Skip to main content
Topic: Australian Cricket - Crisis, What Crisis ?? (Read 572732 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Australian Cricket - Crisis, What Crisis ??

Reply #1485
An all-rounder not doing well enough with bat to hold a place,  and not bowling enough (which equates to not enough wickets as well)  to contribute.   Not surprised he was dropped.

Pace bowling all-rounders are gold,  but if we don't have one up to snuff,  look elsewhere

Could be a long couple days in the field with the weather  if we lose the toss and Starc sprays the pill around before lunch. Head might need to contribute a few overs.

Hazelwood & Cummings need to take the new ball....Starc can come on after they've built up a bit of pressure......and release it all

Life is pain....... anyone who says differently is selling something.

Reply #1486
Hazelwood & Cummings need to take the new ball....Starc can come on after they've built up a bit of pressure......and release it all

But it's not ODI or T20, I think in tests Starc spraying the ball just makes him harder to bat against for the long haul.

In an ODI or T20 batsmen are primed for a short period of time to maximise the return from loose deliveries. It's too hard to stay in the ODI mindset during a test innings, and the fields are set to dismiss not to restrict. In test cricket generally they get set for the long haul and look to score from the predictable deliveries, almost the exact opposite.

I've had debates with family about McGrath, why was he so good if he was so predictable? But that opinion comes from cursory analysis. If you look at McGrath his control was so good that he could deliver little cutters in either direction, and land the ball around defects in the pitch at an uncomfortable length, with ridiculous ease. He could find what makes the batsmen uncomfortable and repeat it with ease.

Starc is a different prospect, in my opinion he must be more like batting against Thommo, you don't know what is coming because he doesn't know what is coming, and it all happens so quickly blink and your dead! Thommo was the same in tests and ODI as Starc, generally expensive but possible devastating. Thommo could take 5/40 or 0/100 on the same pitch, you never knew what you were going to get!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #1487
Gee it is nice to hear Tim Lane back doing cricket commentary !

Reply #1488
Starc taking the pressure off at 1 end as usual......

Edit....but gets a wicket with 1 ball on line !  Typical...

Reply #1489
Starc taking the pressure off at 1 end as usual......

Edit....but gets a wicket with 1 ball on line !  Typical...

Fans forget Starc spent most of his junior career as a keeper.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #1490
4 Wickets in the first session! Great start.

That catch from Kawaja... wowsers  ;D

Reply #1491
Cummins shouldn't be underestimated.  Bowls wicked off cutters and takes wickets with pure effort balls when the pitch is flat and doing nothing.

Makes me laugh though,  blokes averaging 50+ with good techniques  being found out by footwork deficient shots against solid test match bowling.... Sustained pressure causing batsmen to go hard at sucker balls.  If the Indians reckon this is tough,  they won't want to see a spicy deck.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #1492
I doubt the purists will be happy with the new Test Cap manufacturer.  The coat of arms is a disgrace.  Thanks Kookaburra

Reply #1493
I doubt the purists will be happy with the new Test Cap manufacturer.  The coat of arms is a disgrace.  Thanks Kookaburra

Do you have any images to reference?
The Force Awakens!

Reply #1494
Great start by our lads!
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #1495
How much better would it be Day / Night?
The Force Awakens!

Reply #1496
5 for 86.
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #1497
I just noticed a GPS device under Harris’s whites.  I guess I hadn’t really considered that high performance folk would be monitoring cricketers’ activity  ???
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #1498
Do you have any images to reference?

I'll have to do that tomorrow ... guts of it is this

1.  No eyes on emu or kangaroo

2.  Zero thread relief anywhere in both emu and kangaroo

3.  No plumage on tail of emu

4.  Sun rays and stripe beneath now missing colours

6.  "AUSTRALIA" now solid yellow border, not broken

CA took the contract off Albion and they weren't about to surrender its pattern to kookaburra.  Albion manufactured the cap for over 50 years

The new one is terrible

Reply #1499
The new one is terrible

I suppose it's made in India or China now.

Back to the cricket, I long for the old days when Aussie fast bowlers did their best to turn the fingers of opposition spinners to mush, it was their job to do so no sledging needed!
The Force Awakens!