Skip to main content
Topic: Pre Game Promise AFL Rd21: Carlton vs Gold Coast (Read 6863 times) previous topic - next topic

Pre Game Promise AFL Rd21: Carlton vs Gold Coast

We should beat Gold Coast, everything else being equal. We did it earlier this year.
Circumstances have changed. We barely have enough players to make a team. Gold Coast are playing better.
We don't know when or where the game will be held yet, just that there will be no supporters there.
Live Long and Prosper!

Re: Pre Game Promise AFL Rd21: Carlton vs Gold Coast

Reply #1
Cane we get a ruck to back Jack Silvagni up? It is ridiculous that he has to do the job, but did he do it! Wunderbar!

I hope one of our rucks can come up.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #2
Is Oscar McDonald back yet?
He'd have to be a better ruck option than SOS.
Can Mitch McGovern play ruck?

Reply #3
Kemp in for Newnes and give him a taste of it next week. If McGovern gets through a VFL game this weekend then bring him in too and he can split the ruck with JSOS if TDK doesn't get up.

Reply #4
Kemp in for Newnes and give him a taste of it next week. If McGovern gets through a VFL game this weekend then bring him in too and he can split the ruck with JSOS if TDK doesn't get up.

They are playing McGovern on the wing running behind the ball and FB in today's 2nd qtr.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #5
cripps should be rucking with jsos.  No point going with a non mid.  I notice Kennedy went in once or twice last night.

"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #6
cripps should be rucking with jsos.  No point going with a non mid.  I notice Kennedy went in once or twice last night.
Neither club is ruck strong at the moment, so it will be interesting to see which way we go.

Can't see Cripps rucking if he has a crook back and crook feet, that would be asking for trouble!

Any official word on De Koning yet?

McGovern was OK in VFL ruck against a couple of massive units playing for Sandi, McGovern looked small then I realised Alabakis is over 210cm and probably looks 20kg or more heavier than McGovern, didn't really time his centre bounce jumps well, but McGovern's best game aspect was marking around the ground and he had the Sandi talls covered in this respect. It was pretty windy, and not good conditions for marking talls but McGovern with Phillips did very well given the conditions.

Levi could be back this week, but would he come straight in?

McDonald was supposed to be back but now he is not, not sure what is happening there.

If we leverage our height around the ground, assuming McKay plays, even with De Koning out we should do OK.

The trick as we have seen twice already in the last 3 weeks will be to exert pressure on the ball carrier and force long/high kicks for our talls to mark or bring to ground. If we have a week off and offer no pressure on the opposition ball carrier, and it could be another shock loss because at best we will probably break even in the midfield without De Koning!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #7
Neither club is ruck strong at the moment, so it will be interesting to see which way we go.

Can't see Cripps rucking if he has a crook back and crook feet, that would be asking for trouble!

Any official word on De Koning yet?

McGovern was OK in VFL ruck against a couple of massive units playing for Sandi, McGovern looked small then I realised Alabakis is over 210cm and probably looks 20kg or more heavier than McGovern, didn't really time his centre bounce jumps well, but McGovern's best game aspect was marking around the ground and he had the Sandi talls covered in this respect. It was pretty windy, and not good conditions for marking talls but McGovern with Phillips did very well given the conditions.

Levi could be back this week, but would he come straight in?

McDonald was supposed to be back but now he is not, not sure what is happening there.

If we leverage our height around the ground, assuming McKay plays, even with De Koning out we should do OK.

The trick as we have seen twice already in the last 3 weeks will be to exert pressure on the ball carrier and force long/high kicks for our talls to mark or bring to ground. If we have a week off and offer no pressure on the opposition ball carrier, and it could be another shock loss because at best we will probably break even in the midfield without De Koning!
Zac Smith is 206cm but he was very average vs Gawn...I wouldnt be worried too much about the ruck, we could start Owies there and win with one leg in the air vs the Suns who are hopeless.

Reply #8
Should win this by 10 goals.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #9
Suns will be looking to make ammends.

If we give them a sniff, we are in trouble with no rucks.

So we need to get on top early and they will fold.

Do we play Casboult? He'll be next to useless for most of the game. He'll lose the ruck but can't follow up like SOJ.
Do we play McGovern? I'd be more inclined to play him as at least he can play at either end....and he has a better leap than most.
Do we play McDonald? Not sure he is quite ready but is probably someone inbetween the other 2.

I think Cripps/SOS ruck combo is worth exploring.

No matter what we do, we won't win the ruck. So do we try and get as close as possible to 50-50 in the ruck, or do we go the complete opposite and concede the ruck but increase our ability to win the stoppages by playing a 'small ruck'. I reckon the latter.

Reply #10
Should win this by 10 goals.
Must win this by 10 goals but have to have the right attitude, smell the blood in the water and show no mercy.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #11
We can't get away with only midget rucks all game.  If TDK doesn't get up and I am hearing he won't then we need to get the tallest realistic option in.  Casboult if he is fit, given that Mirkov even if over his knee which he isn't expected to be is barely VFL level ATM.  If Casboult also doesn't come up then I think we need to craft a way to get Jones released from defensive duties to be first ruck with SOS a principal relief.  OMac probably been out too long to rush into the ones.  I think it comes down to Kemp or McG.  McG if he pulls up well is probably the better option as he gives versatility.  Eddie back if recovered which he seems confident of, likewise Williams although the official injury list suggests not.  Owies might be in trouble after another quiet game, assuming Murphy is a protected species.  Can't see too many others in the firing line.  I guess SPS is a chance at a return to reward him for responding in the right way to demotion, but if he is out the door at the end of the season as some have it (Gold Coast is the rumour I have heard) then is there much point?

Reply #12
We can't get away with only midget rucks all game.  If TDK doesn't get up and I am hearing he won't then we need to get the tallest realistic option in.  Casboult if he is fit, given that Mirkov even if over his knee which he isn't expected to be is barely VFL level ATM.  If Casboult also doesn't come up then I think we need to craft a way to get Jones released from defensive duties to be first ruck with SOS a principal relief.  OMac probably been out too long to rush into the ones.  I think it comes down to Kemp or McG.  McG if he pulls up well is probably the better option as he gives versatility.  Eddie back if recovered which he seems confident of, likewise Williams although the official injury list suggests not.  Owies might be in trouble after another quiet game, assuming Murphy is a protected species.  Can't see too many others in the firing line.  I guess SPS is a chance at a return to reward him for responding in the right way to demotion, but if he is out the door at the end of the season as some have it (Gold Coast is the rumour I have heard) then is there much point?
Mirkov is little chance, Levi if they can strap him up like a mummy might be able to contribute. Problem is he has missed how many weeks? I think we will go in with pinch hitters which is ok, just have plan A and B ready to roll.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #13

Fyi, cripps is taller than McGovern.....and is soj.

So saying we should ruck gov because we can't go 2 smaller options is a little silly.

Reply #14
I'd ruck Mcgovern, bit of a change and challenge for him and have JSOS as backup.....not so keen on Cripps rucking due to his injuries and I'd rather have him on the deck where the ball will be.
McGovern wont win many tapouts but might work Zac Smith over around the ground and take a few marks and play that old fashioned follower role. As long as we have a decent lead at 3/4 time we should be ok....wouldnt want it to be too close late as our blokes wont be jumping and Smith will still be 206cm.
Got a reasonable midfield have GC and it will be interesting to see if Rowell and Walsh lineup on each other or they tag Walsh with another player.