Skip to main content
Topic: Post Game Philosphical Discussion: AFL 2020 Rd 18: Carlton vs Brisbane (Read 10976 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Post Game Philosphical Discussion: AFL 2020 Rd 18: Carlton vs Brisbane

Reply #90
I'd be wary of drawing firm conclusions about work rate and chasing on the TV. Not being able to see what happens off camera is a big issue.
Very wise @PaulP‍ 

Also, I'd be very wary of assuming truth in accusations from social media that clubs have different expectations and rules for different players! ;D
The Force Awakens!

Reply #91
Good to see Williamson on a wing. I wanted him as part of our midfield group this week. And good to see McGovern go back. I called for both. Happy Teague can make a couple of adjustments where required. Walsh into the middle is another this past month. He's better in there than out on a wing, that's for sure! Plus Cripps and Walsh have such a high standard, incredible appetite for the contest and seem to have a real connection.

Reply #92
Murphy and Cripps don't chase, why does Martin have higher expectations?
Murphy is a squib
We all know that we also he shouldn’t be on a list
Cripps never takes a backward step
Martin is severely overrated

Reply #93
Cannot believe some of the quotes about Martin
Instead of putting his head over the aggot he squibbed it big time and McCarthy goals

So screwing overrated
If don’t believe me watch the replay
The guy picks and chooses

Don’t agree at all. Maybe on that one occasion he could have gone harder but the bloke busts his butt and does a heap of hard running. He is also a very strong tackler.

I’m more then happy with him and wish others gave the effort he does.

Reply #94
Don’t agree at all. Maybe on that one occasion he could have gone harder but the bloke busts his butt and does a heap of hard running. He is also a very strong tackler.

I’m more then happy with him and wish others gave the effort he does.

I reckon Martin, Weitering, Walsh, and Ed Curnow would be virtual locks for a top 5 B+F finish. Very happy with Martin, and if we are complaining about him, we are in deep do doos.

Reply #95
Martin did shy away from that one contest and can be a dubious chaser but on the whole he is a good tackler, will stand his ground in marking contests and I thought he did more work at the coalface than usual and got his hands dirty a lot more.
His form has tapered before the Brisbane game a lot like it did at Gold Coast towards seasons end, maybe he didnt see the need to
bust his gut with no finals in sight and needs that carrot to give max effort.
Overall though he has a been a big win IMO and clearly is a class player who could become more of a matchwinner if we didnt have to use him doing hack work in the midfield to cover up our lack of depth. I want Martin forward more kicking and creating goals, his foot passing and vision is excellent and its a shame we dont have a couple more as talented mids who could do the job.

Reply #96
I reckon Martin, Weitering, Walsh, and Ed Curnow would be virtual locks for a top 5 B+F finish. Very happy with Martin, and if we are complaining about him, we are in deep do doos.
I suspect it's Weitering, Walsh leading, with ----------------> Jones, Ed and others someway back!

I suspect Plowman will be up there again, despite what many fans think of him!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #97
Murphy and Cripps don't chase, why does Martin have higher expectations?

Murphy also picks and chooses; Cripps actually tries but often isn't fast enough to catch anyone.

That doesn't excuse speedy players, like Martin and SPS, who commonly think first before deciding whether to chase. 

Ideally, players will be hungry for the chase (like a seagull after a chip) and react accordingly.  Simmo isn't as fast as he used to be but he still reacts like he used to.

Reply #98
Needs a decent run at string of games without injury to build confidence and continuity. Has good evasive skills (sidestep) and can get out of traffic and find clear air.

Also noticed Willo shrugging a few tackles. That back injury rehab may have left him with a strong core.
Coming together is the beginning.
Keeping together is progress.
Working together is success.
Henry Ford.

Reply #99
You can't implement a game plan if you keep kicking the ball to the opposition. Most of the Brisbane goals came from dodgy free kicks and turnovers. Can't do anything about the umpires but we can do something about our kicking. Harry McKay could be our next Kernahan and Charlie could be our next Fevola, Bosustow, Jesaulenko. What we sorely need in our forward line is on the ground sparkle. Our mid-field lacks pace. Unfortunately Cripps, Curnow, Murphy, Setterfield, Kennedy, Martin, Walsh, Gibbons & Newnes all run hard but don't have zip. Other than Fisher, the players with zip, Dow, Cuningham & O'Brien, don't run hard. Our backline lacks pace and foot skills. If they could hit a target or get the ball out of bounds long down the line it would really take a lot of pressure off them when things are not going well in the mid-field. Plowman is a case in point. He played really well against a very dangerous opponent as he has done all year, but his kicking often lets him and the team down. Jones is the otherone I hate havibng the ball when we are coming out of defence.
The long term positives for the season are Cottrell, Philps & Honey playing their first games, the improvement of TDK, Walsh & Setterfield, and the introduction of Martin, Pittonet & Newnes into the playing group. The negatives were those horrendous quarters we played just about every game. For next year we need to get Charlie, Jack, Newman & Marchbank back, we need big improvements out of Dow, O'Brien, McGovern, TDK, Stocker, Kemp, Cuningham, Philps & Cottrell and we need to improve our skills under pressure.

Seem to say this every week - but, next year, what if....

get Charlie, Jack, Newman & Marchbank back, big improvements out of Dow, O'Brien, McGovern, TDK, Stocker, Kemp, Cuningham, Philps & Cottrell

plus say Williams & Saad & one other

doesnt this look like a really good side??

Reply #100
Murphy also picks and chooses; Cripps actually tries but often isn't fast enough to catch anyone.

That doesn't excuse speedy players, like Martin and SPS, who commonly think first before deciding whether to chase. 

Ideally, players will be hungry for the chase (like a seagull after a chip) and react accordingly.  Simmo isn't as fast as he used to be but he still reacts like he used to.

Could it be that players make an evaluation of whether or not they are likely to catch the opp player and if very unlikely why waste the energy trying? A bad look nevertheless.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #101
Could it be that players make an evaluation of whether or not they are likely to catch the opp player and if very unlikely why waste the energy trying? A bad look nevertheless.
Indeed. It was one of the biggest black marks I had against Wiggins, back in the day. If he thought he was close enough, he was ferocious. But if the distance was one cm past where he thought he could make it, he didn't try. All players do it to some extent, but some guys never seem to give up, their 'radius of attempt', if you will, is just bigger than others. Stephen Silvagni was one of those. He would go for it at distances that others wouldn't, and he would get there more often than not. It made him what he was.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #102

That is no doubt the situation but not chasing an opponent who is running with the ball allows that player to deliver the ball under little or no pressure - much to the disadvantage of his defenders and the rest of the team.

I am not only talking about chasing an opponent who has the ball; I am also referring to failing to chase an opponent who is running to make position or to create a loose man in attack. Over the past couple of decades, we have had too many one-way players.  Possibly the fastest (and most frustrating) of them was Chris Yarran.

Reply #103
OK thanks RR.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #104
Indeed. It was one of the biggest black marks I had against Wiggins, back in the day. If he thought he was close enough, he was ferocious. But if the distance was one cm past where he thought he could make it, he didn't try. All players do it to some extent, but some guys never seem to give up, their 'radius of attempt', if you will, is just bigger than others. Stephen Silvagni was one of those. He would go for it at distances that others wouldn't, and he would get there more often than not. It made him what he was.

I think to me thats a man that knows his limitations.

Sometimes its not worth expending the energy for a perceived benefit, because you might need it when there is an actual benefit.

Us fans talk pick and choose, but in sports, sometimes you have to weigh up the benefits vs the consequences.  Its not about not chasing either its about what the effect of chasing that man will do.  Let him go, and he might deliver it nicely, but for each action there is a reaction.  Chasing them back means more players following men into areas of the ground where they cannot be an outlet kick in the next chain of posessions.

For me that divides smarts vs ability.  Players with limited ability need to sum this up accordingly and do what they think they can, rather than attempt what they know they cant.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson