Skip to main content
Topic: AFLW - Contracted or uncontracted? (Read 28886 times) previous topic - next topic

AFLW - Contracted or uncontracted?

1. Amelia Velardo (2025)
2. Jess Dal Pos (2024)
3. Darcy Vescio (2024)
4. Keeley Skepper (2027)
5. Abbie McKay (2026)
6. Gab Pound (2026)
7. Tahlia Read (2024)
9. Kerryn Peterson (nee Harrington) (2025)
10. Mimi Hill (2024)
12. Jess Good (2026)
13. Lulu Beatty (2024)
14. Marianna Anthony (2024)
16. Breann Moody (2027)
17. Dayna Finn (2024)
18. Maddy Guerin (2024)
19. Erone Fitzpatrick (2026)
20. Lily Goss (2024)
21. Harriet Cordner (2024)
22. Mia Austin (2026)
24. Brooke Vickers (2025)
25. Keeley Sherar (2027)
27. Gen Lawson-Taven (2024)
34. Taylor Ortlepp (2024)
36. Ciara Fitzgerald (2024)
38.----
49. Madeline Hendrie (2025)
xx - Yasmin Duursma (2024)+?
xx - Tarni Brown (2024)+?
xx - Celine Moody (2024)+?
xx - Lila Keck (2024)+?
xx - Meg Robertson (2024)+?

delisted/retired/traded
Signed until end of....

Re: AFLW - Contracted or uncontracted?

Reply #1
1. Brianna Davey (uncontracted)
2. Katie Loynes (2020)
3. Darcy Vescio (2021)
4. Maddie Perspakis (2021)
5. Abbie McKay (2021)
6. Gab Pound (2021)
7. Tayla Harris (2021)
8. Amelia Mullane (uncontracted)
9. Kerryn Harrington (2021)
10. Sarah Hosking (2020)
11. Jess Hosking (2021)
12. Lauren Brazzale (2020)
13. Kirby Bentley (delisted)
14. Chloe Dalton (2020)
15. Brooke Walker (2020)
16. Breann Moody (2020)
17. Courtney Webb (uncontracted)
18. Tilly Lucas-Rodd (uncontracted)
19. Georgia Gee (2021)
20. Charlotte Wilson (2020)
21. Nicola Stevens (2021)
22. Rhiannon Watt (delisted/signed with Saints)
23. Bridie Kennedy (delisted)
24. Reni Hicks (delisted)
25. Jess Edwards (2020)
26. Shae Audley (delisted)
27. Emerson Woods (2020)
30. Alison Downie (2020)
32. Natalie Plane (2020)
36. Jayde Van Dyke (2020)

That is a solid group of girls to make the core of our team. Granted a couple of girls won't last a lot longer: they are not spring chickens. However, the rest is looking very solid.
The question now is Davey: will she stay or will she go? Go is most likely. What will we get for her? I don't think Collingwood can adequately compensate us for the best player remaining in the competition. But that is another tale.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #2
Good work Kruddler, on this and breaking the news a week before the club!

Is there any update on the Davey trade?

I heard a whisper that after the GF TLR got the news she wasn't to be renewed, and Davey spudded up heading for the departure lounge. Anything in this or is it just rubbish?

If it's true it's a bit of a backwards step for AFLW professionalism. This isn't suburban football, you can't argue for higher wages then act like primary school children! It would be like SOS cracking the sads with Carlton if one of his boys fails to make the grade! It's a professional business, so step one is be professional!

I'm a bit perplexed why the club signs Jess Hosking for two years but Sarah Hosking only one, I'd have valued them the other way around, or perhaps even equal!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #3
Good work Kruddler, on this and breaking the news a week before the club!

Is there any update on the Davey trade?

I heard a whisper that after the GF TLR got the news she wasn't to be renewed, and Davey spudded up heading for the departure lounge. Anything in this or is it just rubbish?

If it's true it's a bit of a backwards step for AFLW professionalism. This isn't suburban football, you can't argue for higher wages then act like primary school children! It would be like SOS cracking the sads with Carlton if one of his boys fails to make the grade! It's a professional business, so step one is be professional!

I'm a bit perplexed why the club signs Jess Hosking for two years but Sarah Hosking only one, I'd have valued them the other way around, or perhaps even equal!

I hadn't heard the Davey rumour, but given she was looking to get out last year, i don't think that was a catalyst.
Even if she sooked it up when she heard, that is to be expected somewhat. What is NOT to be expected is once all the initial emotions subside, to continue to sook it up and/or request a trade based on that.

I think there has been plenty of issues with Davey and Collingwood have been chasing her for 2 years now.

As for any updates on the trade....not really.
Pies have released a full list of their re-signings and notable absentees are Sarah Rowe and Ash Brazil.
Rowe will be playing gaelic footy and since the 2020 AFLW season has no actual start date and/or length of season confirmed, its hard for her top commit.
Ditto Brazil and netball. She is signed with the collingwood magpies netball team for 2 more seasons (including 2019).

As for the Hosking anomaly, i said as much in the other thread. Its just weird.

Reply #4
So Mullane has retired from AFLW, pity I thought she really showed something! 2020 will be much tougher for Prespakis in Mullane's absence.

https://www.carltonfc.com.au/news/2019-04-25/three-blues-depart
The Force Awakens!

Reply #5
Uncontracted players might have motivation to move or delay!

The AFL has handed fledgling AFLW sides Richmond and West Coast special draft concessions to help them attract more ready-made talent ahead of the next season of the women's competition.

The Tigers and the Eagles, both new to the competition in 2020, battled in their inaugural season and applied for special assistance earlier in July.

As a result the AFL granted both teams an extra draft pick at the end of the first round (pick No.15 for Richmond and No.16 for West Coast), which must be on-traded to bring in an established player.

The Force Awakens!

Reply #6
That is BS.

Richmond dominated the trade/draft period.

Katie Brennan (Former captain, leading goalkicker at dogs and inaugural marquee player)
Sabrina Frederick-Taub (2x AA and inaugural marquee player)
Monique Conti (B+F winner in premiership year. BOG in grand final. AA)

There are more awards and recognition between those 3 than just about 3 at any club there is.

Yet, they underperformed.

Perhaps they need to look inwards and at their ability to develop their own players?

Reply #7
Just as aside, Ive been following Darcy Vescio on socials.  She would do very well to leave the anti man hating bias out of her arguments.  On sunday she made a rather unsavoury comment that causes division between the genders with respect to search results on google with respect to AFL w.  Some men dont like AFLW.  Not all men.  Dont lump us all in the same category, particularly when the AFL have already guaranteed the AFLW will suffer no adverse affects from the current state of play, and everyone else is left up in the air with respect to their future.

We may see AFL mens list reduced to keep costs down, and players WILL be cutting a haircut in AFL mens.  Not so for AFL W.  I am cognisent they have a way to go, but this was a really poor form comment given the current state of play.

I do understand her target audience for that, was to try and build up females self esteem, but there are ways to do it without rubbishing the men of the world in the process.  You risk alienating them and standing on your own.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #8
Nthmond ignored AFLW from the start.

Now that it's garnishing some commercial interest, they've come in late with a harvester and tried to ravage opposition lists.

Then, after not getting a result via the piracy pillage pathway, they are crying foul to the "Big House" for special concessions.

Parasites would be a mighty description of Nthmond's behaviour!

Reminds me of how they hurriedly launched that half-baked redevelopment plan for Punt Rd Oval, only after they caught wind that our long term proposal for PP redevelopment might actually have legs!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #9
Just as aside, Ive been following Darcy Vescio on socials.  She would do very well to leave the anti man hating bias out of her arguments.  On sunday she made a rather unsavoury comment that causes division between the genders with respect to search results on google with respect to AFL w.  Some men dont like AFLW.  Not all men.  Dont lump us all in the same category, particularly when the AFL have already guaranteed the AFLW will suffer no adverse affects from the current state of play, and everyone else is left up in the air with respect to their future.

We may see AFL mens list reduced to keep costs down, and players WILL be cutting a haircut in AFL mens.  Not so for AFL W.  I am cognisent they have a way to go, but this was a really poor form comment given the current state of play.

I do understand her target audience for that, was to try and build up females self esteem, but there are ways to do it without rubbishing the men of the world in the process.  You risk alienating them and standing on your own.

Saw that.

Didn't have the same reaction to you.

I think those of us males who watch it and enjoy it are definitely in the minority. So that message speaks to the majority.
Her whole thing has always been very anti-male.

Given some estimates on the sexuality of the AFLW girls as a whole are very heavily weighted towards same sex inclinations.....its a little more undestandable.

If someone like you or me can their noses out of joint over something like that, imagine what it is like for them to get similar, or most likely worse, comments directed at them on a daily basis. With that in mind, i'm ok with what she said.

Reply #10
If you are in the public eye, you just don't do what Vescio did, you don't lower yourself, you don't generate the canon fodder. It's a debate you can't win because your opponents are full of irrational ideas.

As Thry effectively points out, just gives an opportunity for miscreants to make the claim, "If a man did that....................!"

Many of the people who will react strongly to those comments in social media, are just looking for trouble, so why give them the ammo?
The Force Awakens!

Reply #11
Saw that.

Didn't have the same reaction to you.

I think those of us males who watch it and enjoy it are definitely in the minority. So that message speaks to the majority.
Her whole thing has always been very anti-male.

Given some estimates on the sexuality of the AFLW girls as a whole are very heavily weighted towards same sex inclinations.....its a little more undestandable.

If someone like you or me can their noses out of joint over something like that, imagine what it is like for them to get similar, or most likely worse, comments directed at them on a daily basis. With that in mind, i'm ok with what she said.
Im more rational than most, but ive been pushed to my limit of late. 

I wasn't one to make jokes about women growing up.  I always thought it were unsavoury and not the aims of treating people equally.

The way we reach true equality is to practise equality.  Not this sort of stuff.  Its inflammatory, and will breed the next generation of oppressors only.

Stick to the, "she can, so she did" arguments.  Its much more effective of building up the self esteem of females. 
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #12
Former Melbourne women’s captain Elise O’Dea could be on her way to Carlton as the Demons look to reinvigorate their AFLW list.

Dual All-Australian O’Dea, 28, is contracted for the 2021 season but weighing up requesting a trade to the Blues ahead of the AFLW sign and trade period which begins on August 3.

The Force Awakens!

Reply #13
Former Melbourne women’s captain Elise O’Dea could be on her way to Carlton as the Demons look to reinvigorate their AFLW list.

Dual All-Australian O’Dea, 28, is contracted for the 2021 season but weighing up requesting a trade to the Blues ahead of the AFLW sign and trade period which begins on August 3.

She's the type of player we could use, tough mid/HF, but i wouldn't want to give up too much for her.

Here is what we got for giving up Bri Davey (and 2 picks we wouldn't use 60+)
Lucy McEvoy
Brooke Vernon
Serena Gibbs
Courtney Jones

Obviously McEvoy is a gun, Vernon did play, Gibbs and Jones haven't debuted yet.

You could argue that McEvoy is every bit the player Davey is now (or will be) but we'll have her for longer. On top of that we have 3 bonus players.
Would you do that trade in reverse for O'Dea?

Every new draft that comes through, the talent gets better as they have 'grown up' watching the AFLW and training to make it.
Picks are worth more now than ever. I wouldn't want to be giving too many away.

Reply #14
Former Carlton player Sophie Li retired last week too.

She left us for Adelaide and played in their premiership win, against us, on her birthday.

She is now the 4th player to retire from Adelaide this year.
Are their womens side going through something similar to their mens?

We have had no retirements over the same period.