Skip to main content
Topic: Australian Cricket - Crisis, What Crisis ?? (Read 572901 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Australian Cricket - Crisis, What Crisis ??

Reply #1756
Although the batting was ordinary I really don't think it is as bad as some make out, our real problem is how on a pitch that had variable bounce in both directions India made 7/443.

The pitch hasn't changed that much and we had India 8/106, the question has to be asked about the bowling, three new balls 443 runs and only 7 wickets! It's like after being shown how to bowl on it by the Indian 1st year player we were all good suddenly!

To me, against test bowlers, that wicket looked like a 300 - 350 run wicket at best from the first ball bowled, our experience much lauded bowling attack was pitiful.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #1757
Like football, cricket teams go through peaks & troughs with there teams, at the moment, after the ball tampering issue they are still trying to shake that off and re group, will take years . We have golden periods , they will come again, might be waiting a bit though

Reply #1758
Yep LP, greatly annoyed at how we needed to be shown how to bowl on this deck,
but I feel the field placements were a bit off and we always seemed to be chasing the game once the new bloke got off to a flier.

Hazlewood,  who I really like as a test bowler has lacked penetration and Starc is underwhelming. He doesn't look hungry and his pace is down.  His second innings was poor,  and continues a run of being poor after a big first innings effort.   He just doesn't come up, not unexpected after 177 overs.

I'd replace Starc next test,  he's cooked.   How's Neser going,  or Behrendorff or Tremain?

Harris and Finch are poor close in fielders, an area Handscombe excelled in.   The Indians made all those half chances but our Muppet's seemed to pick out the fielders with alarming regularity. Easier to take 'em in close if they hit it into your hands...

Can't believe the soft dismissals,  the blokes getting set and getting out.   Cameos don't win matches.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #1759
Neser 32 wickets at 32 this shield season, underwhelming. Best is Boland, 36 wickets at 17

Reply #1760
The only thing that will change out fortunes is introducing a world class bat in Smith. Maybe Warner but I would prefer not.

We have years in the doldrums in front of us.

Our preparation of young players is average at best.
They do not work hard enough on technique and certainly do not want to bat for long periods.

The emphasis on quick bucks at 20/20 level is of serious detriment to our test side

Reply #1761
Ed Cowan hit the nail on the head last night when he said that the Marsh brothers have had more than their share of opportunities at Test level when their performances show that they are not up to it.

If Ed was in charge, he would drop the Marsh brothers for Byrne and Wade and bat Finch at 6.

That sounds like a plan to me ... but I can’t see it happening  :(
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #1762
Your comment regarding not working hard enough on technique and being prepared to bat for long periods are spot on.

Grinds my gears to see blokes play get out shots.   Sometimes the pitch plays tricks or a bowler is simply too good but yesterday Finch inexplicably  committed batting suicide,  Harris shows no idea how to play off spin,  Head drove around one (misread line) and Mitch was deadest clueless. That attempt to take Jajeda down was embarrassing.

Basic skill deficiencies. So what are we going to do about it?    Finch should never play again (=replace),  Harris and Head have things to work on...but Marsh, he just can't bat.  He must go.

I know he isn't popular but Maxwell must be considered for six,  he at least has a clue how to serve it up to the spinners and his shield average isn't disgraceful.  If he can contribute a few overs that will help too.

Reply #1763
Nothing will change EB1 while we allow them to make more money in the IPL than they get for representing their country, and India knows it.

WSC set the template, it destroyed most of Australia's serious opposition, now India is following our example using the IPL.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #1764
How does India taking the extra time yesterday affect things?   Anybody familiar with the playing conditions?

Excluding rain delays,  does this mean a maximum of 82 overs instead of 90, or a half hour less play at the end of the day?

Reply #1765
Marnus Labuschagne added to the squad for Sydney. Averaging 29 with the bat and 59 with the ball in shield cricket this year. Don't mind the bloke, but the process of selection for Australian Test cricket at the moment is absolutely baffling to say the least

Reply #1766
Marnus Labuschagne added to the squad for Sydney. Averaging 29 with the bat and 59 with the ball in shield cricket this year. Don't mind the bloke, but the process of selection for Australian Test cricket at the moment is absolutely baffling to say the least

Why am I not surprised by that?

The ex-cricketers on the wireless thought he might get the nod ahead of far more deserving players  >:(
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #1767
They read like my figures.   Seriously, this has to be a joke doesn't it....we need a new panel because this one is out of touch.

Reply #1768
Ed Cowan didn't hold back in his comments about the selectors and Hohns in particular.  He said that Hohns should be fronting up to answer questions about selection criteria and the team's poor performances.

He also ridiculed the comments Hohns did make about one of the blokes selected for the Tests against Pakistan; something along the lines of, "He can bat and he can bowl"  :o

More former cricketers need to call out the lack of rigour and judgement applied to Test selection.

On a more positive note, how good a cricketer is Pat Cummins going to be? I reckon he is a future captain.

Reply #1769
If you scroll back you'll see I predicted Cumming to be the cricketer of the summer,  although I am pained to see that his injuries have forced him to remodel his action and he has lost the outswing he displayed in his initial test.

If they want a second spinner,  go with Maxwell or Farwhad, who would damn near kill to have a go at the Indians - and he's rat cunning enough to take a few down as well.

Our old ball bowling has stunk - I'm looking at you Starc.  I'm at a bit of a loss how the Indians got it reversing so much on a non abrasive  drop in pitch yesterday.... Better not be any shenanigans going on.   I'm suspicious whenever I see any reverse action,  especially since Starc hasnt moved an old (or new) ball since sandpaper-gate.