Skip to main content
Topic: Australian Cricket - Crisis, What Crisis ?? (Read 572709 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Australian Cricket - Crisis, What Crisis ??

Reply #1725
Starc can't bowl two consecutive balls in the right spot.   Doesn't build pressure.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #1726
Starc can't bowl two consecutive balls in the right spot.   Doesn't build pressure.

That's why so many think he's a waste of space in ODI or T20s!

On a suitable pitch in test cricket he is valuable because his good balls take wickets, no matter how rare they are!

Notice the commentators making excuses for Mitch Marsh, "looks sore", "limping", "hobbled", "not throwing freely", will Marsh bowl today?

The Force Awakens!

Reply #1727
I expect M Marsh to bowl a LOT of overs today. Will take a miracle to win this Test from here, but if we bat well we can sneak out with a draw, in which case we need everyone in top shape for the back to back Test in Sydney. I'd be conserving Cummins and Starc, bowl lots of M Marsh, Hazlewood and Lyon

Reply #1728
Piss weak tactics from the Indians.   Grind for two days at at a snail's pace, wear out the other mob in the heat then try to cash in.   That's been their modus operandi for fifty years and why they can't win away.

Six sessions for 450 says you're not trying to force the game.  Now they're relying on Australia  to force the game,  creating opportunities for their bowlers.

We need to bat smart, minimum six sessions,  preferably all nine.   Give'em back their own medicine.  Bat time,  runs will come and for goodness sake,  don't try to force the rate. That's when wickets fall.

Great effort for Finch and Harris to hold out until stumps,  first hurdle jumped... And a cheeky little bird back at ya.

Reply #1729
Yes Prof, it was India 101.

Very strange really - but again, maybe they were shocked by the carpy pitch too - which really is a blight on the MCC and Australian cricket - no excuses shiuld be accepted eg the "long term plan" - it's 2018 ffs.

How to turn the public (even more) off cricket - produce a pitch like this one....
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #1730
Yep,  the footy gods hate us but maybe the cricket gods will throw us a bone.

Bat an immense amount of time,  thrash their bowlers then hang on in Sydney on a pitch that only suits one side   One all.   Hows them apples Virat?

Reply #1731
Piss weak tactics from the Indians.   Grind for two days at at a snail's pace, wear out the other mob in the heat then try to cash in.   That's been their modus operandi for fifty years and why they can't win away.

Yes it was like a time warp.

But having said that, did you notice as soon as the Bumrah and Sharma got out there the ball was swinging and moving sideways off the pitch. What happened when our lot had three new pills, not a deviation, even from the declared swing bowler Marsh and the supposed late swinging freak Starc!

Our lot might be good bowlers, but they are so far out of form it's not funny, and all we are hearing is that it's the pitches fault! Maybe not just out of form but over-rated! The pitched seemed to offer Sharma and Bumrah plenty, and Jadeja was turning the new ball plenty not that I'm blaming Lyon he just needs 10 new team-mates!

It's just too easy to stay in our test team, this culture of persisting with the squad no matter what is killing Australian cricket. They will have good patches when they are in good form, but those times are spread so thinly the majority of the time we will be sadly disappointed.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #1732
Yes it was like a time warp.

But having said that, did you notice as soon as the Bumrah and Sharma got out there the ball was swinging and moving sideways off the pitch. What happened when our lot had three new pills, not a deviation, even from the declared swing bowler Marsh and the supposed late swinging freak Starc!

Our lot might be good bowlers, but they are so far out of form it's not funny, and all we are hearing is that it's the pitches fault! Maybe not just out of form but over-rated! The pitched seemed to offer Sharma and Bumrah plenty, and Jadeja was turning the new ball plenty not that I'm blaming Lyon he just needs 10 new team-mates!

It's just too easy to stay in our test team, this culture of persisting with the squad no matter what is killing Australian cricket. They will have good patches when they are in good form, but those times are spread so thinly the majority of the time we will be sadly disappointed.

Pitch is already two paced and Bumrah aint slow and will skid on, Harris was lucky to survive last night, interesting bowler is Bumrah, no run up to speak of but was bowling 148k's with that whippy stiff arm action.
Think I heard he has bowled the most overs in international cricket in 2018 and was initially picked as a short format bowler, seems to enjoy bowling to lefties too. I'd be looking to keep him out and do my scoring at the other end where I think Shami/IShant are more hittable.
Got to get forward more on this wicket, can just see our blokes straddled across the crease, trapped in front/bowled....

Reply #1733
Where have all those dead pitch comments gone now?
The Force Awakens!

Reply #1734
Nah, EB,  won't require much effort or planning from Sharma ET AL.,   we've decided to throw our wickets away with lazy,  soft catches around the wicket. 

Spinners will be hardly required at this rate. Can't believe how inept these blokes are.   Utterly inept.

Reply #1735
I'm only reading commentary on Cricinfo because I'm working, but it doesn't sound like the pitch has anything to do with what's going on out there. We have a side full of batsmen that just have no idea how to bat in a test match. I love Khawaja, probably my favourite player in the current side, but he is having a terrible time of it. Just poor shot selection given the circumstances.

Reply #1736
Where have all those dead pitch comments gone now?

Bad batting will always overcome dead pitches LP  ;)

I think scoreboard pressure is a major factor now.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #1737
Bad batting will always overcome dead pitches LP  ;)

I think scoreboard pressure is a major factor now.

Yesterday it was a boring road, today it's deadly, unpredictable and breaking up!

It's not gone through some dramatic change.

The real difference is the discipline of the bowlers in building pressure by bowling at the stumps and in good zones. Our batsmen have hardly had a delivery they can leave! I'm normally a bowling booster having spent 17 years playing cricket as an all-rounder, but I just can't find a positive for our current crew of quicks, they are very average in terms of control and consistency and they are not beginners.

Not that I'm making excuses for a batsmen either, they have been average as well, the Indians can get wickets even when the ball doesn't bounce!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #1738
LP,  we read the pitch badly and bowled poorly.   Starc continues to be underwhelming.

Don't get me started on the Marsh duds.

Reply #1739
Yesterday it was a boring road, today it's deadly, unpredictable and breaking up!

It's not gone through some dramatic change.

The real difference is the discipline of the bowlers in building pressure by bowling at the stumps and in good zones. Our batsmen have hardly had a delivery they can leave! I'm normally a bowling booster having spent 17 years playing cricket as an all-rounder, but I just can't find a positive for our current crew of quicks, they are very average in terms of control and consistency and they are not beginners.

Not that I'm making excuses for a batsmen either, they have been average as well, the Indians can get wickets even when the ball doesn't bounce!

The commentators on the wireless had consistently described the pitch as flat and lacking bounce.  That doesn't suit our bowlers, including Lyon, who rely heavily on bounce.  The Indian bowlers have simply used the flat pitch better, but it does suit their style of bowling and preferred wicket taking methods.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball