Skip to main content
Topic: The Season Over Thread (Read 30728 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: The Season Over Thread

Reply #15
Port have taken no time. Sort of makes a mockery of the 'new gameplan takes time' theory. Also makes you wonder where we might be had we got Hinkley and not the Dark Lo....whoops I mean Malthouse!

Anyway Shades, can we please change the thread title to the 'Era Over Thread' cause this group is going nowhere.

My problem was not getting Rid of Ratts, it was the again apparent lack of Due process in appointing a coach. Since Parkin we have gone untried, Outdated premiership coach, untried, outdated Premiership Coach (??) with no Due process or Interviews or nothing.

There are several amazing Coaches waiting to go and Hinkley, Scott and Sanderson are just to name a few. I would have liked to look at Teague, Burns Hinkley and if Mick was the best of that lot, so be it.

But it seems as thought the cycle continues.
Sums it up pretty well for me shades.  I think the salt in the wound will be if Roos takes Dees job  :(
Excuses year 1, blame year 2, contract extention year 3........

Reply #16
Port have taken no time. Sort of makes a mockery of the 'new gameplan takes time' theory. Also makes you wonder where we might be had we got Hinkley and not the Dark Lo....whoops I mean Malthouse!

Anyway Shades, can we please change the thread title to the 'Era Over Thread' cause this group is going nowhere.

Port have a good midfield...Boak has been a good choice as skipper unlike Murphy and both Hartlett and Wingard have excellent skills.....you add a new tough in and under in Ollie Wines plus workmanlike players in Broadbent and Cornes and you have some nice balance....only Cornes is a genuine tagger the rest are offensive players who win games....you can add the kid Grigg who came on and helped beat the Crows to that group as well. Its mainly young kids who are very skillful.......they will belt us in the last game....

Yep, hence Why I would be trading some so called stars to get 2 midfielders from the draft that can have an immediate impact (think Wines and Wingard). That along with the development of Buckley and Graham and trade for a Nathan Jones/Brad Sewell (Brad Ebert), we can beef up this area quickly.
"We are a club in a hurry"

#united #reset

Reply #17
ssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss

BOOM!

#united #reset

Reply #18
I want to rebuild via the draft but believe that getting somebody like Sewell in would be beneficial because he has the kind of qualities that our list lacks, plus he comes from a good footballing culture.  I would bet that Sewell goes far far harder at every aspect of footy, be it prep, training and match day than all on our list bar one C. Judd.

So I am all for selective acquisitive, but no crap trucks, no trading because we can and no "because he was available" cr@p.  It has to be measured and for  reason.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #19
@ Prof E
Sewell is EXACTLY the type of player we need I agree. Would love to get him on board. Wonder if we could get him in six-pack size?
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #21
Forgive me if this is inaccurate, but isnt Mclean and Sewell a similar type, and isnt Cachia and Curnow on that sort of level as well?

The only reason I like the idea of bringing in Sewell is the way he might be able to help prop us up, but even so, is he coming here to earn an easier game making him counter productive to what we want to achieve?

I think its important that we only bring in someone who will earn their spot which means a recycled retread from another side that is currently not getting a look in because the club culture is divisive and is not part of the in crowd.  So in essence, Shaun Grigg...

We would have to look at Melbourne, GWS, Gold Coast and perhaps Collingwood for those purposes, but until we fix our culture, even that will be a waste of time.  Its a right pickle to be in.  I think Richmond got it right when they chose the route they chose a few years ago.  Just went a big cull to the list, stuck with quality people and kept churning over the list until they got the right mix of players.

We had the prime example of player in Chris Judd to do this, and sat on our eggs...  Might have cost us in the end.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #22
Sewell is light year ahead of MacLean and a freakin' galaxy ahead of the next two names.

I've seen Sewell drag the Hawks over the line in big games  when the other "names" haven't had good days, he doesn't take a backward step and has high 'hurt factor'.   Kicks a reasonable amount of goals for a midfielder, but his attitude has always impressed me - team orientated and prepared to get his hands dirty.

If he truly is on the outer at Hawthorn I'd be calling his manager right now  and I'd be dangling the VC his way as well IMO.  If we could get some of that attitude to rub off on gliders like Gibbs etc (I know, that would be a miracle) we would have to be better for it.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #23
Sewell is too slow, even the Dawks realise they cannot have Mitchell, Sewell and Lewis in the midfield together as opposition teams expose them for pace.

We already have too many slower leg types, McLean, Cachia and Curnow. We need some bigger bodies who have pace to work an opponent over. We should be developing guys like Armfield, Tuohy and maybe McInnes to have a midfield rotation as attacking players not as taggers, that will add to someone like Bell and Carrazzo. This would allow the likes of Murphy, Betts and Yarran to stay and work outside were they are best suited.

Not sure you watched the Norp game but Ling's comments about Harvey showed you what smart players and teams can do. They knew Harvey was Norps prime clearance and spread player. But the Norp at the time had nobody else winning as much inside ball either. Ling knew he could not go with Harvey for outside pace and that the other Norp mids were covered. So he said he would shove Harvey into as many congested situations as possible to prevent his spread and it was job done. Now with the new Norp midfield it wouldn't be so easy as they have Swallow, Ziebel and Wells in support! Does that story remind you of anyone, it should that is the same tactic being used against Murphy!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #24
Get Sewell as an assistant coach!

Reply #25
@ Prof E
Sewell is EXACTLY the type of player we need I agree. Would love to get him on board. Wonder if we could get him in six-pack size?

Would bring a success culture and expectation that is much needed (der... ya think!!!). Knows what it takes. Too many of our girls were raised on failure, regardless of their high draft pick status (Murph, Gibbs, Kreuz, Walks). We need to bring in a few older blokes who've been raised on success and the pain that is necessary to create this.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #26
@ Prof E

Would bring a success culture and expectation that is much needed (der... ya think!!!). Knows what it takes. Too many of our girls were raised on failure, regardless of their high draft pick status (Murph, Gibbs, Kreuz, Walks). We need to bring in a few older blokes who've been raised on success and the pain that is necessary to create this.

Er, isn't that why we recruited Judd?

Reply #27
@ Prof E

Er, isn't that why we recruited Judd?

So what are you saying JoFo - we stuffed that up so we shouldn't try it again - better to stick with the peahearts?
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #28
Forgive me if this is inaccurate, but isnt Mclean and Sewell a similar type, and isnt Cachia and Curnow on that sort of level as well?

The only reason I like the idea of bringing in Sewell is the way he might be able to help prop us up, but even so, is he coming here to earn an easier game making him counter productive to what we want to achieve?

I think its important that we only bring in someone who will earn their spot which means a recycled retread from another side that is currently not getting a look in because the club culture is divisive and is not part of the in crowd.  So in essence, Shaun Grigg...

We would have to look at Melbourne, GWS, Gold Coast and perhaps Collingwood for those purposes, but until we fix our culture, even that will be a waste of time.  Its a right pickle to be in.  I think Richmond got it right when they chose the route they chose a few years ago.  Just went a big cull to the list, stuck with quality people and kept churning over the list until they got the right mix of players.

We had the prime example of player in Chris Judd to do this, and sat on our eggs...  Might have cost us in the end.

Tigers have recruited well ...its not rocket science why they have improved....Maric is now a genuine A grade ruckman who can control games and protect his smalls, Chaplain has shored up the backline and made Rance a better player, Morris, Ellis and Vlastuin are hard kids with long careers ahead of them. They also picked the right man to be captain and thats Cotchin....
Can the Tigers keep recruiting well , get rid of their remaining duds and take the next step...thats the challenge they have...

Reply #29
Season not over!!

#united #reset