism" all my life but I just dont give a fark. Am I thick skinned? Does it not worry me because I think of myself as an "Aussie" as opposed to a "Wog"? No idea. It just doesn't get to me at all. But I do understand that jokes like the one I made are now considered offensive and are a no go. Do I agree with it? No not really. Do I accept it? Of course I do.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #32
So are "race" and "racist" becoming increasingly meaningless when we really mean biased, prejudiced, judgmental, discriminatory, mean spirited, ignorant and plenty of other more meaningful words that can be applied to people callously abusing any number of different groups? I fear "racist" could be becoming just a trite tag that gets trotted out  and is starting to gloss over the real motivations that drive it?
Personally, I'd apply 'racist' to derogatory comments regarding somebody's country or region of origin or faith where that is largely linked to the former.  When people talk about Muslims, for instance, mostly this refers to Muslims from the Middle East and tends to be another way of saying 'Arabs'. For instance, Mohammad Ali was rarely a target of such comments. I think that Indians and Pakistanis can definitely be racist towards the other. And obviously where someone's appearance is different because of their geographical origins, derogatory comments concerning those differences are racist.

PS: I should say that my comments are in the abstract rather than about GIC's joke.  I was dealing more with Trump-style bald-faced racist comments. 

Reply #33
Personally, I'd apply 'racist' to derogatory comments regarding somebody's country or region of origin or faith where that is largely linked to the former.  When people talk about Muslims, for instance, mostly this refers to Muslims from the Middle East and tends to be another way of saying 'Arabs'. For instance, Mohammad Ali was rarely a target of such comments. I think that Indians and Pakistanis can definitely be racist towards the other. And obviously where someone's appearance is different because of their geographical origins, derogatory comments concerning those differences are racist.

Fair enough. I think of them more as ignorant, petty and small minded.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #34
Understand and accept all that. People however do have different tolerance levels to it. Me for example? Water off a ducks back. I consider myself Australian as I was born here. My heritage is Italian of which am very proud of but I have never said "I am Italian". In fact, whenever I am (or was) asked "Are you Italian", ever since I was kid I answered "No, I'm Australian, born here but my parents are Italian". That's not in any way because I am ashamed of my heritage, on the contrary, I am very proud of it as I am also proud to be Australian. I have experienced what is termed "racism" all my life but I just dont give a fark. Am I thick skinned? Does it not worry me because I think of myself as an "Aussie" as opposed to a "Wog"? No idea. It just doesn't get to me at all. But I do understand that jokes like the one I made are now considered offensive and are a no go. Do I agree with it? No not really. Do I accept it? Of course I do.

All good mate.

This is an extremely mature way for this to play out.  No name calling just matter of fact discussion.  ????

I also dislike the word wog.

I too have a thick skin.  Not all people do and realistically they shouldn't have to have a thick skin.

It's a bit of fun police sort of thing but this is where we are as a society.   It's not always mean spirited stuff but that's how it's interpreted some times,and a bit of harmless fun can lead to mental health issues amongst people who can't deal with this stuff. 
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #35
This debate has come up on numerous occasions on this site.

The way things are going it will create a homogeneous society. Everyone is the same in each and every way and we cannot dare point out any differences in people as it may insult them in doing so.

That person is a wog.
That person has red hair.
That person is fat.
That person is short.

If you work towards fixing the worst areas of discrimination, and continue to do so eventually all of the above comments will be eliminated.

Where do you draw the line?

Not saying what was said should have been said, or should not have. Just pointing out how there is no easy way of working out what is acceptable.

Reply #36
There's a relatively simple way to keep things above board.

If there is little truth in the comment then odds are this comment stems from a place that is just taking the pi55 and is hurtful.

Examples.  

water being a Jewish cocktail (yep derogatory,  not true potentially mean spirited stems from historical class division).

Someone being fat, thin, red haired et Al.  Statement of fact.  Context might make comments about them mean spirited,  but the comments are descriptive.

Call someone a fat bastard who eats all the pies, mean spirited even if true. 

It really isn't hard.  before saying anything ask if there is anything mean spirited about the joke.  If there is, then odds are it shouldn't be said. 

Paul Hewson

Reply #37
You draw the line where it will cause offense, and if in doubt, leave it out.

Transgressions will occur from time to time, but in general I think people these days understand what is acceptable and what isn't.

Reply #38
There's a relatively simple way to keep things above board.

If there is little truth in the comment then odds are this comment stems from a place that is just taking the pi55 and is hurtful.

Examples.  

water being a Jewish cocktail (yep derogatory,  not true potentially mean spirited stems from historical class division).

Someone being fat, thin, red haired et Al.  Statement of fact.  Context might make comments about them mean spirited,  but the comments are descriptive.

Call someone a fat bastard who eats all the pies, mean spirited even if true. 

It really isn't hard.  before saying anything ask if there is anything mean spirited about the joke.  If there is, then odds are it shouldn't be said.

Calling someone fat IS descriptive.....but it can also offend them. Is it acceptable?

Lets say you work in a big office. You are trying to describe one of your co-workers to another co-worker.
You: "Do you know Julie? You know, the nice girl who is always here late. She has brown hair. She barracks for Carlton. Has 2 kids. Hangs around with Steve..."
Co-worker: Nah not sure.
You: "She got drunk at the xmas party. Always wears green. blah blah blah"
Co-worker: Still doesn't ring a bell.
You: "You know, the fat one"
Co-worker: Oh yeah, now i know who you are talking about.

What if 'fat Julie' happens to overhear that comment? What is she doing? Going straight to HR and complaining about people calling her fat at work.

Anyone who says its 'simple' to draw a line, is not seeing the whole picture.

Reply #39

In terms of my test, it is truthful and provided it's not mean spirited, as upsetting as it is for someone to be called fat, it's it's not really taboo.

Even then you still probably should bite your tongue.

Everyone knows better than to comment on overweight people as being fat.  Some people do have real issues managing their weight. 

It's the same with ugly.  You don't call someone ugly even if they are.  It's hurtful.

Now you have picked two circumstances where my rule falls over somewhat but then you simply have to put yourself in the shoes of the other person and instantly you get a read on if it's ok.

Paul Hewson

Reply #40
In fact, in modern times, the idea of humans being divided into genetically discrete races is seen increasingly as an unfortunate mistake which has in fact led to racism.  As the ads for Ancestry.com demonstrate, our DNA is usually a mix of influences.  I remember seeing US a talk show that had a white supremacist on it and he agreed to a DNA test.  He had no fear because he was as white as white can be.  Yet the test showed he had a considerable African heritage and he was devastated.  Subsequently, he was shunned by other white supremacists :D

I took one of those DNA tests.
Received the results back last week.
Based on known family history I was guessing it would come back something along the lines of 40% Irish 60% Great Britain
Here's what actually happened.

Ireland -51%
Western Europe  (Belgium, France, Switzerland, Netherlands, Germany Luxembourg, Liechtenstein)- 31%
Scandinavian (Norway, Sweden, Denmark)- 7%
European Jewish (Poland, Russia, Ukraine, Belarus, Hungary)- 6%
Great Britain (England, Scotland Wales)- 2%
Iberian peninsula (Spain Portugal)- 1%
Finland/Russia <1%
West Asia (Caucasus) Armenia, Georgia, Azerbaijan, Iran, Iraq, Syria, Turkey)<1%

You may not be who you think you are  ;)

Reply #41
In terms of my test, it is truthful and provided it's not mean spirited, as upsetting as it is for someone to be called fat, it's it's not really taboo.

Even then you still probably should bite your tongue.

Everyone knows better than to comment on overweight people as being fat.  Some people do have real issues managing their weight. 

It's the same with ugly.  You don't call someone ugly even if they are.  It's hurtful.

Now you have picked two circumstances where my rule falls over somewhat but then you simply have to put yourself in the shoes of the other person and instantly you get a read on if it's ok.

Social convention suggests you shouldn't.....but social conventions change. A few decades ago racist slurs were commonplace.
A few decades from now will calling people fat be as off-limits as racism is now? Who can say.

Look at the past. Compare it to now. Predict the future.

Its a changing landscape. 'Fix the worst bits' and repeat. Thing is, there will ALWAYS be a new 'worst bit' until you reach perfection.

Reply #42
Unfortunately, the worst bits have exploded through social media and the ease of anonymity and lack of consequence for things that shouldn't be written.