Skip to main content
Topic: Rd 4: Pre Game Pressure: Carlton vs. Western Bulldogs (Read 41653 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Rd 4: Pre Game Pressure: Carlton vs. Western Bulldogs

Reply #106
Carlton vs Western Bullfrogs ... no, just kidding. :)

Carlton

B: Kade Simpson, Sam Rowe, Zach Tuohy.
HB: Dale Thomas, Jacob Weitering, Lachie Plowman.
C: Sam Docherty, Marc Murphy, Matthew Wright.
HF: Nick Graham, Levi Casboult, Bryce Gibbs.
F: Liam Sumner, Andrew Phillips, Charlie Curnow.
Foll: Matthew Kreuzer, Patrick Cripps, Sam Kerridge.
Int: Ciaran Byrne, Jed Lamb, Ed Curnow, Dylan Buckley.

Emg: Michael Jamison, David Cuningham, Mark Whiley.

In: Lachie Plowman, Liam Sumner, Jed Lamb.

Out: Michael Jamison (Omitted), Mark Whiley (Omitted), Blaine Boekhorst (Hamstring)

New: Lachie Plowman, Liam Sumner

Very interesting to see the changes we made. Bokehorst's hamstring is not great news, but....
I was a bit surprised to see Plowman and Sumner come in. I would have given Plowman another week to get his fitness up and I don't think either Sumner or Lamb have done enough yet.
So be it. The dies is cast.

Western Bulldogs

B: Matthew Boyd, Marcus Adams, Dale Morris.
HB: Matthew Suckling, Joel Hamling, Jason Johannisen.
C: Lachie Hunter, Tom Liberatore, Shane Biggs.
HF: Liam Picken, Marcus Bontempelli, Jake Stringer.
F: Luke Dahlhaus, Tom Boyd, Caleb Daniel.
Foll: Jordan Roughead, Jack Macrae, Mitch Wallis.
Int: Toby McLean, Koby Stevens, Jed Adcock, Lin Jong.

Emg: Zaine Cordy, Tom Campbell, Bailey Dale.

In: Jed Adcock.

Out: Robert Murphy (Knee)

New: Jed Adcock

Looking at their side, they may be on the way up (they played very well last week), but they are not yet unbeatable. They do have weaknesses IF we are good enough to take advantage of them.
So far that hasn't been the case. We would have to see considerable improvements in the form of our ruckmen, defenders, mids and forwards (have I missed anyone?), but our best is good enough. Are very likely to bring our best? Hasn't looked that way yet. Our talls, in particular, have not yet managed to adjust to our new game style. Nor have Gibbs and Murphy (and to a lesser extent Cripps).

My expectations are not overly high, but hope springs eternal.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #107
Lot of rebound from the Dogs defense, all those players bar Hamling are of the rebound variety which means our forward pressure and retaining the footy in the forward 50 will need to be spot on.
Pleased to see Plowman and Sumner in and BB shows that even favorite sons like Jamo are going to de dropped if their form isnt good enough....thats positive IMO and can only improve us...

Roughead and Boyd rucking.....if Kruezer cant whip their Ar$se then he has to go...thats a very part time ruck setup looking to take advantage of Rougheads marking ability around the ground and field play but conceding the tapouts and backing their mids to shark ours....

When you look at the Dogs team its mid sized players who can play tall with a few midgets thrown in....

Weitering v Stringer....Rowe vs Boyd and Plowman vs Bontempelli......the last matchup worries me.....the Plow hasnt had that much game time and the Bont is one slippery player...

Reply #109
Sorry everyone, I can't see us getting within 10 Goals of the Dogs this week, but I'm still going, Brother is taking me to the Medallion Club (and he's driving...woo hoo!)

Reply #110
Lot of hard runners and dangerous midgets in that doggies side... I hope we're all fit and prepared to run,  and our small defenders are switched on.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #111
With due respect, thank f...k Jamo has been dropped.
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #112

It sends the right message that senior selection cannot be taken for granted. As he continues with his assessments, It looks like BB will be trying to move forward with the younger players he sees as the future and keeping the older and fading players as the backups. That's fine by me!
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #113
It sends the right message that senior selection cannot be taken for granted. As he continues with his assessments, It looks like BB will be trying to move forward with the younger players he sees as the future and keeping the older and fading players as the backups. That's fine by me!

Gibbs next...unless he extracts numerous digits.
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #114

Yep. Pretty sure BB said:
form will drive selection
all have clean slate
nobody is entitled
there is no ceiling (to this effect anyway)

To date, I'm impressed with his integrity and ability to hold onto the rudder (even though we're headed for the rapids).
Bold Bolton

He'll turn the ship in time....
Coming together is the beginning.
Keeping together is progress.
Working together is success.
Henry Ford.

Reply #116

yes. this is a major step forward- i know when our club is truly accountable when any one of gibbs murphy and kruezer get dropped

I cant recall not 1 occasion that any one of these number 1's have ever been dropped to the ressies...

Reply #117
It sends the message that the same old same old that hasnt worked for years, still doesnt work no matter who coaches them.  The team needs to be turned over something ferocious in order to find out what does work. End of story and about feckin time. I hope that there as as many changes to senior players next week as well. I would rather test and learn the game plan in real time with players who are the future irrespective of how young they may be.
Go Blues
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #118
Why can't we swap Phillips for Jaksch? Kreuzer would play better, the forward line would have 2 legitimate talls... wtf

Reply #119
Why can't we swap Phillips for Jaksch? Kreuzer would play better, the forward line would have 2 legitimate talls... wtf

Going by the NB write ups Jaksch hasn't been impressing.  They were more like to give Jones a game.