Skip to main content
Topic: Question time (Read 7721 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Question time

Reply #15
LP....with all due respect we're grasping at straws if we think the change to the runner rule is a major reason for where we're at. Brisbane were in a similar position to us a couple of years ago and down near the bottom. They're now in 4th spot on the ladder on the back of some great young players. Yes they got Neale in but they lost Beams too. We had a chance to get Lyons a couple of years ago as part of the Gibbs deal and we laughed him off.....he'd be a walk up start into our best 18 right now.

Yes we've missed Docherty's leadership down back but we've had Simpson and Thomas as senior players down back for much of the year just as Brisbane have had Hodge. Yes we copped GWS on the rebound but how can you compare what was dished up yesterday with how competitive we were against Collingwood. Similarly, after a good effort against the Hawks, we just simply didn't turn up against North.

Our supporters are getting pretty fed up with the false dawns and the "promise". Results like yesterday set the club back years. A similar performance this weekend against St Kilda and I reckon it's curtains for Bolton.

Reply #16
[quote]Results like yesterday set the club back years. A similar performance this weekend against St Kilda and I reckon it's curtains for Bolton.[/quote]

That's what all the Bolton - stay the course - types don't factor in....

+ loss of supporters (indeed, a whole generation or more of supporters)

+ loss of sponsors

+ loss of game day revenue (who wants to watch a game if our blokes serve up yesterday's effort?)

+ loss of players who might otherwise see CFC as an option

+ Cripps deciding to go West.

Other than that, Bolts is doing a fine job!
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #17
I think you are sadly mistaken on Marchbank, he's closer to Jane in a Tarzan body, he almost plays bruise free football!

Even for guys like Willo who have shown a bit of aggro, it comes with fitness and form, if you are rooted from chook running and chasing an opponent all over the ground you'll have feck all energy to expend, and with the fatigue the anger fades!

Willo has thinned off a bit and looks like need needs some pasta, spuds and heavy weights but I guess his back issues are probably not conducive to
putting on weight perhaps, but he does have a go back and remains a favourite player of mine for just that reason.
Agree on Marchbank, doesnt really fly the flag in any aggressive way....Himmelberg was pushing him around and he didnt respond at all.
We must have the nicest group of talls too....Krezuer, Harry and Levi, not really inclined to throw their weight around or mess with the likes of Mummy.
I like Stocker and Simpson who will give some cheek back but alas their size is against them .

Reply #18
In games like yesterday, runners clearly would have made no difference. But in clutch games like the GC or Hawks game.............

Reply #19
It doesn't work and it barely happens, I recently had a discussion with a player operating under one of The Pudding Face Twins. I asked the kid if he was scary, he said not at all, most of his aggression is directed at the opposition and media. A flag he flew in the public forum that was very different to the closed doors stuff!

That's not my mail. Plenty of brutal honesty from the top coaches when needed, just more strategic. The calm and educational approach is more the norm but don't worry, when coaches see any softness there are intense exchanges. Can you really imagine Clarkson, Buckley, Dimma etc taking it calmly if their side put in a sh1te game? Nuh. A little more circumspect, yes. And don't worry, the Scott boys don't mince words... in fact Brad was told, after a review 2 years ago that he was too soft - and that came from the players.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #20
re 'niceness' thats what happens when you have a list full of kids.

I'd add Jones in to the c%nt group as well.

Dare i say it, but we miss Jed Lamb. I would much rather have him on our list over Matthew Cottrell right now.

Reply #21
Dare i say it, but we miss Jed Lamb.

Agreed, when Lamb, Pickett and Garlett played altogether a couple of years ago we put on a lot more pressure.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #22
re 'niceness' thats what happens when you have a list full of kids.

I'd add Jones in to the c%nt group as well.

Dare i say it, but we miss Jed Lamb. I would much rather have him on our list over Matthew Cottrell right now.

X4 zillion.
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #23
That's not my mail. Plenty of brutal honesty from the top coaches when needed, just more strategic. The calm and educational approach is more the norm but don't worry, when coaches see any softness there are intense exchanges. Can you really imagine Clarkson, Buckley, Dimma etc taking it calmly if their side put in a sh1te game? Nuh. A little more circumspect, yes. And don't worry, the Scott boys don't mince words... in fact Brad was told, after a review 2 years ago that he was too soft - and that came from the players.

I'm just telling you what a current Norp player stated directly to me, and you have actually written a historical account of as much yourself, but you're claiming it's wrong! :o

btw., The players that complained, most of them are no longer at the club are they?
The Force Awakens!

Reply #24
Yes Jed was a little crap wasn’t he, niggling and baiting - and guess what, we won games.

Can’t remember who it was - PaulP? - that said we don’t like that kind of play that Jed did, the niggling. Guess what, we MISS that now! Do we like what we have now which is virtually NOTHING including barely any wins.

There’s only so much patience one can have.

Reply #25
Yes Jed was a little crap wasn’t he, niggling and baiting - and guess what, we won games.

Can’t remember who it was - PaulP? - that said we don’t like that kind of play that Jed did, the niggling. Guess what, we MISS that now! Do we like what we have now which is virtually NOTHING including barely any wins.

There’s only so much patience one can have.

As others have highlighted we kept LeBois (who never gets on the park) and picked Cottrell (an uber raw kid with nothing special written all over him other than he's a good runner) - yet dumped a 25yo mature bodied, seasoned type who was a pretty consistent performer when all was said and done....
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #26
As others have highlighted we kept LeBois (who never gets on the park) and picked Cottrell (an uber raw kid with nothing special written all over him other than he's a good runner) - yet dumped a 25yo mature bodied, seasoned type who was a pretty consistent performer when all was said and done....

Cottrell did quite a few nice things at the weekend in the VFL, plays tall for his size, is quick enough and reasonably agile, wasn't afraid to put his body on the line in a couple of Ken Hunter style moments.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #27
Cottrell did quite a few nice things at the weekend in the VFL, plays tall for his size, is quick enough and reasonably agile, wasn't afraid to put his body on the line in a couple of Ken Hunter style moments.

He did all of that LP but vs Frankston who are VFL battlers and I wouldnt call him as any chance of playing seniors for a long time.
He is a speculative gamble at best when what we need is hardened bodies with AFL experience, he was a strange choice given his TAC form was average at best
and he was mainly used as a tagger or on a wing. Think we could have done a lot better..

Reply #28
Great, I want to know what Bolts and crew do.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #29
He did all of that LP but vs Frankston who are VFL battlers and I wouldnt call him as any chance of playing seniors for a long time.
He is a speculative gamble at best when what we need is hardened bodies with AFL experience, he was a strange choice given his TAC form was average at best
and he was mainly used as a tagger or on a wing. Think we could have done a lot better..

Frankston's only plus is they are a heavily built side with many tradie types, being physical against them is a good sign for Cottrell and Polson because that physical aspect is about all Frankston can reliably bring.

Guys like Fasolo and Lang getting out the back into space means so much less, because Franktson players can't keep up aerobically with the AFL types for four quarters. If Lang or Fasolo had smashed the Frankston boys on the inside contest I'd be much more impressed, the outside stuff is something I expect as a bare minimum!
The Force Awakens!