Skip to main content
Topic: CV and mad panic behaviour (Read 427369 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: CV and mad panic behaviour

Reply #1755
I think LP had his tongue firmly planted in his cheek, alluding to the outrage over Victoria going with private security.

In reality, there was nothing surprising about governments using private security. Perhaps police might have been better suited but they have political power and were never likely to accept the responsibility. Governments know that ordering police to do something they don’t want to do would result in the Police Association mobilising members to actively campaign against the government. And there are over 21,000 of them. Prison guards and nurses would probably be either too brutal or not brutal enough and are needed in their day jobs. Soldiers are hardly trained for this responsibility, especially where the powers over quarantined people are a bit unclear. But would troops come with strings attached: e.g. if you don’t open up schools & businesses right now, we’ll pull out the troops?

When State Governments have been stripped down to eliminate excess capacity, the neo-conservative model dictates that governments need to rely on pivate enterprise to fill the gaps.

Reply #1756
I would have thought that Protective Services officers (Guarda Civilia) would have been suited to the task.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #1757
Weren’t they busy protecting stuff? It’s not like there’s a crowd of them waiting in a car park for a pick-up truck to pull up and for the driver to say he wants 5 guys to hop into the back.

Reply #1758
Was this option and ways to make it work seriously considered? Just curious.

Reply #1759
The option of reassigning police was considered. The Pol. Commissioner said they didn’t want to be on the first line of guards but would be the 2nd line, i.e. if someone ran away from a quarantine facility, they’d go after them.

The problem with reassigning people, whether it be police, prison officers, nurses or PSOs is that guarding quarantine facilities isn’t in their job descriptions. You can ask them nicely, but they can say no. Just as well, otherwise the Federal Government could transfer public servants and federal police to the infantry rather than bothering with conscription.

Reply #1760
Was specifically guarding quarantine facilities in anyone's job description at that time of emergency? I was under the impression that PS officers are primarily performing guarding duties in order to spare police officers from that type of firstline  duty?

Reply #1761
AFAIK, there are PSOs who patrol railway infrastructure. There probably are other PSOs who are specifically detailed to protect courts and the parliament building. But I don’t know whether there’s a flying squad of PSOs who can be sent anywhere they’re needed. And, of course, even if there were there’d be nothing like an unbreakable contract in the military: if a PSO didn’t want to run the risk, he or she could just resign effective immediately (if the PSOs Union didn’t pull everybody out on strike instead).

Reply #1762
A lot of speculation.  I'd still like to hear an explanation from those actually  in the know.

Reply #1763
If you’re lucky, you might be able to track down videos of the many press conferences and see if this was covered. Otherwise, as the Rolling Stones were wont to say, “You can’t always get what you want”.

Reply #1764
I was hoping for "Let there be more light" but maybe it's more "Welcome to the Machine".

Reply #1766
https://theconversation.com/why-the-oxford-astrazeneca-vaccine-is-now-a-global-game-changer-150660
Yes, it's often the logistical issues that make or break a medicine, and something that doesn't need cryogenic distribution, as well as being suitable for tailored delivery, is a big game changer. The two features combine to deliver the cheapest and fastest global solution.

For example, you can give low risk populations a lower dose and still get partial protection, while high risk populations get the full booster and obtain very high levels of protection. Many of you are already familiar with vaccines that work this way, we've either been getting vaccines for travel or having our children immunised in that two stage/tier fashion for many decades.

What is even more exciting long term, is the idea a low cost effective vaccine like this might become available for the more common corona(cold) virus. While that won't really benefit healthy young people, there is a whole gamut of society that are at very high risk from a simple cold.

The Oxford team need special kudos, there two tier trial significantly compresses the process and I think that puts them in the lead, it's probably going to change how these things are done from now on, in the past this dose/efficacy part of the development would have been completed sequentially and added years to the process.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #1767
Got to laugh with a tinge of sadness about the China COVID situation.

For a country that reports it has stuff "under control" and asserts it's had a vaccine available for months, the Shanghai Airport situation seems somewhat contradictory! :o

And so falls another pillar of COVID denialism, I've also read that China is now blaming Italy for Sars-CoV-2, but that appears to be a gross generalisation of the connection to Horseshoe bats which have wide ranging variants. The science now indicating the specific zoonosis is highly likely to be very closely connected to a specific Chinese Horseshoe bat (Rhinolophus sinicus) population in mainland China! ::)

Interestingly, it looks like the science is stronger than ever that both Sars and Sars-CoV-2 share the very same zoonosis.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #1768
https://www.theage.com.au/world/europe/signs-sweden-has-lost-faith-with-covid-expert-anders-tegnell-as-deaths-rise-20201129-p56iu2.html

A bit slow to report his, the changes started happening 3 or 4 weeks back, but once 20 and 30 year fit and healthy types started dying or being severely disabled by suffering long term effects it was all over for this immunity strategy. Once it became the sons and daughters of the decision makers some who were previous COVID deniers, attitudes changed!

The nail on naysayers and deniers completely ignore the long term symptoms of many COVID survivors, it's like the deniers can only see or understand two binary states in complete ignorance of the middle ground, you live or you die in their eyes!

While not all people suffer severe or long term effects, living through COVID is not like being guaranteed to survive in full health, there is nothing further from the truth! It looks like for every person that dies, there is at least another one who will live with long term effects, like loss of limb control or locomotion, incontinence, liver, heart disease, lung disease or mental impairment.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #1769
If so much as one of these muppet tennis players brings covid to Melbourne, said player, Craig Tiley and Dictator Dan need a bullet between the eyes. >:(  >:(
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time