Skip to main content
Topic: Pre game postulations: AFL 2020 Rd 5: Carlton vs St. Kilda (Read 6828 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Pre game postulations: AFL 2020 Rd 5: Carlton vs St. Kilda

Reply #60
In H and Fish
Out SOS and Philp
These two better perform.

That's what i picked earlier in the week.

Makes the most sense. Strongest team possible.

Its a shame for Philp, but he got exposed to the speed of AFL and will be better for it.
No point picking him again if it is to the detriment of the team in doing so.
We no longer need to hand out games for the sake of it.

Reply #61
In fairness to SOS he probably thought he had Papley across the line before Essendon fecked up the Daniher move and in turn the Papley trade. With Papley, Eddie and Martin all likely he probably felt Butler was one too many of that ilk.
Would love to have Papley in Blue now!
2024... Moir of the same to come

Reply #62
Nice to win and go 3-2, and 9-7 since Teague took over. We'd have to start being taken reasonably seriously at least then. Hopefully it come to pass.

Reply #63
Would love to have Papley in Blue now!

My recollection is that Harley had agreed to terms on Papley wiuth SOS irrespective of how the Daniher deal played out.

But Harley spat the dummy when the Daniher deal didn't pan out.

He then reneged on his deal with SOS.
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #64
Round 5 team

Backs:

Lachie Plowman

Liam Jones

Kade Simpson

Half-backs:

Sam Docherty

Jacob Weitering

Sam Petrevski-Seton

Centreline:

Sam Walsh

Patrick Cripps

Marc Murphy

Half-forwards:

Mitch McGovern

Levi Casboult

David Cuningham

Forwards:

Eddie Betts

Harry McKay

Michael Gibbons

Followers:

Marc Pittonet

Ed Curnow

Jack Martin

Interchange:

Tom Williamson

Jack Newnes

Will Setterfield

Zac Fisher

Emergencies:

Sam Philp

Lochie O'Brien

Callum Moore

Matthew Kennedy

In: Zac Fisher, Harry McKay

Out: Jack Silvagni (ribs), Sam Philp
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #65
No surprises but a pity Philp has to make way. He'll be back though.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #66
I reckon Philp should have been given another game purely on the basis of that sublime pick up under pressure in the last quarter.

One game and out is not a good way to introduce a young bloke to the pressures of AFL and it could make him even more nervous when he gets his next chance. 

Fish needs more than a cameo ten possessions to justify Philp's omission.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #67
Hopefully, they forewarned him before his debut that others were likely to supplant him once recovered from injury.

Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #68
I just look at their back 6 and say 'is that it'?

FB
[33] Ben Paton, (20g, 187cm, 79kg) Betts
[44] Callum Wilkie, (26g, 191cm, 87kg) the Guv
[2] Jake Carlisle (137g, 200cm, 106kg) Big H
HB
[21] Ben Long, (34g, 184cm, 79kg) Cuners/Gibbo
[20] Dougal Howard, (49g, 199cm, 92kg) Levi
[14] Jarryn Geary (190g, 183cm, 82kg) Martin

Lot of inexperience there and our talls are simply better players than theirs by some margin.
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #69
I reckon Philp should have been given another game purely on the basis of that sublime pick up under pressure in the last quarter.

One game and out is not a good way to introduce a young bloke to the pressures of AFL and it could make him even more nervous when he gets his next chance. 

Ditto Setterfield, SPS and Ol Mate Cunners needs go back it up.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #70
Yep,  Fisher has work to do to win back a few of the doubters.  Glimpses and cameos aren't enough anymore,  to improve as a club he (and a few others) needs to start delivering a lot more.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #71
Yep,  Fisher has work to do to win back a few of the doubters.  Glimpses and cameos aren't enough anymore,  to improve as a club he (and a few others) needs to start delivering a lot more.
I just wonder whether blokes like Fisher and Setterfield are those in between VFL and AFL types. That is, too good for VFL, not good enough for AFL.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #72
I just wonder whether blokes like Fisher and Setterfield are those in between VFL and AFL types. That is, too good for VFL, not good enough for AFL.

I take encouragement from Cunners who finally has started to look good, if he can keep it up. Fish and Setterfield could do the same. We have actually seen already how good Fish can be - he just has to regain form as he has the talent,
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #73

Well said.

In his (Philp) after game interview it sounded as if he already knew that this year might hold such decisions. Personally, I believe his leg speed would have been really useful against the Aints.

And I completely agree with other comments here re: Fisher and Setterfield. And Plowman's form worries me somewhat as well. There'd want to be some good stuff from Fisher, Setterfield, Plowman and Newnes for mine. And time for H to do more as well. Might sound a little too critical but if we're to start winning games by deserved margins then we cannot have passengers.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #74

I reckon Setterfield does a solid defensive job each week and is winning more of the ball with each game.  I think that he will be a very good player for us for many years to come.

Fisher’s best is very good but he goes missing too much.  If he can become more consistent (like Cuners) he could be a very important player.  Perhaps he needs better players around him  :-\

We’ll see tonight and I hope he has a ripper game!
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball