Skip to main content
Topic: Post Game Philosphical Discussion: AFL 2020 Rd 18: Carlton vs Brisbane (Read 10937 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Post Game Philosphical Discussion: AFL 2020 Rd 18: Carlton vs Brisbane

Reply #120
@bignic
Ill play
Simmon averaged 2.61 tackles a game, 6.02 CP's
Murph is averaging 3.59 tackles a game, 9,51 CP's
What say you?
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #121
Murphy getting another year tells you how thin our midfield is for depth and why Wines, Graham are being chased and why Williams was recruited.

Reply #122
Did you ever see Simpson shirk the issue and not tackle? Did you ever see him not go in hard for the ball head down, putting his body on the line every time. And the bloke was one of the skinniest players to ever pull on a boot.

A totally different player to Murphy. Add to that, if in fact he WAS offered another year, a man who, as much as he probably would have loved to keep playing, knew that his time was up.

No selfishness where Simmo is concerned. He made the right decision, not only for himself, but for the good of the club.

If only Murphy would have done the same.

You are projecting your own biases and opinions on this issue, none of which are relevant. Murphy did not hold a gun to the club's head. He was offered a 1 year extension, not because the club had a sudden attack of the warm and fuzzies, but because they feel he has something to offer. He has done nothing immoral or dishonorable.

It has been posted on here that Simpson did in fact want to play on, but the club said no.

Reply #123

It has been posted on here that Simpson did in fact want to play on, but the club said no.
In his pre game interview, it was fairly obvious his meetings with the coach didnt go to his liking. He stated that when he was asked what he wanted to do, he said "I wanted to go on". But then after discussion with coaches, he decided it would be best to hang up the boots. So clearly his idea of "going on" and the clubs were different.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #124
In his pre game interview, it was fairly obvious his meetings with the coach didnt go to his liking. He stated that when he was asked what he wanted to do, he said "I wanted to go on". But then after discussion with coaches, he decided it would be best to hang up the boots. So clearly his idea of "going on" and the clubs were different.

Thanks GTC. I do recall reading something along those lines.

Reply #126
I would think with the return of Doc, the arrival of Williams and the hopeful return of Newman then Simmo's jig was up sadly. Murph is a different situation as we are not exactly drowning in mids atm.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #127
footage of those tackles?
You'll have to give me some time, 285 games to edit.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #128
It takes me a while to collect my thoughts after a loss  :-[

Our second quarter was atrocious but when you consider that Robinson, Cameron, Rich, Rayner and Coleman were all gifted goals from dubious frees and we got nothing in our forward line, a three goal loss isn’t all that bad.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #129
Since this topic is still going, I said it in my original post, and I will say it again.

Edited for accuracy  :)
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #130
Short memories, some people.

"Let Murphy go, in order to give the kids a go"

Remember what happenned at the start of '19 when Bolton played all the kids in the middle - we got smashed.  Teague has even been lambasted as a 1 trick pony, because all he has done is to play Curnow and Murphy on the ball and that is what has turned this around.

Yes, he cant tackle anymore.  Yes he butchers the ball more often than he should as a bloke with elite skills.  Yes, he has slowed down a touch.  

But, he is still best 22.  Still provides polish that we sorely lack.  His ability to kick a goal out of nothing, or to be a crucial link in a centre clearance that actually leads to something, or to be clean when others are fumbly are what we desperately need.

Reply #131
At this writing, yes, he is best 22. Whether he is next season will depend on trades, injuries, and how quickly the kids on our list get to the level required. If all three work in our favour, Murph may be a back up and play only a handful of games.

Reply #132
At this writing, yes, he is best 22. Whether he is next season will depend on trades, injuries, and how quickly the kids on our list get to the level required. If all three work in our favour, Murph may be a back up and play only a handful of games.

Purely by virtue of his experience, he falls into the 22 for mine

Reply #133
As our midfield gets better, Murphy will perform better too.  The less rough and tumble stuff he has to do the more effective he will be.

There are still times when coaches switch players to stop his influence when he is up and running.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #134
Murphy is not going to get better.

He's not a natural outside player and his body can't cope with the demands of playing inside anymore.
He should have retired.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!