Skip to main content
Topic: Saudi Snub (Read 5317 times) previous topic - next topic

Saudi Snub

Apparently a minutes silence for the victims of the London terror attack wasn't part of their culture.

Except it was last year when they honoured the memory of members of the Brazilian soccer team Chapecoense who were killed in a plane crash.

2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Re: Saudi Snub

Reply #1
Disgraceful!

They shouldn't be allowed back into the country.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #2
Disgraceful!

They shouldn't be allowed back into the country.

Yeah but then we would have to forfeit the game and the points to qualify for the World Cup.

Worst part was I bought their excuse this morning until it was exposed.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #3
What else can be expected from a feudal state that is one of the major sponsors of radical jihadis?
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #4
Just to clarify...from the video I've just watched they all seem to be standing still (there is one bit of movement) just not arms linked,
They're just spread out.

Reply #6
Just to clarify...from the video I've just watched they all seem to be standing still (there is one bit of movement) just not arms linked,
They're just spread out.

Their captain did up his shoe laces.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #7
They're just spread out.

I thought the same thing when I watched the video, in fact I thought they showed the Saudi benched locked shoulder to shoulder in silence as well.

I would like to know for sure if this is the case or if Australia is jumping the gun here.

If they have not honored the moment of silence it is extremely disrespectful, but they don't have an obligation either (don't jump the gun here..  I do find it disgusting, bad sportsmanship etc) to acknowledge that minute, in the same way that teams can turn their back on the Haka or that James McClean (Irish footballer) refuses to wear a poppy on his football shirt on Remembrance Day or turned away from the Cross of St George when "God Save The Queen" was played at the start of a match, which seen even MPs calling for him to be kicked out of English Football.
Football nations who sign up to FIFA cannot allow politics to interfere with football or they get banned from FIFA. So IF Australian politicians did kick Saudi out... Australia would receive a ban from FIFA.

I am disgusted on a personal level if they have not shown respect, I would absolutely hate for Australia to go to Saudi or any other country and not respect a tragedy to their citizens or in fact just not respect their culture at all, but... you can't kick a group of players out of the country for not respecting what is important. You can admonish, you can lose all respect for them, but calls to have them kicked out are ridiculous.

Anyway I hope it is wrong, I hope that people are jumping up all over the place with wrong information, from the angles I seen that is possible, but then perhaps I am just being delusional because I don't want to believe that 11 international sportsmen would be as insensitive as that.
Goals for 2017
=============
Play the most anti-social football in the AFL

Reply #8
Their captain did up his shoe laces.

What did the others do?

The team spread out to various parts of the field, with captain Osama Hawsawi appearing to call for them to stand still.

But, once the period of silence commenced, Hawsawi was apparently the only Saudi player not standing still.

http://www.msn.com/en-au/sport/football/saudi-arabia-players-reaction-to-minutes-silence-before-socceroos-world-cup-qualifier-labelled-a-disgrace/ar-BBCk2e1?li=AAgfYrC&ocid=mailsignout

Reply #9
In fact that might have been our bench I think.
So out of touch I don't know most of the Socceroos squad these days, but looks like Aussie symbol on jacket.
Goals for 2017
=============

Reply #10

I'm not defending them because they should have taken the standard formation for a mark of respect...but it seems a little strange that Saudi's would have any sympathy for the London attackers.
Correct me if I'm wrong but they belong to different sections of the Muslim faith and are very much opposed to the actions of ISIS.

No Saudi is a mostly Sunni country. Iran is the major Shia power in the region, hence Iran and Saudi are traditionally rivals.
Not only that but Saudi has traditionally been the home of the hard core Wahhabism or Salafism which is the ideology of ISIS
Goals for 2017
=============

Reply #11
No Saudi is a mostly Sunni country. Iran is the major Shia power in the region, hence Iran and Saudi are traditionally rivals.
Not only that but Saudi has traditionally been the home of the hard core Wahhabism or Salafism which is the ideology of ISIS

Yep
Just checked that and that's correct.
 ;)
I was under the impression that the last thing the ruling family in Saudi Arabia would want would be a strong ISIS presence in their country though that may not extend to the general population.

Reply #12
I think it is reasonable to assume that the Kingdom of Saudi generally sees ISIS as a threat even to their way of life, however within the ruling establishment and absolutely within groups of powerful people within the country it is also safe to assume that ISIS has very strong support (including very substantial funding) for it's operations.

I am fairly sure ISIS has made attacks in Saudi itself.

Goals for 2017
=============

Reply #13
All that Saudi care about is money and oil, religion is just a smokescreen for controlling the masses! If you go to the underground bars in those countries they are full of Arab royals and bureaucrats sinking piss and dry humping hookers.

I wonder what Donald will tweet about this?

If not for the UK elections this probably should have been worldwide front page news by this evening.

The western media can be pretty gutless on these issues, the Saudi's control a large chunk of media capital and the branches don't want their office bombed and foreign staff kidnapped or jailed. "Ils ne sont pas Charlie"
The Force Awakens!

Reply #14
With Saudi having apologised and with them also having let FFA know before the game they would not be observing, then yes it appears this is an accurate representation and it puts them in a very poor light.

But they will not care, what Australia thinks of them is far less relevant than what they are thought of at home and they simply just will not care about any of our protests.

Disgusting behavior, but as I said early, not grounds for kicking them out of the country, not grounds for kicking them out of the competition, just grounds for us to be disgusted.

The only strange part is that Saudi is trying to portray itself as more moderate (well in the face of what is happening in Iraq/Syria etc) and as an ally of the US against terrorism, but this doesn't seem to follow that script at all.
Goals for 2017
=============