Skip to main content
Topic: Pre game postulations: AFL 2020 Rd 5: Carlton vs St. Kilda (Read 6958 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Pre game postulations: AFL 2020 Rd 5: Carlton vs St. Kilda

Reply #75
I reckon Setterfield does a solid defensive job each week and is winning more of the ball with each game.  I think that he will be a very good player for us for many years to come.

Fisher’s best is very good but he goes missing too much.  If he can become more consistent (like Cuners) he could be a very important player.  Perhaps he needs better players around him  :-\

We’ll see tonight and I hope he has a ripper game!
I think guys like Fisher and Cuningham are both too small and light to be expected to perform in traffic to a high level week in and week out, it is just too tiring for them even if they survive the brutality of the contest.

Setterfield is different, he's a different size and weight, he's got to get his head around not being an outside receiver ever, he cannot waste his and the clubs time by being a passive observer at the contest. Like Cripps, Setterfield must be one of the players taking affirmative action in traffic and stoppages! Setterfield needs to think of himself as a poor mans Cripps or Fyfe, nobody expects him to be racking up 35 possessions with 20 contested hard ball gets, but if he is in there competing the opposition do not get easy footy either. When he observes he is too slow to impact the contest, he's no good as a hunter of players because he can't catch them, so he has to hunt the football.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #76
I just wonder whether blokes like Fisher and Setterfield are those in between VFL and AFL types. That is, too good for VFL, not good enough for AFL.

Justin Murphy has to be the all time clubhouse leader in this - you'd watch him in the 2s, and think he was a cross between Chris Judd and Craig Bradley, then he would give donughts in the 1s.

Fisher had that good year 2 years ago when he was played in the guts, then struggled last year with a new role and injuries - im hoping he will develop into a valuable hff/wing.  Setters is still very early in his development, and (outside a few freaks), inside mids take a while - hoping he will be a solid contibutor

Reply #77
Justin Murphy has to be the all time clubhouse leader in this - you'd watch him in the 2s, and think he was a cross between Chris Judd and Craig Bradley, then he would give donughts in the 1s.

Fisher had that good year 2 years ago when he was played in the guts, then struggled last year with a new role and injuries - im hoping he will develop into a valuable hff/wing.  Setters is still very early in his development, and (outside a few freaks), inside mids take a while - hoping he will be a solid contibutor

Thought Murphy went pretty well. Certainly AFL level. Was close to BOG in a Grand Final until he did his knee.

Reply #78
I think guys like Fisher and Cuningham are both too small and light to be expected to perform in traffic to a high level week in and week out, it is just too tiring for them even if they survive the brutality of the contest.

Setterfield is different, he's a different size and weight, he's got to get his head around not being an outside receiver ever, he cannot waste his and the clubs time by being a passive observer at the contest. Like Cripps, Setterfield must be one of the players taking affirmative action in traffic and stoppages! Setterfield needs to think of himself as a poor mans Cripps or Fyfe, nobody expects him to be racking up 35 possessions with 20 contested hard ball gets, but if he is in there competing the opposition do not get easy footy either. When he observes he is too slow to impact the contest, he's no good as a hunter of players because he can't catch them, so he has to hunt the football.

Cuners is bigger than Joel Selwood.

Fisher the same height as Neale, just 10kg lighter!
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #79
I reckon Setterfield does a solid defensive job each week and is winning more of the ball with each game.  I think that he will be a very good player for us for many years to come.

Fisher’s best is very good but he goes missing too much.  If he can become more consistent (like Cuners) he could be a very important player.  Perhaps he needs better players around him  :-\

We’ll see tonight and I hope he has a ripper game!
Cunners has put together 1 solid and above average performance, I need to see that consistently from him before I judge, clear the talent is there. Fish has had 6 x 25+ disp games (28 disp max)(16.2 ave) in his 56 games for 9 goals. Setters has 3 x 24 disp games, thats it in the 20's in his 24 games(15.04 ave). Both still babies I get it, one off a knee reco but I just dont see what everyone else does. Time will tell. Cunners has just 29 games so just a baby also. However, Its time to produce at the level everyone thinks they are capable off.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #80
Beat me to it Fly; Cuners is a big lump of a lad and should be more than capable of spending time in the midfield each week.

Fish is on the small side for an AFL player and you wouldn’t want him in a bash and crash role.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #81
An overwhelming majority of tipsters have picked the Aints tonight.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #82
Current betting has Saints at $1.80 and us $2. Sounds about right IMO.

Reply #83
An overwhelming majority of tipsters have picked the Aints tonight.
Not surprising really. They played some really good fast footy last week against a fair side while we bumbled our way through against average at best opposition. That plus we don't play that well at Marvel and they do. Still, things have to change one day maybe tonight it all starts?

Reply #84
Cuners is bigger than Joel Selwood.

Fisher the same height as Neale, just 10kg lighter!
Well we don't have to highlight how "relatively soft" Fisher and Cuningham are compared to Joel Selwood just to prove my point! ;D

But seriously, guys like Fisher and Cuningham will fatigue very quickly if they have to compete week in and week out with players of the likes of a Cripps, Fyfe, Bontempelli, Dangerfield, Martin, etc., etc..

When we already lack run and spread, why would we wish Fisher and Cuningham further inside punishment which only takes the run out of their legs? It's as silly as fans wanting sMurph to play as an inside bullocking midfielder.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #85
Um no, the Selwood analogy simply shows that Cuners could play a largely full time inside role (well as much as Selwood).

After all, he's also quicker than Selwood by a margin. Selwood's almost clocked up 300 games - decent longevity?

(btw, Cuners has 2cm and a few kg on Selwood)

Fisher's a lightweight midget, mostly outside is obviously the role for him.
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #86
Fisher played inside at U18 level and played WAFL @61kg......

Brent Harvey 172cm 75kg......if you are good enough you can make it, agree its harder but Fisher has the talent as long as he gets the support from his bigger team-mates. Problem we have its not the most vigorous or hard hitting team that Fisher plays for...Harvey had Archer, Carey, Martyn, Pickett, Pike, Mooney, Stevens and King  down at Nth doing the heavy lifting while he supplied the creative silk.

Reply #87

But seriously, guys like Fisher and Cuningham will fatigue very quickly if they have to compete week in and week out with players of the likes of a Cripps, Fyfe, Bontempelli, Dangerfield, Martin, etc., etc..

When we already lack run and spread, why would we wish Fisher and Cuningham further inside punishment which only takes the run out of their legs? It's as silly as fans wanting sMurph to play as an inside bullocking midfielder.
Che? What the fark are they paying Jack Russell for then? To make them fatigue? FMD I can do that for them for free.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #88
Fisher played inside at U18 level and played WAFL @61kg......

Brent Harvey 172cm 75kg......if you are good enough you can make it, agree its harder but Fisher has the talent as long as he gets the support from his bigger team-mates. Problem we have its not the most vigorous or hard hitting team that Fisher plays for...Harvey had Archer, Carey, Martyn, Pickett, Pike, Mooney, Stevens and King  down at Nth doing the heavy lifting while he supplied the creative silk.

With all due respect EB, Fisher's only role is outside at AFL level. He would be rag dolled inside and would frankly fill his shorts if he had to put his nose over it time and time again. What role he played at Schoolboy or U18 means jack now. Some kids thrive at AFL level (ie Rowell) in the contest, others? Well, Fish is an example of "others".
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #89
Looks like Fisher's a late out by the way.
Finals, then 4 in a row!