Skip to main content
Topic: Australian Cricket - Crisis, What Crisis ?? (Read 572782 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Australian Cricket - Crisis, What Crisis ??

Reply #1860
Something that has been overlooked in all the media analysis is that India's bats haven't been wonderful either aside from Pujara.  Pant was irresponsible to the extreme in the earlier tests,  sure made big runs here but where was he under pressure in Perth?   The openers have been given the lemon and sass,  Kohli has has had moments,  but the rest have been scratchy,  the middle order have thrown wickets away when set etc.   I don't care that they all average 55 and at home and our blokes average 40, it's not comparable.   But the Indians,  largely thanks to Pujara have had PARTNERSHIPS,  one of which would have won us Adelaide. We haven't batted as a team,  we've batted as a disparate bunch of individuals.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #1861
And so it goes ...
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #1862
Something that has been overlooked in all the media analysis is that India's bats haven't been wonderful either aside from Pujara.  Pant was irresponsible to the extreme in the earlier tests,  sure made big runs here but where was he under pressure in Perth?   The openers have been given the lemon and sass,  Kohli has has had moments,  but the rest have been scratchy,  the middle order have thrown wickets away when set etc.   I don't care that they all average 55 and at home and our blokes average 40, it's not comparable.   But the Indians,  largely thanks to Pujara have had PARTNERSHIPS,  one of which would have won us Adelaide. We haven't batted as a team,  we've batted as a disparate bunch of individuals.

In years gone by Pujara would have been 120 Not Out and India would have been all out 320, if not for our crap bowling this season!

I'm not just blaming bowlers as our batsmen have been rubbish and the tell is blokes like Cummins and Hazelwood sticking around for runs, but there is no way India should be making 500 runs 6 wickets down on those pitches!

I'm not brave enough to state cause and effect, just that they are both guilty!

Also, it's too easy to blame the sandpaper, this problem is of CA's creation and it goes back a decade or more, back to the Waugh / Simpson / NSW / MCC dynasty era! it'll take another 5 or 10 years to dig themselves out of this hole, CA has a era of pain coming not unlike Carlton's TPP penalties, except CA's problems are self-inflicted!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #1863
Whether Sutherland was pushed or not, his tenure will not be remembered kindly....
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #1864
Whether Sutherland was pushed or not, his tenure will not be remembered kindly....

Nor should it.
Sold our soles out to the Indians.
Left state cricket in a mess.
Centre of excellence is perfect except for the excellence.
Pat Howard appointment was terrible
Outside of that a sterling performance

Reply #1865
I don't understand all the hype about Perth taking the Boxing Day test from the MCG, if they want a test why not take the New Years test at least we'd get some play!

I note that records show the SCG test gets washed out almost 300% more than any other Australian cricket test venue! In the 2000s Sydney has lost 24 days of test cricket, the next closest is the MCG with only 9 days lost!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #1866
I don't understand all the hype about Perth taking the Boxing Day test from the MCG, if they want a test why not take the New Years test at least we'd get some play!

I note that records show the SCG test gets washed out almost 300% more than any other Australian cricket test venue! In the 2000s Sydney has lost 24 days of test cricket, the next closest is the MCG with only 9 days lost!

Overall number of results:
Sydney 20 draws
Melbourne 18 draws
Adelaide 19 draws

Given the number of times a complete day lost Sydney doing pretty well

Reply #1867
Overall number of results:
Sydney 20 draws
Melbourne 18 draws
Adelaide 19 draws

Given the number of times a complete day lost Sydney doing pretty well

I gather that isn't just from 2000 onwards, I understand the figures I report are the numbers starting in 2000.

btw., I haven't verified those figures, they are just numbers being touted around various cricket forums. If they are correct Sydney has lost 24 out of 90 possible days of test cricket since 2000!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #1868
I gather that isn't just from 2000 onwards, I understand the figures I report are the numbers starting in 2000.

btw., I haven't verified those figures, they are just numbers being touted around various cricket forums. If they are correct Sydney has lost 24 out of 90 possible days of test cricket since 2000!

Since 2000:
SCG 4 draws
MCG 2 draws
Adelaide 3 draws

Reply #1869

That 24 day figure was posted on twitter, I think by a Cricinfo commentator.

Time to trot out the old stats on complete days of play washed out in Australian Test cricket:
24 Sydney
 9 Melbourne
 8 Brisbane
 2 Adelaide
 1 Hobart
 0 Perth

I dont think it is referring to just 2000s. The follow up tweet from same guy...

For those who want to calculate percentages, here are the actual days played:
475 Sydney
501 Melbourne
270 Brisbane
382 Adelaide
 58 Hobart
197 Perth

Reply #1870
That 24 day figure was posted on twitter, I think by a Cricinfo commentator.

Time to trot out the old stats on complete days of play washed out in Australian Test cricket:
24 Sydney
 9 Melbourne
 8 Brisbane
 2 Adelaide
 1 Hobart
 0 Perth

I dont think it is referring to just 2000s. The follow up tweet from same guy...

For those who want to calculate percentages, here are the actual days played:
475 Sydney
501 Melbourne
270 Brisbane
382 Adelaide
 58 Hobart
197 Perth

I doubt it's 24 days lost in the whole history of Sydney cricket.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #1871
I doubt it's 24 days lost in the whole history of Sydney cricket.
There has been 107 tests at the SCG and the figure refers to days where no play has occurred at all. I don’t think that’s unreasonable.

Reply #1872
Team for the Sri Lanka Tests announced today

For me it's....

Burns
Harris
Khawaja
Patterson
Pucovski
Wade
Paine
Pattinson (if fit, if not Jyhe Richardson)
Cummins
Lyon
Hazelwood (who would want to improve)

Leaks is Pucovski is getting selected.

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2019/01/09/report-will-pucovski-set-for-shock-test-call-up/

Reply #1873
I wish him well, but hitting the panic button on a kid who has just taken time off for mental health issues seems incredibly desperate.

Hope they have his best interests at heart.

Reply #1874
Finally selectors are seeing reason.  You don't average 49 with the big scores he has at that age without real ability.   He's got a future - Sean Marsh at 34 and a FC average of approximately  35 doesn't.

On another issue, has anybody had a close look at Yadav's wrong 'un ?   He needs to be careful about that wrist 'flick'at release, it looks a bit suss.  Very tempting motion for spinners trying to get more revs on the ball.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?