Skip to main content
Topic: RD 16 : Blues Smack Saints (Aftermatch Review) (Read 75740 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: RD 16 : Blues Smack Saints (Aftermatch Review)

Reply #165
In terms of defensive setup and run, I think McInnes has been the biggest plus over the last couple of weeks. In my opinion he is capable of making as much impact on the game as Walker or Jammo.

Poor Judd, he gets judged so harshly. I think he was clearly BOG yet people question if he is still up to it or if he had an impact. He still draws two and sometimes three opposition players, and most of them struggle to keep up with him.

I know Carrazzo was sub'd, but it was partly Carrazzo's presence at stoppages that let Judd move a bit more outside and the benefit was substantial.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #166
Yep, Juddy was the man clearly on Sat night. Was there with my Saints supporting friend (who hates Milne) and he was commenting that Judd can still do things that precious few others can eg that pick up after a crap h-ball from Yazz then a left foot curl to Garlett's advantage in front of goal.
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #167
@Thry

Agree re. Lucas, I'm also more optimistic about him. He is showing more and more and will turn out OK for us I think. He is also less panicky now and I think is toughening up a bit.

Cachia is a great prospect also - posted earlier about him and he looks like someone we will get a few good years from.

Particularly pleasing to see Lucas get into some of their blokes - he showed some mongrel and didn't shirk the issue. I think we are all starting to come around in regards to Lucas... with good reason, he continues to improve... just gotta put 4 quarters together now.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #168
The tragedy about our win against "Saints Footy" is that Judd was Carlton's best player again......

No player is coming through as the outstanding leader that can bring the side along with him.... :-\ :-\ :-\

Personally I think our best leader coming through is Lachie Henderson.
If I had a choice to re pick our captain, he'd be it. He's a bit more extroverted, He speaks well, but most of all is a great onfield leader. Has rarely has put a foot wrong this year.
Quickly becoming my favourite, well one of them anyway.  ;)

Wouldn't argue with you on this one. he could be our Jono Brown. Wouldn't that be great.

You know I was thinking similarly watching the replay. Jonathan Brown I'm not sure but Jordan Roughhead maybe. He's effective back and forward and you can see him pitching in for 5 goals in some games and then going back and shutting down a running forward. He's gone past Waite now as our most important KPP.

Reply #169
@Thry

Agree re. Lucas, I'm also more optimistic about him. He is showing more and more and will turn out OK for us I think. He is also less panicky now and I think is toughening up a bit.

Cachia is a great prospect also - posted earlier about him and he looks like someone we will get a few good years from.

Particularly pleasing to see Lucas get into some of their blokes - he showed some mongrel and didn't shirk the issue. I think we are all starting to come around in regards to Lucas... with good reason, he continues to improve... just gotta put 4 quarters together now.

Thought that was one of Lucas's best games in the Navy Blue. If that's a taste of the upside then it's huge.

Reply #171
Just finished watching the replay.

Hendo was brilliant throughout, has come of age.

Judd played a sensational game.

Scotland very solid.

Cachia growing in status. Love his work with ball in hand.

Rowe extrmeley strong frame and sticks his marks

Murphy just so so.

Gibbs meh.

Yarran massive concerns.

Carrazzo just a little rusty TBH from what I'd read I thought he'd be awful.

Kreuzer non event overhead.

McInnes no frills defender really like him.

Betts doesn't seem to be half as dangerous as he was.

Watson good decision maker and executor but needs a shot of intensity.

Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #172
What's up with D Armfield?
I thought he was pacey (and clearly he thinks he is!) but he is getting caught with the ball consistently. He's slipping on the dodgy Etihad turf.
Like Robbo... We don't doubt his endeavour, but nothing much is coming from it

Reply #173
The tragedy about our win against "Saints Footy" is that Judd was Carlton's best player again......

No player is coming through as the outstanding leader that can bring the side along with him.... :-\ :-\ :-\

Personally I think our best leader coming through is Lachie Henderson.
If I had a choice to re pick our captain, he'd be it. He's a bit more extroverted, He speaks well, but most of all is a great onfield leader. Has rarely has put a foot wrong this year.
Quickly becoming my favourite, well one of them anyway.  ;)

Wouldn't argue with you on this one. he could be our Jono Brown. Wouldn't that be great.

You know I was thinking similarly watching the replay. Jonathan Brown I'm not sure but Jordan Roughhead maybe. He's effective back and forward and you can see him pitching in for 5 goals in some games and then going back and shutting down a running forward. He's gone past Waite now as our most important KPP.

Isn't Jordan a ruckman? I would compare Lachie to the Jarryd kind although the Hawthorn swingman is still well ahead of Lachie I would think.

Reply #174
Only got to watch the replay last night, a good win in the end.
How good was Juddy? I would hate to think where we would be without him, we need some more good clearance players, coz when Juddy goes ........

The other highlight for me were to 2 tall forwards, it was great to see Hendo go forward and do well, and Rowe came in and made a good contribution as well. Rowe deserves more opportunities I reckon, he's not a world beater but plays his role well.
Mens sana in corpore sano - A healthy mind in a healthy body.

Navy, it's not just a color, it's an attitude !!!

Reply #175
I think what Rowe showed was that if you play a slightly undersized defender on him he will be able to take advantage. Not a world beater but can definitely have a significant impact.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #176

Isn't Jordan a ruckman? I would compare Lachie to the Jarryd kind although the Hawthorn swingman is still well ahead of Lachie I would think.

Whichever the Roughhead version is playing at Hawthorn and little do I care past that point. Henderson (as in Carlton's Henderson as distinct from Steve Henderson who used to play Tennis at the Chelsea Tennis club),  is growing in confidence and could become just as valuable to us. I think Waite going out is not as big an issue as it was and hopefully if both Carlton's Henderson and Waite can play together along with one of Rowe or Casboult in the forward line it has the makings of a solid spine.

Reply #177
I think what Rowe showed was that if you play a slightly undersized defender on him he will be able to take advantage. Not a world beater but can definitely have a significant impact.
At 198cm there wouldn't be too many defenders taller than him!! ;)
Mens sana in corpore sano - A healthy mind in a healthy body.

Navy, it's not just a color, it's an attitude !!!

Reply #178
Have been watching McInnes slowly improving at the Bullants. If he can get back to full fitness, we're looking good. Watson is not as slow as some may think. He lacks confidence. That appears to change once he's amongst the more senior group.

Reply #179
Have been watching McInnes slowly improving at the Bullants. If he can get back to full fitness, we're looking good. Watson is not as slow as some may think. He lacks confidence. That appears to change once he's amongst the more senior group.

I have to say he looks more interested when playing seniors....
Finals, then 4 in a row!