Skip to main content
Topic: Pre game postulations: AFL 2020 Rd 5: Carlton vs St. Kilda (Read 6976 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Pre game postulations: AFL 2020 Rd 5: Carlton vs St. Kilda

Reply #30
Anyone know why we've been switched from the MCG to Marvel?

Might have something to do with the MCG and the lights.

I think there is some rule that means the MCG can't be used more than x-amount of times for night games, or more than y-amount of hours per year. Might also be a certain amount of notice required for residnets.

Alternatively....
The AFL owns Etihad, can close the roof and pretty much do what they want.

Reply #31
I'm not expecting Doc to have the freedom he has had the last few weeks with a fwd playing a defensive role on him.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #32
I'm not expecting Doc to have the freedom he has had the last few weeks with a fwd playing a defensive role on him.
Before doc did his knees he played like that every week and was AA. I'm amazed at how well he has returned.  Pure class.  I also suspect teams will start thinking seriously about trying to curb his influence but I also think he's good enough to win out most weeks.

Reply #33
I can't remember us beating the saints at the dome.

That switch hurts our chances.  We generally play better at the g.  The saints usually do better at the dome.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #34
I can't remember us beating the saints at the dome.

That switch hurts our chances.  We generally play better at the g.  The saints usually do better at the dome.

Yes, we're better at the G. No question.

But we're not sooks anymore right?
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #35
Right.  I said hurts our chances for a reason. 
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #36
Losing SoJ hurts us, great contested mark for his size rarely gets beaten, so I wouldn't be surprised to find if he is fit that McKay comes straight back in, he is tall and quick across the ground a tough match up indoors.

I'm not sure the Aints or any team have the defence to go with our KPFs if and when our KPFs are switched on.

Let's see what tactics Ratten will come up with, against us I suspect the Aints rucks will float defensive side of centre and for them to be very reliant on a wide spread of small forward and midfield goal kickers.

If our KPFs kick 2 or 3 each we probably win.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #37
Out JSOS, Simpson (managed)
In McKay, Fisher

This gives Simmo a rest (5 day turnaround) keeps Philps in for another week and gets Fisher back in the side. Move Newnes to the half back line.

Reply #38
This gives Simmo a rest (5 day turnaround) keeps Philps in for another week and gets Fisher back in the side. Move Newnes to the half back line.
 I'd leave Philps in the D50, he'll be better this week and can rundown opponents, he lost his way a bit last week, but when he had to commit he did.

I doubt Fisher will come straight back in
The Force Awakens!

Reply #39
Only forced changes imo. Got to keep backing in a winning team for the moment. I don't think we had anybody who put in a bad one v. the Bombers, although Plowman looked a little shakey at times.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #40
Only forced changes imo. Got to keep backing in a winning team for the moment. I don't think we had anybody who put in a bad one v. the Bombers, although Plowman looked a little shakey at times.
Plowman did some nice stuff also, he's not in the same bracket as a Weitering or Jones so I'm not going to hold him to the same level of expectation.

Some of the general defensive problems came from Jones chaos punching which caused an imminent turnover, also while on ruck rotations Levi interfered with our marking defenders a couple of times in recent weeks. But we mustn't stop Levi attacking the ball, we cannot afford him to be hesitant. With Levi, see ball get ball, no further instructions needed and most of the time it'll work in our favour.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #41
@LP
Agree. I don't think Plow should be dropped atm either but we do need to keep a watchful eye on him. I'm sure he is being made aware of where he needs to improve or play differently, as hopefully, are all the players.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #42
Losing SoJ hurts us, great contested mark for his size rarely gets beaten, so I wouldn't be surprised to find if he is fit that McKay comes straight back in, he is tall and quick across the ground a tough match up indoors.

I'm not sure the Aints or any team have the defence to go with our KPFs if and when our KPFs are switched on.

Let's see what tactics Ratten will come up with, against us I suspect the Aints rucks will float defensive side of centre and for them to be very reliant on a wide spread of small forward and midfield goal kickers.

If our KPFs kick 2 or 3 each we probably win.

CFC site reports Fisher and Harry likely ins.

Harry for SOJ.

Who goes out for Fish? Surely they'll not drop Philp?
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #43
https://www.carltonfc.com.au/news/734938/reserves-player-by-player-review-v-essendon?fbclid=IwAR2qcdIyuY00cQB10mdNqMzWrRAT2i-VzAQpAOAzb4g8mtYe697qdj9IIfM

7. Matthew Kennedy
It’s probably the second week in a row where I think he’s been the most influential player on the ground. He found the most amount of footy out of anyone and competed really hard. He ran back with the flight a couple of times which was inspirational to the rest of the group. The beauty of him is he just gets back up and goes.

The best thing about his game at the moment is his break and his run: it’s improved out of sight over the last 12 months. His ability to now make the ground big and get on the end of it with a couple of goals has been really good.

25. Zac Fisher
‘Fish’ was great. He has obviously come off an extended break but it’s like he didn’t lose much at all. When ‘Fish’ is going really well, his feet are going and that’s certainly what he brought: the lateral step and the fast feet to get out of the contest. He was able to compete really well in the contest and I think he had a game-high for tackles, which was eight. He was fantastic throughout the day, he finished a really nice couple of goals and some repeat efforts to set up some others.

His triple tackle will find his way into the review: that team aspect is what we loved. The follow up is everyone got around him, in a way welcoming him back off that one effort.

Finals, then 4 in a row!