Skip to main content
Topic: Post Game Analysis: AFL 2021 Rd 12: Carlton vs West Coast (Read 12585 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Post Game Analysis: AFL 2021 Rd 12: Carlton vs West Coast

Reply #75
More of the old, we all sat down as a group and handed out some "home truths" and the players really took it on board and committed to turning things around and blah, blah, blah . . . . . . . .   insert throwing up emoji here---->🤮🤮

Coming together is the beginning.
Keeping together is progress.
Working together is success.
Henry Ford.

Reply #76
That's a good post Lods. I tend to agree.

It’s amazing how many times a handball either missed by an inch, or hit a bloke under the hammer - just little things that cost us big.  Maybe this is just a factor of not playing together enough, along with confidence

Reply #77
Bad timing to drop Casboult.
Had to be done, was next to useless last week and would not have made one iota of difference today I reckon.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #79
Crikey, that's a tough one. I've been the president of a local football club, but that just meant doing all those jobs that no one else would do. Never interfered with the running of the team or offered advice on how the team could improve so I suggest that's probably how things work at the top level, but if I had the opportunity, personally, I would sit down one on one with each and every player and ask them to be honest with me and let me know what is wrong, how do we fix it and do you want to be a part of the solution.
Something different needs to be done by the entire staff Rock. If this continues after the bye, its gonna get ugly.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #80
Guys, we lost! Stop having a go at each other. This behaviour is not satisfactory!
Why were those posts deleted? It wasn't offensive and I love laj's insightful and awesome game knowledge and this needs to be brought to the fore. Everyone should have the pleasure of learning from his critical thinking and mastery of the English language...

Jog on... 🤘👌👀
Drugs are bad, mmmkay...

Reply #81
It’s amazing how many times a handball either missed by an inch, or hit a bloke under the hammer - just little things that cost us big.  Maybe this is just a factor of not playing together enough, along with confidence

It's a strong possibility. Our two prized recruits, who were supposed to propel us up the ladder, have played about 10 games with us. You don't build synergy and connection in that time frame IMO.

I hope that's all it is, and there isn't issues that are harder to fix.

Reply #83
Every game against a top 8 side is the same result.
16 points to 28 points.....every one of them.

Kruddler I know you've watched our boys closely for a long time. Overall, we've had similar views.

I'd be keen to hear how you expect us to go post-bye against generally lower ranked teams.
Coming together is the beginning.
Keeping together is progress.
Working together is success.
Henry Ford.

Reply #84
I agree.    Casboult has struggled all year with his knee and poor form. 

However we do continue to pick underdone players and for a 2nd week in a row struggled to run out a game.  

Fisher looked great early.   Unsighted late.

Reply #85
Coaches presser -

“We’ve got to roll our sleeves up and get back to the basics”

FARKllllllll

Please tell me he didn't say that.

Reply #86
A slightly unusual game for WC. They like to play a precise kick mark game, which usually means they have more uncontested possession and more marks than their opposition. Today, they killed us in the contest. We had more marks, and more uncontested possessions, and it's unusual for WC to lost those stats. We also had less turnovers and a greater DE.

Reply #87
Presser - “ I believe in this group”

Would you ever see Ron Barassi High Five his players.... PERLEASE

Reply #88
Just back from watching my second game in 7 days - a blessing and curse for my son and I.

Only things to add from last week.

1 - The leadership of this team [captains, senior players and coaches] have some serious questions to answer over the break. The lack of system, structure, desperation and commitment when the going gets hard is glaring - and every opposition knows it. The lack of pressure  and blokes going only 80% is shocking. And it starts at the top - Cripps doesn’t run anywhere near hard enough when we don’t have the ball, Murphy is embarrassing in his his lack of physicality and determination, and even Weitering looks like he is struggling to get out of second gear. We have plenty of guys not playing to an acceptable standard, but it always starts at the top.
2 - our ability to execute our skills under pressure and find a player in a better position is amateur hour most of the time. The number of times we crapped ourselves and kicked the ball straight to a WCE player was almost laughable in the end. The way we move the ball forward on anything other than a fast break is excruciating to watch live.
3 - the question I would ask the players and coaches is “what do they stand for”? Their is a lot of very good footballers in that list but collectively they play with no teamwork, no desire and no hunger. They lack physicality, skills and fitness. They aren’t a smart team, or physically tough. At the moment the team stands for absolutely nothing as far as I can see.
4 -  after watching the same thing happen 8 times in 12 weeks any sensible leader would ask themselves “what are we going to do differently to get a different result next time?”. What is the circuit breaker or light bulb moment for this group?

You can’t tell me that they haven’t “been rolling the sleeves up a doing the hard work” for the last 12 games so the coach saying that is a nonsense. IMO the coach is on very thin ice as we are clearly a bottom 6 team right now and that is simply not acceptable. I have never been a ‘sack the coach’ person but after watching the same thing for a season and half with almost zero discernible forward progress for this group I would be sounding out Clarkson. We need someone who really knows to set high standards of performance and not settle for anything less.

Reply #89
Kruddler I know you've watched our boys closely for a long time. Overall, we've had similar views.

I'd be keen to hear how you expect us to go post-bye against generally lower ranked teams.
I've kinda talked about it a bit just now in this thread....
https://www.carltonsc.com/index.php?topic=5377.msg337029

I expect to go well.

As long as we don't completely change tact and say this season is a right off and say, drop Murphy for the rest of the year and play LOB for 'development' then i think we should fall close to, but just outside the 8......basically as expected at the start of the year.

My biggest worry at this point is that with the natives being restless, our club will go into its usual self destruct mode and everything goes out the window. If we keep doing what we are doing, yes i know how that sounds, then by the end of the year we will be a confident team who has won more than they've lost in the second half of the year and are looking forward to continuing that into 2022.

I'm looking forward to seeing Charlie and Harry in the same side.
I'm looking forward to seeing how much TDK improves being fully fit.
I'm looking forward to seeing Dow growing each week to a point where he belongs.
I'm looking forward to seeing a team that we can be proud of.

- It starts with GWS in 2 weeks time. Plenty of scouting time. Plenty of reevaluation time and some hard truths. If we don't come out snarling in that one, THEN you should be worried.
- Then we are scheduled to play Crows in Melbourne. Certainly winnable, i expect to win.
- Dockers in WA looking for revenge, but we seem to play well against them.
Suddenly we've got 3 in a row.
- Tough one against the Cats follows. Loss.
- Then the run we've been waiting for. Pies, Kangas, Saints, Suns.......4 winnable games.
At this stage, we could very easily have won  7 from our last 8 games and the Teague Train is back on track. However, i do expect us to lose one of those games and be 6 from 8.
- Finish with Port and Giants again, call it 1-1.
End result is 11-11 finish.