Skip to main content
Topic: Pre game profession of faith: AFL 2021 Rd 15: Carlton vs Adelaide (Read 7039 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Pre game profession of faith: AFL 2021 Rd 15: Carlton vs Adelaide

Reply #105
Seriously who do they expect to give TDK a chop-out in the ruck? Risk HMAc - hell no. Jones needed down back you would think - otherwise he'd be my suggestion. That leave Cripps and Silvagni - neither more than an emergency chop-out in my view. I accept there is no-one in the 2s that could come in given Levi's suspension (shocking timing) and Mirkov's injury (not that he isn't a million miles off ready for AFL but needs must). But that is where the MC has to think laterally. Can't find a ruckman? Then find a key defender and release Jones. Kemp may not be ready but you could find out. Parks may not be up to it but at least he gives a crack. Williamson has been playing third tall down back in the 2s. Or play Silvagni down back - at least he has discipline and endeavour. Any of those moves could free up Jones to play forward where he spent most of his admittedly disappointing early career and provide TDK with relief in the ruck. Jones may not be an AFL quality forward but he is closer than many on the list and I reckon could be interesting as a running ruckman in short bursts. But given the restraints we have I guess it will be Cripps and TDK as ruck and ruckrover with Kennedy relieving Cripps and Cripps relieving TDK as needed.

As for a result, my heart wants to say we will respond to all the criticism and smack a team we are better than, and there are reasons why we could and should do that, but my head says that if Adelaide turn up prepared to keep grinding they will be confident that Carlton will eventually find it too tough and turn  it up - it is what every side in the comp thinks and they seem to be right.  Prove them wrong Baggers and fight to the end.  Then this is winnable.

The problem is that taking Jones out of defence will leave a massive hole that we simply can't fill ... and his impact as a forward/ruck is unlikely to compensate.

I think that our only options are to use Harry and Crippa for forward line stoppages and give Jack an occasional turn in the ruck around the ground.

I hope the midfielders have worked hard preparing for stoppages with an uncompetitive ruckman.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball