Skip to main content
Topic: RD 16 : Blues Smack Saints (Aftermatch Review) (Read 75715 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: RD 16 : Blues Smack Saints (Aftermatch Review)

Reply #150
N e 1 hear MM's presser after the game?
Was listening on radio on way home and they were asking why Watto hasnt been getting a game.......I nearly drove off the road when MM said that Watto's form ALL YEAR has been very encouraging but Jamo and hendo were doing the job for him.  His form encouraging ??? :o

I cant take MM seriously any more after that. Cudo's to Watto for last nights effort. It wasnt awe inspiring but he did " a " job and passed. Hopefully he can keep it up and prove to everybody that he really does want to be a Blue. ;)

MM just feeds the media whatever he likes... protects his boys from scrutiny (individuals that is) and sends the media off on wild goose chases and seldom gives anything away. I love it. He must laugh down his sleeve when he gets back to the rooms...

What's that Joh BP used to say - "Feeding the chooks"?  ;D

COOKIE good friend, I was thinking of Joh when I wrote the above. Good pick-up. Yep, I reckon that is what MM does... goes to the Media Conference to 'feed the chooks'... :)

Mick's Press conference ;D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7l2doxjnn3Y

Reply #151
Just noticed your new avatar, LODS... Caligula :o :o :o... just about as far as you can get from Mr. Bean :)
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #153
Aside from Watson, who I'll keep my powder dry on for now, I think our major weaknesses, based on last night, are:

Armfield
Curnow - maybe OK as a tag but awful disposal
Carrazzo.

There are obviously others who could be criticised, but replace the above with three hard at it quality players and we could be looking a lot better.

Wow two games back off a long layoff and Carrazzo is a weakness that needs to be replaced?  :o

Carrazzo may well get back on song, let's hope he does. Some also like Curnow's and Army's work. But I still think we need at least three much higher quality players on our list and, Watson aside for the moment,  based on last night's performance those are the three who I would be looking to replace in that 22. By season's end that could have changed.

I think Carrazzo has played at a high level for many years, far more than the other two who have never reached great heights. It's like Judd putting in a couple of howlers and saying he should be replaced on his last two performances.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #154
The tragedy about our win against "Saints Footy" is that Judd was Carlton's best player again......

No player is coming through as the outstanding leader that can bring the side along with him.... :-\ :-\ :-\

Reply #155
Casboult while probably shading Rowe in the ruck he doesnt do enough when played forward and being such a poor kick wont appeal to Malthouse IMO.....he best chance to remain on the list is if either warnock or Hampson are traded out...

Problem is EB1, I reckon both Casboult & Rowe are VERY ordinary in the ruck, I don't think either of them should be pinch-hitting in the ruck, as the team suffers immeasurably when they do.

Much netter though than having a ruckman hold down the key forward post due to wanting a 2nd ruck. I'll sacrifice a few taps to have a genuine forward. You can always rove to the opposition ruck . Like it or not, one  ruck and a pinch-hitter provides our  best balance. Only difference between Rowe and Casboult, beside kicking from close range (Casboult bombs just nicely from outside 50) is Rowe is a better player close to goal. Casboult, with his marking, plays better up and around the ground, not as much close to goal.

Reply #156
Casboult while probably shading Rowe in the ruck he doesnt do enough when played forward and being such a poor kick wont appeal to Malthouse IMO.....he best chance to remain on the list is if either warnock or Hampson are traded out...

Problem is EB1, I reckon both Casboult & Rowe are VERY ordinary in the ruck, I don't think either of them should be pinch-hitting in the ruck, as the team suffers immeasurably when they do.
Without doubt that was Rowe's best game for the club, while he wasn't any better than Casboult in terms of tap work he looked better around the ground and used the ball better. That was a full on game and Rowe seemed to run it out quite well. Another major difference was that Rowe made himself dangerous inside F50, not on the wing or HBF.

I think MM would be very, very please, but the Aints are not the best team to measure this against. Having said that Casboult played against some fairly weak opposition and still did the bulk of his work on or around the wing.

We should also have to keep in mind Rowe played that way without Waite in the side, but Hendo certainly made up for it.

Undoubtedly the best dedicated forward pair remains Waite with Hendo, but only if Watson could go up a level. It will be interesting to see what happens if Kreuzer doesn't come up after getting that high corky.

The Force Awakens!

Reply #157
Watson;

- This guy confuses me, he certainly plays better in the AFL than the VFL, but again the Aints with one limping KPF and a bunch of ruckmen filling in probably isn't a good indicator.

- But his decision making was much better, and how good it was to have a bloke who punched position not just in any old direction! MM must think he has the next Presti.

- If he learns to work harder when we have the ball, does less goal keeping, he will find himself on the end of some space that lets him use that left foot. He hasn't worked out yet that teams cannot let him run free to the wing or HF line, they will have to go with him!

- Also his size and defensive contests and marking reduces the amount of ground the rucks have to cover.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #158
Just noticed your new avatar, LODS... Caligula :o :o :o... just about as far as you can get from Mr. Bean :)

One particularly good scene in that movie ;).....oops, I've said too much :D
Football is life, there is nothing else....

Reply #159

One particularly good scene in that movie ;).....oops, I've said too much :D

What ?.......Mr Bean ?

;)
Life is pain....... anyone who says differently is selling something.

Reply #160
The tragedy about our win against "Saints Footy" is that Judd was Carlton's best player again......

No player is coming through as the outstanding leader that can bring the side along with him.... :-\ :-\ :-\

Personally I think our best leader coming through is Lachie Henderson.
If I had a choice to re pick our captain, he'd be it. He's a bit more extroverted, He speaks well, but most of all is a great onfield leader. Has rarely has put a foot wrong this year.
Quickly becoming my favourite, well one of them anyway.  ;)

Reply #161

Personally I think our best leader coming through is Lachie Henderson.
If I had a choice to re pick our captain, he'd be it. He's a bit more extroverted, He speaks well, but most of all is a great onfield leader. Has rarely has put a foot wrong this year.
Quickly becoming my favourite, well one of them anyway.  ;)

Wouldn't argue with you on this one. he could be our Jono Brown. Wouldn't that be great.
This digital world is too much for us insects to understand.

Reply #162
I really like Cachia.  Reckon he will grow into a significant contributer in our midfield.  I think he is our long term replacement for Carrots, in that he gets lots of the ball, makes good decisions, can stop an opponent and is pretty good at hurting them the other way.  Best part, is he was unselfish in dishing off a goal to Garlett when he had every right to go back and kick from about 35-40 out on Saturday night.

Cant wait till they are firing on all cylinders.

Did anyone notice that Lucas went into defensive fifty to free up Simpson to give us a bit more run and spread just after half time? 

I think he is quite underated Lucas and might actually be a really good outside player for us in future.  We have an aging list of mids, and I was getting a bit worried about it earlier this year, but some of these guys are kicking on for us and becoming contributers.  Hopefully they can all go up a level and start to look like genuine A graders.

Also, Im not sure about how everyone else saw the game, but I thought Judd was not as prominent as everyone else has put him in being our "clearly" best player.  I just thought he was one of many that did well on the day.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #163
@Thry

Agree re. Lucas, I'm also more optimistic about him. He is showing more and more and will turn out OK for us I think. He is also less panicky now and I think is toughening up a bit.

Cachia is a great prospect also - posted earlier about him and he looks like someone we will get a few good years from.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #164
Also, Im not sure about how everyone else saw the game, but I thought Judd was not as prominent as everyone else has put him in being our "clearly" best player.  I just thought he was one of many that did well on the day.

Judd was head & shoulders above every other player on the ground......by a very long way, no question.
Football is life, there is nothing else....