Skip to main content
Topic: RD 20 : BLUES Scorch Suns (Final Siren Fadeout) (Read 16725 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: RD 20 : BLUES Scorch Suns (Final Siren Fadeout)

Reply #30
A great 1st half by the Blues, we fell asleep in the 2nd half. Not sure if that was mental, physical or other wise but it was disappointing.

Wood showed more than Warnock around the ground, again.

Sheehan made a good debut.

I think McLean is a good footballer, but I do think the speed of the game is too fast for him now, and you need to be elite to have that attribute looked over. It's hard to carry a player that can't keep up with the pace of the game.

Ellard used to be a fairly reliable shot at goal, whats happened?!

Oh well, I'll take the win and see what we can come up with next week !!

Go Blues !!

Mens sana in corpore sano - A healthy mind in a healthy body.

Navy, it's not just a color, it's an attitude !!!

Reply #31
Menzel...didnt get near it all day...

I think I was as confused with his role as he was. Started in the midfield and then kind of tried to make cameo performances up forward in a team that was hell bent on kicking to Waite in the pocket. Menz is probably a better foil with Hendo and Levi presenting front and centre than with Jarrad as the sole target.
IN WADA WE TRUST

Reply #32
That 2nd half was unspeakably bad......wow, it was bad.

Waite continues to be the ultimate conundrum doesn't he? Play like he has the past 3 weeks and another contract with us should be a no-brainer, but how long will it last?

Sheehan kicks the ball every bit as well as Tuohy & is a very solid unit. Judd shouldn't even be considering retirement, Bell excellent, Simmo superb.

We won, nothing to see here.......moving on.
Football is life, there is nothing else....

Reply #33
Mclean was awful. It's time to go......Brock.

Does anyone else think Docherty has been sheizen recently??
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #34
I remember Touhy's first bounce along the wing....it bounced back straight over his head !!

Sheahan Ok but a long long way to go.

That 2nd half performance was typical of this group. They were clinical till half time and had the supporters smiling and cheerful and relaxed for the 1st time in how long.....?
Then they dish up that rubbish in the 2nd half that even after a win......leaves you ith that yuk taste in your mouth.

This team makes it so hard for the rank and file to be "proud of".
Fits and spurts dont cut it. We had a lot of 1st choice players out I know, but we aint too dissimilar with them in the bloody team!!!!

I'm still not sold on Waite. Regardless of his past 3 weeks, Jesus what about the past 10 yrs???? How quickly people forget. Dont ant him to go but want him on minimum age....AFAIC....he owes US that!! >:(

Just on Waite, Robbo and Jeffy. I couldnt give 2 hoots if they r all gone by yrs end but I will absolutely spew if we they all walk for nothing. Club must ensure we get adequately compensated for all of them 'cos in the right environment, they will ALL come back to bite us on the ar5e !!
Too little and Way too late. Pull your fingers out boys!!

Reply #35
Mclean was awful. It's time to go......Brock.

Does anyone else think Docherty has been sheizen recently??

Some good some not so good, overall has been a good pick up as his disposal and thinking is generally composed.
Thing I find with him is he can be inconsistent with his contested footy...sometimes he goes hard and you say that was a brave effort and other times he either stands back or slows up to avoid heavy contact.
Like to see him put on some more weight and build up the confidence....Docherty for Hampsons(pick 28) was the deal and I reckon thats been a win for us and thee is plenty of upside in Docherty and hewill be a 200 game player for us and wont play too many bad ones...

Reply #36
Docherty for Hampsons(pick 28) was the deal and I reckon thats been a win for us.......

It was the deal of a lifetime EB, I still can't get my head around it.
I like Docherty a lot, he won't be a champion but he's got lots of upside.
The remarkable story is Sheehan, 14 VFL games and less than one season after switching to Aussie Rules and he doesn't look out of place at the top level, his 40 metre kick into Waite's chest yesterday was perfectly weighted and showed real class, and he's built like a brick dunny.
Get some more scouts on the ground in Ireland I reckon.
The only thing in this world worth more than a hill of beans is the Carlton Football Club.

Reply #37
Agree with B4L... I'm not really sure Sheehan knows what he is doing, but at least he was smart enough to kick it long when he got it... and he has a nice and natural looking kicking style. He didn't look out of place. Not slow and a good size.

Reply #38
Docherty had an interrupted pre season, in fact I've read somewhere that while at Brisbane he never did a pre season due to injury.

This years pre season is critical for us, Thomas, Henderson, Docherty, Kruezer, Menzel, Buckley, Cripps, Graham... all need an uninterpreted go at it for us to get anywhere near finals next season.  

Reply #39
Docherty had an interrupted pre season, in fact I've read somewhere that while at Brisbane he never did a pre season due to injury.

This years pre season is critical for us, Thomas, Henderson, Docherty, Kruezer, Menzel, Buckley, Cripps, Graham... all need an uninterpreted go at it for us to get anywhere near finals next season.

Watching the first half yesterday, with the outs we had, looking at the list of youngsters with talent..tell you what, I feel really optimistic for next year. Especially if trade & drafting is a repeat of the last year. Things are starting to knit together. Wonder what the tapestry will show when it's finished.
Keep the Faith

Reply #40
I remember Touhy's first bounce along the wing....it bounced back straight over his head !!

Sheahan Ok but a long long way to go.

That 2nd half performance was typical of this group. They were clinical till half time and had the supporters smiling and cheerful and relaxed for the 1st time in how long.....?
Then they dish up that rubbish in the 2nd half that even after a win......leaves you ith that yuk taste in your mouth.

This team makes it so hard for the rank and file to be "proud of".
Fits and spurts dont cut it. We had a lot of 1st choice players out I know, but we aint too dissimilar with them in the bloody team!!!!

I'm still not sold on Waite. Regardless of his past 3 weeks, Jesus what about the past 10 yrs???? How quickly people forget. Dont ant him to go but want him on minimum age....AFAIC....he owes US that!! >:(

Just on Waite, Robbo and Jeffy. I couldnt give 2 hoots if they r all gone by yrs end but I will absolutely spew if we they all walk for nothing. Club must ensure we get adequately compensated for all of them 'cos in the right environment, they will ALL come back to bite us on the ar5e !!

Much of Waite's last 10 years have been pretty good unless i've been looking at his double.

Waite's a free agent. If he goes it's for bugger all.  Who in their right mind would let him go.

Reply #41
Much of Waite's last 10 years have been pretty good unless i've been looking at his double.
Waite's a free agent. If he goes it's for bugger all.  Who in their right mind would let him go.

He's had he's fair share of injuries as well as too many suspensions but overall the footy he has played when fit has been to a very good standard. He let himself down lately so MM challenged him and he has answered in the best possible way. If he wants 2 years and is prepared to play for a performance based contract then I say give it to him. If he'll take one year for a bit more coin than base salary then I would give him that too.

The fact that so many are talking about him attracting a lot of interest from other clubs is no surprise as he is a valuable commodity who would enhance any forward line with the possible exception of Sydney. We'd be nuts to let him walk unless someone was offering ridiculous overs.
IN WADA WE TRUST

Reply #42
Key forwards are hard to find and Waites best is very good but his worst is shizen with not much in between...
I think he has been inconsistent and unreliable for ten years and prone to brain fades.....12 months contract only imo.

Reply #43
I was there at the game yesterday.

My comments:

1. The fact that we have no ability nor desire to grind a team into the dirt (and put the foot to the throat and not let go) speaks more to me than anything else.
2. There are too many players in this group that are getting paid big bucks, happy with life and are comfortable with a 39 point lead.
3. That says to me that I still want the list to be seriously cleared, if there are available players to recruit.
4. My preference is to now chase a core group of 5 to 7 new kids that will play 10 years for Carlton
5. That means I would seek a compensation pick for Waite, trade and de-list/trade alot of players at years end
6. On another observation we lacked a small forward clearly yesterday but Garlett is not the answer
7. Finally. Carlton plays are much better brand under MM. We look straight up and down- and none of this outside running whippet sling type play under Ratten.

Reply #44
Key forwards are hard to find and Waites best is very good but his worst is shizen with not much in between...
I think he has been inconsistent and unreliable for ten years and prone to brain fades.....12 months contract only imo.

Not sure about totally unreliable from a playing view. Been better and worse from the reliability angle. Unreliable from the mental side though doing dumb things and some bad decision making at times. He's still just about out most important player. Still, at his age, contracts are just 12 months, maybe with an option on both sides.

MM is slowly turning players around. Some that have had some issues, like Yarran once when he sooked it up, he's getting the best out of. Seemingly similar with Waite hopefully.

Pity it's all so late in the year. If there's an omen, the last time we played a sh1t majority of the season, on the bottom for a lot if it, but finished like trains made the Grand Final the next year with a famous PF victory along the way.