Skip to main content
Topic: AFLW 2019 List Changes (Read 18883 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: AFLW 2019 List Changes

Reply #30
I think there is a difference between a captain leaving for an expansion club (ie Brennan to Tigers) and a captain leaving for a rival, established club (ie Davey to Pies)

Given she is not only captain, but B+F winner and plastered all over our AFLW advertising, to do this to go to a lesser side and hiding it until after the B+F where everything appeared to be rosy is a bitter pill to swallow, and i'm not surprised the club are filthy.

She clearly isn't going there to play in a flag.
She isn't going there to play with her friends, given her partner plays with us already.
She is clearly going there for the cash.

.....and how much cash can they offer? What is the CBA in regards to the AFLW game these days? There was clear minimum and maximum amounts previously. Has something changed? Does she prefer a lexus over a hyundai?

I don't get it and i don't like it.

Reply #31
Yet we happily took the Filth's B&F off them when Nicola Steven joined us in 2017, we can't be hypocrites and must work within the system!

It's the system that is the problem, not the clubs working within it. The contract lengths and terms are too restrictive. I'm not sure why any club would bother developing talent at the moment, they could just save that money for list raiding.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #32
Yet we happily took the Filth's B&F off them when Nicola Steven joined us in 2017, we can't be hypocrites and must work within the system!

It's the system that is the problem, not the clubs working within it. The contract lengths and terms are too restrictive. I'm not sure why any club would bother developing talent at the moment, they could just save that money for list raiding.

Agree, but Steven's wasn't captain at the time.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #33
Agree, but Steven's wasn't captain at the time.

Fair enough, but on-field Stevens was without question their marquee player.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #34
Fair enough, but on-field Stevens was without question their marquee player.

Wrong again.

Mo Hope was their marquee player.
Emma King was their marquee player
Steph Chiocci was their captain.

It would be like someone trying to poach Brianne Moody from us (she won our B+F last year) but is far from the most important player on our list.

Reply #35
Wrong again.

Mo Hope was their marquee player.
Emma King was their marquee player
Steph Chiocci was their captain.

It would be like someone trying to poach Brianne Moody from us (she won our B+F last year) but is far from the most important player on our list.

I wasn't talking about their listed marquee players, I was talking about their best player and match winner.

Nobody gives a feck about who gets the labels, we only care about on-field performances!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #36
I wasn't talking about their listed marquee players, I was talking about their best player and match winner.
Stevens was not a match winner, she was a defender who played her role.
She won the B+F by 4 votes to Alicia Eva, she is a matchwinner.

You say "without question" their marquee player, I challenge that remark.

Personally, i am more than happy to have Stevens playing for us. But if i had a choice of Collingwood players, she's just scrape into my top 5 i reckon.

Your logic suggests that whoever wins the B+F is without question the best player in the side. I challenge that logic.

Reply #37

Personally, i am more than happy to have Stevens playing for us. But if i had a choice of Collingwood players, she's just scrape into my top 5 i reckon.

Your logic suggests that whoever wins the B+F is without question the best player in the side. I challenge that logic.

The coaches would disagree, they are the voters not fans! ;)
The Force Awakens!

Reply #38
The coaches would disagree, they are the voters not fans! ;)

And the players voted too. And the players voted Alicia Eva for the players player.
Emma King was also named in the AA team, but didn't make top 3 in the votes.

Reply #39
And the players voted too. And the players voted Alicia Eva for the players player.
Emma King was also named in the AA team, but didn't make top 3 in the votes.

Like the way Kreuzer has never been AA, all voted by the media!

It's a joke measure!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #40
Like the way Kreuzer has never been AA, all voted by the media!

It's a joke measure!

Regardless, your comments are way off.

Stevens is no equivalent to Davey.

Stevens was not plastered across all the collingwood marketing.
Stevens was not chosen by her club/peers as most worthy of Captain.
Stevens was not even chosen to be in the leadership group.

Reply #41

We don't know, we cannot know, Stevens won the B&F and left, just like Davey! ;)

The rules encourage this sort of tit-for-tat behaviour, we did it, they'll do it too!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #42

I'll back LP here.

Stevens was crucial to the Pies in 2017.
They identified her ability & footy smart before the draft.
They were delighted to get her in the draft at their first pick, considering they thought others would snap her up.
A player they could build a defence around.
She left a big hole.

Reply #43

Within the clubs 4 walls she was rated highly...
You don't need to be named captain to be a leader. She was the on-field leader in defence.

Reply #44
Within the clubs 4 walls she was rated highly...
You don't need to be named captain to be a leader. She was the on-field leader in defence.

...and thats fine. However highly she was rated, it was behind at least 3 others when it came to leadership as she wasn't in their leadership group.

Again, this isn't actually about her ability on the field. Its about how much time/effort the club put into her off it.

Example, Darcy Vescio,club leading goal kicker 2 years in a row, mark of the year winner, goal of the year winner, marquee player, plastered all over our marketing campaigns and website, all australian, works for the club.
If she left, or got poached, the club would be filthy. She agreed to all of that, with comes with extra $'s and a continued relationship with the club.

Alternatively, if someone poached say Gab Pound (like Gold coast are attempting) who has had a better season than Vescio, finished higher in the B+F, made the AA side is crucial to our rock solid defense, and hasn't missed a game in 3 years.
If she left....fair play. Same as Nic Stevens.

Why are North Melbourne people still $hitty at Leigh Colbert? Because he was their best player when he left for the cats? Or because there was some understanding, given he accepted the captaincy position, that there would be some loyalty to the club....who in turn used his image to promote the club.

Davey going hurts on-field. As would Pound, Harrington, Prespakis and a multitude of others. But unlike those others, Davey has accepted responsibility as being the face of the club.....which she has turned her back on. Thats on her.