Skip to main content
Topic: The Season Over Thread (Read 30725 times) previous topic - next topic

The Season Over Thread

Its taken a few weeks, but its time this thread got a run on the New Look Forum.

2 games out of the 8 with 4 game left, 3 Against Top 8 Teams. Bombers limping, but Bulldogs Improving, Tigers going well and Port hard to beat at home.
"We are a club in a hurry"

#united #reset

Re: The Season Over Thread

Reply #1
Are we talking about 2013 or 2014? :P

The season was over a while ago IMO, if a few miracles happened then we may have arsed our way in but at this point I have us finishing 10th (did a ladder predictor last night). I thought we'd be 7-8th at the start of the year, improving at this stage of the season and coming home strong with a clear direction on where we would be going in 2014. But now I'm just scratching my head.

Club must be disappointed.

Reply #2
It was probably over a few weeks back but stringing those 3-4 wins together gave us all some glimmer of hope. The loss to Freo now puts us two games out of the eight which is nearly impossible to catch-up at this time of year.

Wouldn't be surprised if we got leap-frogged by a could of the other teams immediately below us either, their last four games are easier than ours.
"The Other Teams Can Rot In Hell"

Reply #3
C'mon Summer...

Reply #4
Our efforts against Freo put paid to any joy of maybe playing finals for me. We simply aren't equipped to do that very well atm. The only benefit could be possibly experience for younger players, but the intensity could also traumatise a few of them!

Start planning for 2014 if we haven't already done so.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #5
3 Against Top 8 Teams.

BTW, very important we win at least one of these. I worry about the mental resolve of this group if Richmond smashes us. But to go the entire year and only beat Port Adelaide in Melbourne out of the 8 would be a very poor return.

Reply #6
Are we talking about 2013 or 2014? :P

The season was over a while ago IMO, if a few miracles happened then we may have arsed our way in but at this point I have us finishing 10th (did a ladder predictor last night). I thought we'd be 7-8th at the start of the year, improving at this stage of the season and coming home strong with a clear direction on where we would be going in 2014. But now I'm just scratching my head.

Club must be disappointed.

Club must be Absolutely disappointed.

Fremantle started slow under Lyon last year but really played well the end of last year where they "bought in" to the Lyon style and saved a few guys Careers.

Thought we would finish strong, but it seems the complete opposite and how long should we wait for the "Mick Effect" to take hold.

Port have taken less time.

#united #reset

Reply #7
Fremantle started slow under Lyon last year but really played well the end of last year where they "bought in" to the Lyon style and saved a few guys Careers.

Was talking last night with a guy at the football and we both thought that Lyon was our VFL coach when Parkin was around (hazy memories). I wonder what would have been if we appointed Lyon as coach instead of Brittain.

Reply #8
Port have taken no time. Sort of makes a mockery of the 'new gameplan takes time' theory. Also makes you wonder where we might be had we got Hinkley and not the Dark Lo....whoops I mean Malthouse!

Anyway Shades, can we please change the thread title to the 'Era Over Thread' cause this group is going nowhere.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #9
Port have taken no time. Sort of makes a mockery of the 'new gameplan takes time' theory. Also makes you wonder where we might be had we got Hinkley and not the Dark Lo....whoops I mean Malthouse!

Anyway Shades, can we please change the thread title to the 'Era Over Thread' cause this group is going nowhere.

My problem was not getting Rid of Ratts, it was the again apparent lack of Due process in appointing a coach. Since Parkin we have gone untried, Outdated premiership coach, untried, outdated Premiership Coach (??) with no Due process or Interviews or nothing.

There are several amazing Coaches waiting to go and Hinkley, Scott and Sanderson are just to name a few. I would have liked to look at Teague, Burns Hinkley and if Mick was the best of that lot, so be it.

But it seems as thought the cycle continues.

#united #reset

Reply #10

Port have a good midfield...Boak has been a good choice as skipper unlike Murphy and both Hartlett and Wingard have excellent skills.....you add a new tough in and under in Ollie Wines plus workmanlike players in Broadbent and Cornes and you have some nice balance....only Cornes is a genuine tagger the rest are offensive players who win games....you can add the kid Grigg who came on and helped beat the Crows to that group as well. Its mainly young kids who are very skillful.......they will belt us in the last game....

Reply #11

Port have a good midfield...Boak has been a good choice as skipper unlike Murphy and both Hartlett and Wingard have excellent skills.....you add a new tough in and under in Ollie Wines plus workmanlike players in Broadbent and Cornes and you have some nice balance....only Cornes is a genuine tagger the rest are offensive players who win games....you can add the kid Grigg who came on and helped beat the Crows to that group as well. Its mainly young kids who are very skillful.......they will belt us in the last game....
Ahem, correct me if Im wrong, but Grigg played for the crows, and you are thinking of Colquhoun instead.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #12
Griig definitely played for the Crows and it was some performance let me tell you!
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #13

Ahem, correct me if Im wrong, but Grigg played for the crows, and you are thinking of Colquhoun instead.

You are correct...Mitchell Grigg plays for the Crows, happy to retract him from the Port midfield :-[

Reply #14
No worries EB1, we are all entitled to an errror.

In any case both subs came on and took the game by the scruff of the neck.

Ours come on and all you hear are crickets.  Something definately wrong between the ears of our boys.  I have not been uber impressed with a debutant since Jeffy Garlett made his debut.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson