Skip to main content
Topic: Post Game Analysis: AFL 2021 Rd 12: Carlton vs West Coast (Read 12581 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Post Game Analysis: AFL 2021 Rd 12: Carlton vs West Coast

Reply #180
We probably pissed him off when we ignored both his boys
We can't have it both ways though, some justified the demise of SOS on the basis of perceived nepotism.

If SOS returns tomorrow, I bet Ben doesn't!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #181
While there may be more to it, the lack of initial support for Newman when he crashed head first is concerning.

The Kane "Fwit" Cornes piece on this was scathing (as you can imagine)....  when he first went down play was going on, so you can excuse no-one going to him).  havent gone back to look at what happened when play stopped.   youd hope there would be a reason for this, esp for a bloke who has faught back from injury...

Reply #182
The Kane "Fwit" Cornes piece on this was scathing (as you can imagine)....  when he first went down play was going on, so you can excuse no-one going to him).  havent gone back to look at what happened when play stopped.   youd hope there would be a reason for this, esp for a bloke who has faught back from injury...
They also showed the lack of support for Stocker first goal a few weeks ago. ALL teams get around a bloke to a man when he kicks his first, its like a right of passage. We need to fix this pronto, when you run out, all you have is the 21 other blokes around you.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #183
Caught a glimpse of former Carlton player Adrian Hickmott behind Adam Simpson in the Eagles box after the game.
I think he looks after the Eagles defence.
Hickmott was one of my favourite players.

What you wouldn't give for a couple of Adrian Hickmott's in the side at the moment.
That's the type of attitude, courage and commitment we need to see from our group.
We probably pissed him off when we ignored both his boys

That smart move may have just come back to bite us 😖

All jokes aside, we're all seeing our major weakness exposed. Until ME becomes WE, we'll languish at the bottom.

No savior or supercoach will change a thing. It's mindset. For the greater good. A clear plan/goals, adequately resourced methods/processes, and people prepared to stick to the plan/roles - for the greater good. The rewards of success perpetuate cohesion.
Coming together is the beginning.
Keeping together is progress.
Working together is success.
Henry Ford.

Reply #184
That smart move may have just come back to bite us 😖

All jokes aside, we're all seeing our major weakness exposed. Until ME becomes WE, we'll languish at the bottom.

No savior or supercoach will change a thing. It's mindset. For the greater good. A clear plan/goals, adequately resourced methods/processes, and people prepared to stick to the plan/roles - for the greater good. The rewards of success perpetuate cohesion.

And for Paulys benefit, that is the main message of his mate Sellars.
Team is short for sacrifice yourself for your team mate, it’s Sellars mantra when he talks of Carlton, he doesn’t think we do/are.
Let’s go BIG !

Reply #185
And for Paulys benefit, that is the main message of his mate Sellars.
Team is short for sacrifice yourself for your team mate, it’s Sellars mantra when he talks of Carlton, he doesn’t think we do/are.

You can see my comment in this thread :

https://www.carltonsc.com/index.php?topic=5554.msg337622#msg337622

Reply #186
You’re still missing his message Paul.
Let’s go BIG !

Reply #187
@PaulP is correct about the root cause, when your club lacks stability, when players see turmoil, their focus becomes survival not sacrifice.

This is not a recent Carlton phenomenon, it's been happening for two decades, basically since Parkin last departed.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #188
Its not just Sellars saying we dont have it by the way. Many are calling our players and the way they play selfish.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #189

That is an inevitability, since I don't listen to anything he says, unless I come across it on these forums.

So, please explain to me the true meaning behind the great man's words.

Reply #190
That is an inevitability, since I don't listen to anything he says, unless I come across it on these forums.

So, please explain to me the true meaning behind the great man's words.
I dont have a lot of time for Sellars in general however I think his main message and the message from other observers is for our players to:
- Stop thinking about ME and starting thinking about US
- Work for each other and demand high standards from your peers (whether you are a first gamer or a 295 gamer)
I found the comments about nice boys interesting not because of the messenger, but more from the point of view of what mindset is required to play football today. We hear of teams who play "unsociable" football (ie Geel, Rich, Haw and to some extent Syd) and many refer to our blokes as Choir Boys or the Von Trapp kids. I wonder if other teams think that of us also and take advantage of it.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #191
Sellars continual berating and attack of the club heavily contributes to the problem, it offers no cures.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #192
I dont have a lot of time for Sellars in general however I think his main message and the message from other observers is for our players to:
- Stop thinking about ME and starting thinking about US
- Work for each other and demand high standards from your peers (whether you are a first gamer or a 295 gamer)
I found the comments about nice boys interesting not because of the messenger, but more from the point of view of what mindset is required to play football today. We hear of teams who play "unsociable" football (ie Geel, Rich, Haw and to some extent Syd) and many refer to our blokes as Choir Boys or the Von Trapp kids. I wonder if other teams think that of us also and take advantage of it.

IMO, the me not us is a direct result of the behaviour of the board and executive over last 20 years, as LP has described elsewhere, players go into a certain self preservation mode. The other aspect is that the high list turnover means that you will end up with a whole bunch of me's and not one us. Our two biggest recruits since Judd have played about 10 games each, and they are supposed to propel us up the ladder.

Re our poor defence. is it down to the lack of synergy that I refer to ? Is it down to coaching instruction ? Does Teague let players off the hook too easily ? Most supporters would say the last option, because that's the standard supporter response, but I'm not convinced.

Our turnover / skill error issues are IMO, directly the result of the headspace and instability / lack of synergy issues that I mention. Let the team settle, give them stability, give them support, and watch things improve. That's my opinion.

Reply #193
I haven't been able to watch the game until now. There was simply too much anger and disappointment with Sunday's result for me to tolerate watching another loss. But I am looking at it now. My observations:
[1] We were pretty damned good in the 1st Quarter. The only thing we couldn't do is kick a goal. Silvagni was excellent, as was Murphy. Setters was good except for his kicking. He should have had 3 goals. One shot didn't even get 35 m!
[2] MicNat was the difference. Simple as that. The guy is such a good ruckman when he is on.
[3] Tom de Koning showed a bit as a resting ruck. But he played almost purely forward after H went down.
[4] With H going off, we were rudderless. It robbed us in the ruck and it robber us in the forward line.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #194
I haven't been able to watch the game until now. There was simply too much anger and disappointment with Sunday's result for me to tolerate watching another loss. But I am looking at it now. My observations:
[1] We were pretty damned good in the 1st Quarter. The only thing we couldn't do is kick a goal. Silvagni was excellent, as was Murphy. Setters was good except for his kicking. He should have had 3 goals. One shot didn't even get 35 m!
[2] MicNat was the difference. Simple as that. The guy is such a good ruckman when he is on.
[3] Tom de Koning showed a bit as a resting ruck. But he played almost purely forward after H went down.
[4] With H going off, we were rudderless. It robbed us in the ruck and it robber us in the forward line.
Agreed.

I don't get some of the hate towards a few of our players, it's like the people doing the commenting did not watch the game!
The Force Awakens!