Skip to main content
Topic: The Season Over Thread (Read 30784 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: The Season Over Thread

Reply #75
Unless there was only 22 to choose from... no excuses mick.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #76

Richmond, Melb losses hurt but 5-5 hopefully and the Hawks are hurtin from our 150yj?

Who knows.

Well, as Mick said in the presser... We were playing underdone players

I don't take much notice of what Mick says in a presser.

I think there was merit in what he said though Shades. It's undeniable we were pretty well underdone early one. But in saying that, I still reckon our season is shot, and that doesn't bother me provided we unearth a few more with some serious potential.
“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect.”

― Mark Twain

Reply #77

Richmond, Melb losses hurt but 5-5 hopefully and the Hawks are hurtin from our 150yj?

Who knows.

Well, as Mick said in the presser... We were playing underdone players

I don't take much notice of what Mick says in a presser.

I think there was merit in what he said though Shades. It's undeniable we were pretty well underdone early one. But in saying that, I still reckon our season is shot, and that doesn't bother me provided we unearth a few more with some serious potential.

This. Buckley, Doc, Menzel find another player, get a good draft pick. I can handle that.

Reply #78
The plan to clog it up was definitely ours, you could see Adelaide looked that much more dangerous when they found space. They probably should have won it in the end anyway so not sure it entirely worked. I think the better teams would've steam rolled us after half time. I still say we play better when we attack and I highly doubt we can play like that consistently.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #79
Crows were flooding way more than we were.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #80
It's often hard to figure out who started it, just as it's hard to figure out which ruckman or marking target started a wrestle. 

It would have suited the Crows if they'd been able to send back additional players into the D50 and their opponents had followed them.  That would have left 2/3rds of the ground fairly open and Dangerfield and Eddie would have enjoyed the ability to run.  They also like to have a loose man on the back flank through which to direct play. 

There's always a choice to make.  Do you go man on man and continue to man up opponents who flood back into D50 (knowing that the opposing coach can continue to send players back until you blink)?  Or do you allow a loose defender or 2 to set up deep?  Often, the determining factor is whether the other side can free up a loose defender who is much more effective in that role than the loose defender you'll have.  If they manage to free up Dangerfield and we have Jamo playing loose, that's a disaster.  In that case, you'd have to continue to man up and hope you can still kick goals against the flood. 

Reply #81
Even after this massive run of good form, still don't think we will make the 8 though.
"The Other Teams Can Rot In Hell"

Reply #82
Even after this massive run of good form, still don't think we will make the 8 though.

Not really sure it matters.

Just need to see an effort like last night. Plan for the opposition and execute.

You can't always win but you can always try.
You can fool some of the people some of the time.......................................

Reply #83
Watch the Sanderson press conference. He inferred that the game got opened up a bit too much and he wasn't happy about it.  Thats two opposition coaches now that have said that when being defeated by us.
We did have an extra man back, but that makes sense when you have the like of Jenkins , walker, and pods. But Sanderson said in the end it helped betts out.

Reply #84

Not really sure it matters.

Just need to see an effort like last night. Plan for the opposition and execute.

You can't always win but you can always try.

Yep as Mondy mentioned, it was as close to a four quarter effort as we've got for some time.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #85
The plan to clog it up was definitely ours, you could see Adelaide looked that much more dangerous when they found space. They probably should have won it in the end anyway so not sure it entirely worked. I think the better teams would've steam rolled us after half time. I still say we play better when we attack and I highly doubt we can play like that consistently.

Definately ours.  With their forwardline we needed to clog up the ground and ensure that they couldnt get it into forward fifty quickly as it suits their team and their play.  The fact that we were able to hurt them on the turnover and stop their efficiency by playing this way ratified the decision.

We do play better when we attack, but we need to be able to do both in order to really be able to take it up to everyone and become a serious threat.  Sport is about balance.  I heard a stat the other day on the radio, that the last 11 premiers were ranked top 5 for offense and top 5 for defense except for one team.  That team was Sydney in the mid noughties when they were ranked number 1 for defense and 13th for offense. 

The match taught me that we have a lot to learn about footy.  Modern sport is more a game of momentum than anything else.  If you can score when you have it, and prevent your opponent from scoring when you don't sooner or later momentum in a game will swing your way.  The crows managed that.  I thought we had all the early momentum in the third quarter but didnt hit the scoreboard and then all of a sudden Adelaide managed to score a goal against the run of play and swung the game back on their terms.  We were able to get the momentum back after they inched in front and then we went on with it from there and I think that's why we are pretty chuffed with the result.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #86
It's often hard to figure out who started it, just as it's hard to figure out which ruckman or marking target started a wrestle. 

It would have suited the Crows if they'd been able to send back additional players into the D50 and their opponents had followed them.  That would have left 2/3rds of the ground fairly open and Dangerfield and Eddie would have enjoyed the ability to run.  They also like to have a loose man on the back flank through which to direct play. 

There's always a choice to make.  Do you go man on man and continue to man up opponents who flood back into D50 (knowing that the opposing coach can continue to send players back until you blink)?  Or do you allow a loose defender or 2 to set up deep?  Often, the determining factor is whether the other side can free up a loose defender who is much more effective in that role than the loose defender you'll have.  If they manage to free up Dangerfield and we have Jamo playing loose, that's a disaster.  In that case, you'd have to continue to man up and hope you can still kick goals against the flood.

Both sides played with a loose defender for the entire game, ours was Buckley for the majority of the match and Walker for the last term.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #87
@Thry

Definitely the best part of the result is the fact that they came at us seriously, multiple times, they even got the lead but as soon as the hit the front our boys really stepped it up and looked like scoring the next few goals, which we did. I think a few weeks back, perhaps even last year we would've given the lead up like a 300/1 pop in the Melbourne Cup. That said Adelaide were very meh and butchered their chances.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #89
Good win vs the Crows in terms of heart and passion but skills were ordinary and neither team looked top 8 material...