Skip to main content
Topic: AFLW 2019 GF: Carlton vs Adelaide (Read 7521 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: AFLW 2019 GF: Carlton vs Adelaide

Reply #45
I'm not doubting her effort around the ground. I was more disappointed with her lack of resilliance in the ruck.

She's been big enough and strong enough to stand there and push and shove and win the ruck most weeks. This wasn't working. Did she try a different tactic? She was a basketballer, she can jump, maybe try that for a change. Just go the old big punch forward every now and then ala Clark Keating.

Around the ground is why i think Moody is a very poor 2nd option by comparison. Downie dominated her in that area.

The girl that Downie was up against was as green as they come. She only joined the team 2 weeks before the season....or was turned into a ruckman 2 weeks before (or both). Gotta be smarter than that.

No doubt Downie was being jumped over in the center square, maybe there was a reason for that, we may never know.

On a separate issue, I was interested to hear Harf explaining that Tayla was injured in the 3rd and so didn't return. I suspect she entered the game carrying an injury and we won't know about that either, but it was clear she was well off focus from the first bounce. She was certainly affected by something, I hope it wasn't something more sinister given recent events, yet it would not be a surprise given the nutters out in the real world!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #46
No doubt Downie was being jumped over in the center square, maybe there was a reason for that, we may never know.

On a separate issue, I was interested to hear Harf explaining that Tayla was injured in the 3rd and so didn't return. I suspect she entered the game carrying an injury and we won't know about that either, but it was clear she was well off focus from the first bounce. She was certainly affected by something, I hope it wasn't something more sinister given recent events, yet it would not be a surprise given the nutters out in the real world!

Put your tinfoil hat away LP, no conspiracy with Tayla.

She was having a shocker early.
She was put into the midfield at the opening bounce of the 2nd half, and was getting the clearance before running into Davey, both hurt themselves. Tayla barely returned. Davey soldiered on like a true champ.

I've got a bit of a theory with Tayla. She is very much a confidence player and when things don't go her way, you'll struggle to turn her around in a game. Chelsea Randall flogged in the AFLW1.0 GF. I'm sure she was reminded of that fact.

Also, i don't think Tayla can play with injury. There is no bigger fan of Tayla than I, but i am starting to question her ability to play after getting a knock. She pulled out of the Crows game first time round with a shoulder injury (She played the week before and week after - how bad was it?) She got a knock in the GF and despite getting strapped up, wouldn't stay on the ground because she wasn't right.

Time may show that she had a legitimate injury from the GF, and maybe other times as well. But looking at how the Hoskings, Loynes and Davey go about it....i'm not sure Tayla has the same internal drive / hunger / belief in her own body.

Reply #47
Tayla is walking along behind play in our F50 zone  looking exhausted just 90 seconds into the game!

Not normal at all for a player known for their pressure acts!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #48
Tayla is walking along behind play in our F50 zone  looking exhausted just 90 seconds into the game!

Not normal at all for a player known for their pressure acts!

Think of Tayla as Fev.

Fev could do the incredible when he was on. He had that magnificent run down tackle just outside 50 against the Saints i think. When he was on, he was on.

Alternatively, when the ball was just 2m away, he was too busy arguing with umpires and teammates to care.

He wasn't 'known' for his pressure acts, but when he was on, they were a sight to behold.

Similar with Tayla, when she is up and about, she will tackle with the best. She will fly through the air without a care for the world, she will kick goals from 50.

When she is not, she wil struggle to lift herself off the ground, miss goals from the goalsquare and feel sorry for herself.

Taylas state of mind dictates her effort.
Taylas body dictates her state of mind.

Whether she was injured or not already, her head wasn't in the game. Coming off such a huge week, its somewhat understandable....she is still very young after all.

Reply #49
Whether she was injured or not already, her head wasn't in the game. Coming off such a huge week, its somewhat understandable....she is still very young after all.

That's all I asserted earlier and you labelled it a conspiracy theory, have you abandoned your own stance?
The Force Awakens!

Reply #50
That's all I asserted earlier and you labelled it a conspiracy theory, have you abandoned your own stance?

The conspiracy theory was in regards to this...
I hope it wasn't something more sinister given recent events, yet it would not be a surprise given the nutters out in the real world!

Reply #51
Without wanting to turn this into a genetics debate, there is a school of thought that Female athletes are more prone to waivering performances due to biological factors.

It could just simply be poor timing for the whole lot, and lets remember what they say about females in groups bonding and what happens to reproductive cycles.

Note:  I state the above with the utmost repsect.  Its well known in elite sports, that often medication is taken by tennis players to prevent this from being a factor.  I particularly mean bloating, cramping etc.  It is enough to result in a massive decrease in output.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #52
The conspiracy theory was in regards to this...

That's no conspiracy theory, it's just a statement that the events of the recent past may have place a darker toll on Tayla's performance. It's dead easy to discuss what we see in the public forums in ignorance of all the stuff that Tayla either blocked or had moderated behind the scenes away from the general public.

Further, there are those who wouldn't hesitate at leveraging those events in the lead-up to the grand final, altruism does not live with fanatics so who knows what she had to put up with or her family for that matter in the days since the original story.

I also thought Harf made a rookie mistake in the presser when he allowed the media to press Tayla on the effects the events had on her family and friends. Something at her age and circumstance she may have not fully considered until the media so kindly proselytised those sinister effects! He should have chopped off that line of questioning and consigned it to private discussions not a public debate.

Ongoing this is something Tayla must now live with, at Carlton or any other future club or sport, no different to Adam Goodes getting accustomed to being booed!

Without wanting to turn this into a genetics debate, there is a school of thought that Female athletes are more prone to waivering performances due to biological factors.

Whatever the symptoms or circumstances it may well be issue, but from the girls I've talked to it is very much less so the higher the level of training, almost a non-event!
The Force Awakens!