Skip to main content
Topic: AFLW 2020 Rd 1: Carlton vs Richmond (Read 3297 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: AFLW 2020 Rd 1: Carlton vs Richmond

Reply #15
@Crash....
I think Mua did her job without doing much else. Tough night to have an influence when the ball is almost exclusively in the opposite half to you. She'll be ok.

Can't agree with you on Stevens Crash. She provided a level head and helped with structures. I was worried pre-game about our defenders struggling without her there, but i don't think its a coincidence that we kept the ball in our half with her there.

Harris is a freak in the air, and just needs confidence in her kicking.

Vescio i think you were a bit harsh on too. re flying for marks, she almost always flies early and it usually works for her. I dont think she was overly fumbly, and her class with the ball is something we need more of. Part of the reason she missed VFL games was because she spent a month overseas!

Richmond tried to copy Adelaides game strategy....be hard to play against aka be aggressive at the ball/opponent.
We absorbed it without being put off by it and just focussed on our structures and it showed. Maddy P had a heavy tag early but kept on trucking and for one reason or another they let her go free and she dominated. I'd be querying why the tigers changed tact with her....because it was the wrong move.

Moody and Downie could very well be the best thing to come out of last night. Moody must;ve been watching Kreuzers efforts because her centre square efforts were awesome. Downie around the ground was equally as impressive. I have been critical of Moody in the past, but she has lifted to another level.

Kez and Katie led from the front and didn't take a backwards step, nor put a foot wrong. Good leaders who our girls should try to emulate.

McEvoy did what we had hoped. Looked at home from day 1 and will only get better. Egan was a little less impressive, but certainly a good pickup still.

Plenty of other positives from the night too.

A couple of negatives....or at least question marks from the night.
1. Wilson. Was not terrible, but i'm not sure her kicking is up to standard. One kick sideways to the wing under no pressure went over the head of Hosking by 10 meters. You could hear the audible groans from the crowd on the telecast.

2. Jess Hosking was left out of the team. Not sure if she was injured, she was seen with strapping on her knee at a rival practice match a couple of weeks ago. However, her tenacity has been a staple of our team for a while now...even if her kicking has been a bit iffy.
Which brings me to her sister, Sarah. She had 17 touches last night, but a lot of them were questionable. Again, effort is a given with her. Just got question marks on her skill level.  In a way, this is a good thing. If players like her are starting to draw some questions, then our team is improving out of sight.

Yes, Krudd, I might have been a bit harsh. I haven't watched the game on TV yet, just what I saw at the time. It is easier to see some things on the TV and viewing conditions were not fantastic. But I called it as I saw it (having to change glasses from near to far every time I marked something down on the footy record that had no space for score). :) :) :)
Abby McKay didn't play either, yesterday. She was emergency. I hope to see her playing again soon, as well as Jess H.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #16
Just putting it out there, but last year we made a grand final despite only having the 5th best record in the comp because we were in the 'crap' conference.

Looking at how things are shaping up this year, it looks like our conference is an even easier one to be in.

Before a ball was bounced, i'd havee Lions, Crows, Kangas, Tigers as the teams with the most talent, along with us, and to a lesser extent Dees, Dogs, Cats, Giants and Dockers.

The first 4 teams are all in the 'other' conference.
Of the lesser extent teams, they are split 3 (in ours) and 2 (in the other one).

IMO a clear talent difference between the 2 teams.

Given its a top 3 from each comp this year, we are fighting it out with Dees, Dogs, Dockers, Pies, Saints and West Coast.
Pies are the wild card, now with Davey, but saints and west coast hold little fear.
Dogs are probably set for a fall this year without Brennan and Conti this year too.

Too early to say we've got a finals spot?

Reply #17
It's going to be interesting to see if Harf's approach can be sustained. I re-watched bits and pieces yesterday and it's clear that Nthmond had a tactic to take a toll on our smaller players.

We were clearly undersized compared to Nthmond, and you could see that in the absence of Davey Nthmond thought they could target one or two and disrupt our game plan.

I think our game plan suits our list, but can it be sustained if our opposition take that global approach?

Another bonus, on the second watching McEvoy is even better than I thought, she brings players around her into the game as well as collecting her own football!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #18
It's going to be interesting to see if Harf's approach can be sustained. I re-watched bits and pieces yesterday and it's clear that Nthmond had a tactic to take a toll on our smaller players.

We were clearly undersized compared to Nthmond, and you could see that in the absence of Davey Nthmond thought they could target one or two and disrupt our game plan.

I think our game plan suits our list, but can it be sustained if our opposition take that global approach?

Another bonus, on the second watching McEvoy is even better than I thought, she brings players around her into the game as well as collecting her own football!
I'm biased, but I thought Lucy was good, interesting that she didn't get a coaches vote....

Reply #19
I'm biased, but I thought Lucy was good, interesting that she didn't get a coaches vote....
Well she got the Rising Star nomination, so someone thought she was good! ;D
The Force Awakens!

Reply #20

I thought that we stood up very well to the physical challenge issued by Richmond and paid them back with interest.  We are fortunate to have quite a few tough nuts among our more mature players; Moody crunched opponents and Downie made it clear that you don't mess with our skippers - something Marc Murphy would have appreciated!

I listened to Harf on the wireless last Sunday (talking about concussion) and it's clear that he is a sponge when it comes to football, coaching and sport in general.  I reckon that he learnt a hell of a lot last season and has developed a game plan that few teams will be able to counter, regardless of what tactics they may employ.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #21
Well she got the Rising Star nomination, so someone thought she was good! ;D
Indeed, although I'm not sure she'll be happy with the nickname "Big Boy"!