Skip to main content
Topic: Post Game Passion: AFL 2019 Rd 6: Carlton vs. Hawthorn (Read 47206 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Post Game Passion: AFL 2019 Rd 6: Carlton vs. Hawthorn

Reply #210
Yes, but it's not just him, Krooz, Simmo, Daisy since he came over.

Sure, doesn't help does it? Just not enough hardened winners at the moment. That's what was needed yesterday to get us over the line. Effort was mostly there, nous was lacking against Clarko the old fox and his men.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #211
Sure, doesn't help does it? Just not enough hardened winners at the moment. That's what was needed yesterday to get us over the line. Effort was mostly there, nous was lacking against Clarko the old fox and his men.

Yes, agree cookie.

Reply #212

And a bit of luck, it's not every game you lead well then end up with three significant players on the pine!

That takes a toll on any team, and under the current rules it's amplified!

But it is interesting, pre-game a few players looked off colour. When Simmo failed to surface I thought maybe a lurgy was going through the club, because during the Anzac Day ceremony I thought Simmo, Marchbank, Cripps and SoJ all looked off colour with dark rings under their eyes. I said to my son Simmo looked like he'd seen a ghost when he walked the boundary. If that thought has any substance it's probably a learning curve for BB.

On the tagging issue, OMeara had 27 at 1/2-time and it made not much difference to the result. I think tagging is a bit wasted unless you have a tagger that can hurt teams going the other way, and we probably don't have that type. Several of the experts claim tagging is dead under the new rules, because it leaves you short of a free player when you win the ball.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #213
I agree. He's getting to the point where he should spend more time on the pine in-match, or else give him a breather in the F50.

It has to be said, one quarter of vintage Krooz is better than a full game of Cas, Lobbe and Philips.

I agree he was beating McEvoy then Big Boy wore him down until he submitted.

We may as well play the 2 rucks now as it's proven we lose either way. Give Kreuzer a rest and prolong his career and get games into Phillips.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #214

We may as well play the 2 rucks now as it's proven we lose either way. Give Kreuzer a rest and prolong his career and get games into Phillips.

McEvoy didn't wear him down, something was wrong with SpecialK after 1/2-time, he could hardly jump.

Something was clearly wrong, there was a suggestion he tweaked an ankle or strained something kicking that goal, but I didn't see anything. Apparently he was hobbling a bit after that! But to me he looked like he had a virus or some other problem, I worry he might be suffering from that heart issue.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #215

I don't mind this idea.

Reply #216
I don't mind this idea.

Casboult wasn't too bad yesterday, he'd be very unlucky to be dropped.

Charlie needs to earn his spot and not be gifted a return.

Newman is going to be a big loss!

Finally, how the hell can it be Jones doesn't get s single free kick despite being blocked and or tripped multiple times yesterday. He had it all over Roughead and Lewis, then all of a sudden he starts being ejected from marking contests and it's play on!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #217
Casboult wasn't too bad yesterday, he'd be very unlucky to be dropped.

I agree. He was ok. But I still prefer Krooz plus another ruck. I don't think Philips is as bad away from stoppages and bounces as some make out.

Reply #218
McEvoy didn't wear him down, something was wrong with SpecialK after 1/2-time, he could hardly jump.

Something was clearly wrong, there was a suggestion he tweaked an ankle or strained something kicking that goal, but I didn't see anything. Apparently he was hobbling a bit after that! But to me he looked like he had a virus or some other problem, I worry he might be suffering from that heart issue.

Didn’t Kreuzer spend the last quarter on the bench?
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #219
This isn't Murphy bashing after a loss. I made comment after the win too that he isn't quite there mentality wise. He's running a lot and doing some good things but there are constant reminders that he's not quite there. Throws possession away cheaply way too often, half pace chase, soft tackle effort, etc.

A few weeks in the 2s may actually be the best thing that ever happened to him if we were brave enough to do it.

He needs something to snap him out of it anyway.

Reply #221
I agree. He was ok. But I still prefer Krooz plus another ruck. I don't think Philips is as bad away from stoppages and bounces as some make out.

I just think they can use Levi in the ruck more, especially forward of the center, perhaps leave SpecialK behind the footy as another defacto tall defender and let Jones run and intercept more, tell SpecialK not to enter the F50. What you do not want is Levi rucking on the last line of defence.

The balance between Marchbank, Jones, Weitering doesn't look right, and Marchbank isn't reliable by foot. They have the right mix but the wrong implementation, it should be Weitering kicking the ball far more than Jones or Marchbank. In fact in the 3rd I think Weitering could easily have had a shot from outside F50 if he was switched onto to it, but he left languishing deep and develops a negative mentality.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #222
No, I'm using Paul's own words.

(and no, no confusion - you reckon Howe was going H2H today?)

Just covered on SEN, they agreed it was the right call not to tag o’meara - we were 6 goals up at half time. The coaching staff obviously made a call that they would stick with what got them playing so well in the first place.  You’d be foolish to think they ‘missed’ it or were blind to his influence but they decided to go another way. That’s why they are paid the big bucks and we aren’t.

That said, you live and die by the sword and I’ve got no doubt this decision will be reviewed in the wrap up.

Reply #223
It's not the coaching, it's not the game plan, it's not the match day tactics, it's not the structures, it's not the tagging.

When you're getting flogged by 10 goals every other week, then yes, by all means question the coach, structures etc. If not for a few skill errors, a few brain fades, a few stray kicks, we get the 4 points yesterday.

Can someone tell me how many touches O'Meara had at 1/2 time ?

Reply #224
Kids have to suffer loss before they can win, what is happening is a consequence of turning over so much of the list over the last few years.

Our problem is compounded by the runner bans, we can't tell them to slow down, and yesterday under pressure they did the exact opposite and turned it over by panicking.
The Force Awakens!