Skip to main content
Topic: "SuperFooty Rates The Midfield Depth" - HUN (Read 16181 times) previous topic - next topic

"SuperFooty Rates The Midfield Depth" - HUN

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/superfooty-rates-the-depth-of-every-afl-clubs-midfield/story-fni5f22o-1227210307602

Not sure I agree with this assessment :

CARLTON

Top Shelf

Marc Murphy

Bryce Gibbs

Chris Judd

Relievers

Dale Thomas

Andrejs Everitt

Tom Bell

Ed Curnow

Andrew Carrazzo

The Nursery

Blaine Boekhorst

Patrick Cripps

Verdict: With Murphy, Gibbs and Judd starting in the guts, the Carlton midfield is blue chip, but it falls away quickly from there. Andrew Walker, Chris Yarran and Kade Simpson spend more time forward and back and the relievers are honest, but lack speed and polish. Their youngsters will continue to get opportunities this year.
"The Other Teams Can Rot In Hell"

Re: "SuperFooty Rates The Midfield Depth" - HUN

Reply #1
No Graham?

Reply #2
Daisy is topshelf  or at least he was and should be.

Reply #3
'Was' and 'should be' do not equate to is. I reckon we'll get a fair idea of where he's at in the NAB Cup and that'll also be a great opportunity for him to build some confidence.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

midfield - light on

Reply #4
Hun article legitimately points out how light on we are this year for established mids. Most of our relievers are really b or c grade at this point.

Got to hope Cripps, Whiley, etc. Can become proper mids.

http://m.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/superfooty-rates-the-depth-of-every-afl-clubs-midfield/story-fni5f22o-1227210307602

Top shelf

Marc Murphy

Bryce Gibbs

Chris Judd

Relievers

Dale Thomas

Andrejs Everitt

Tom Bell

Ed Curnow

Andrew Carrazzo

The Nursery

Blaine Boekhorst

Patrick Cripps

Reply #5
Looks to me atm like we definitely be pursuing at least one established "big name" for next year. This could change of course depending on what might eventuate this year with the up and comers.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #6
To be honest the Hun have missed the point of several of our mids:
[1] Carrazzo: he is there to stop the opposition's best mids and he does a good job when he is fit. He also bites the other way. I would not call him a 'reliever': he is an important cog in the midfield who we have missed badly in recent times.
[2] Curnow: like Carrots he has a job and he does it well. Just ask Gablett. I find classifying them as they did nonsensical.
[3] Everitt: I don't remember him playing much in the midfield for us as yet. He had a couple of negative jobs which he did very well, but he mostly played outside the centre square. He is a relieving mid?
[4] Nick Graham: Nick played more midfield time last year than Everitt, but he couldn't make the 'Nursery'? What about Whiley, Walsh and the like?

They do have a point: our midfield needs work. Murphy, Judd and Gibbs are as good as you can get, but we really don't appear to have top mids after that. With Judd almost certain to retire at the end of the season, we need at least 1 more champion mid in the mix.
I do know that Malthouse wants guys like Buckley and Menzel to spend some time in the midfield, as it gives us more flexibility, but I don't see either as to grade mids on a permanent basis. I know we tried it with Eddie and Jeff Garlett and didn't get anywhere with it, but I understand the concept.
Docherty also spent time in the midfield last year, looking like he was doing some apprentice tagging (a la Carrots and Curnow). I am not sure about this: he is not as tight as a real tagger, although he got a fair bit of the ball.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #7
Crash's analysis is on the mark, particularly in respect of Carrazzo and Curnow.

I think that too much emphasis is placed on A graders or top shelf players.  It is the quality of your bottom six that wins matches and the same applies to the midfield.  If the likes of Bell, Whiley, Graham and Boekhorst can match or beat their opponent, we'll be in with a chance.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #8
@ DJC

I think it's a combination of both DJC. If you don't have enough A graders you will eventually get found out, especially in finals football. If you don't have the depth to back up your A graders you will also struggle, as we have painfully found out in recent years.

My philosophy is to start with the A graders and build around them - hopefully we are now doing that, but unfortunately our A graders are getting that bit older and we may lose a couple next year. I count Carrazzo as A grade btw.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #9
Daisy is topshelf  or at least he was and should be.

He was, and IMO he can be again, but due to injury he hasn't been for a couple of years and will have to re-earn the title.
Mens sana in corpore sano - A healthy mind in a healthy body.

Navy, it's not just a color, it's an attitude !!!

Reply #10
I would have thought Yazz could run through the guts too?
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #11
Top Shelf
C. Judd
M. Murphy
B. Gibbs
M. Kreuzer

B Graders
D. Thomas
S. Docherty
Both of these 2 have the ability to become top shelf players

E. Curnow
A. Carrazzo
A. Everitt
R. Warmock
C. Wood

C Graders
M. Whiley
T. Bell
D. Armfield
IMO Bell and Whiley have the potential to be able to move up a grade in the future.

Young Guns - 10 or less games
T. Menzel (in the midfield)
N. Graham
D. Buckley
P. Cripps
N. Holman
B. Boekhurst
D. Viojo-Rainbow

X Factor
C. Yarran
Z. Touhy
C. Sheehan
C. Smith
Mens sana in corpore sano - A healthy mind in a healthy body.

Navy, it's not just a color, it's an attitude !!!

Reply #12
They probably have it about right.......Cripps needs to step up and become A grade, Daisy was A grade but not anymore IMO..
When Judd retires we might go backwards unless we can land a Dangerfield or similar....

Reply #13
Crash's analysis is on the mark, particularly in respect of Carrazzo and Curnow.

I think that too much emphasis is placed on A graders or top shelf players.  It is the quality of your bottom six that wins matches and the same applies to the midfield.  If the likes of Bell, Whiley, Graham and Boekhorst can match or beat their opponent, we'll be in with a chance.

You need quality right through the players in the middle, no doubt but without the cream - forget it.

Reply #14
It helps when you can pick up beams, Christensen and Mitch for peanuts in a single year.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?