Skip to main content
Topic: RD 16 : Blues Smack Saints (Aftermatch Review) (Read 75355 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: RD 16 : Blues Smack Saints (Aftermatch Review)

Reply #180
Watson is a real riddle... he has shown something in his AFL games, yet i've watched him on TV a few times this year in the VFL and he always seems to get goals kicked on him. He is slow, yet his kicking is above average.

I don't know what to do with him!

Reply #181
I just watched the replay and I loved one of the umpires telling Montagna that he was being tagged and to get over it.  :)

Curnow did a pretty good job on Montagna and I think that he is one player that has surprised me with his ongoing improvement.  I thought that he would have limited impact after his first year and, while his shoulder injury was a set back, his game has developed to the point where he is clearly in our best 22.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #182
I think what Rowe showed was that if you play a slightly undersized defender on him he will be able to take advantage. Not a world beater but can definitely have a significant impact.

Carrots....Rowes problems for me are when he doesnt have the ball, chasing, manning up his defender and his endurance for doing this part of the game etc.....he leads well, is very strong in the air one on one and can take the odd mark where he drifts in front of a pack and as you said being much taller than most defenders has a big advantage. He is also probably the best kick for goal out of our talls bar Henderson, he kicks the ones you expect him to kick and usually doesnt miss the harder ones by a long way either.

I think Malthouse will want greater effort from him though on not allowing his man freedom to run down the ground....I think I noticed Stanley, Roberton and Gwilt who all took turns on him run down the ground and he didnt make much effort to chase or pick them up.
He is very much in the early version of Justin Westhoff mode....great on the offensive side but zero return on being accountable...Westhoff got slaughtered by Matthew Scarlett in a GF due to his lazy defensive work and it nearly finished his career. Port then played him on the ball and made him learn to be accountable, chase, smother and he has become a better player in this area and is now a decent AFL player.
I think Rowe has to learn this side of the game and quickly to retain his place in the team and on the list...MM wont put up with players who are not accountable unless they are brilliant at what they do and Rowe is never going to be brilliant. The opportunity is there as he has another year to improve but needs to apply himself and work harder than he is... ..he has been ill of course and the extra year he has been given is to cut some slack his way IMO but is still a 50/50 long term player IMO.
Saying all that I am a fan of his and hope the coach and MC give him plenty of opportunities...

Reply #183
Fair points EB but Rowe is a first year player.  I expect that his ability to apply forward pressure and his versatility will improve as he becomes more attuned to the pace and requirements of AFL footy.  If he doesn't, his career will be short-lived.

Apart from his ability to stretch the defence and pinch hit in the ruck, his disposal and willingness to get physical are attributes we desperately need.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball