Skip to main content
Topic: Rd 20: Pre Game Anticipation: Carlton vs St Kilda (Read 22872 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Rd 20: Pre Game Anticipation: Carlton vs St Kilda

Reply #15
Need the midfield up grades no doubt , but when they get the ball, who do you kick it to? let's each nominate 2 players who we class as forwards on out current list , that you would want to pass to in the 50 say 35-40 metres out with pressure on
My vote Everitt & a distant second Walker ?

Agree - our F50 efforts are weak. Levi doesn't currently look like the answer as a KPF despite his much vaunted marking skills and we don't have any classy small forwards atm.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #16
Need the midfield up grades no doubt , but when they get the ball, who do you kick it to? let's each nominate 2 players who we class as forwards on out current list , that you would want to pass to in the 50 say 35-40 metres out with pressure on
Everitt and Wright.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #17

Casboult, if on two legs, and Charlie Curnow with Wright not far off.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #18
Curnow Silvagni and Mckay are all first year forwards with talent. Patience grasshoppers.

Reply #19
Everitt and Wright.
And Sumner yesterday went back a slotted a nice one under pressure tucked on the boundary line. And the pressure was from his team mates as he failed to give it off or centre it when he had an option and time. He went back and duly slotted it. I think he and Lamb have been reasonably good in front of goal.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #20
And Sumner yesterday went back a slotted a nice one under pressure tucked on the boundary line. And the pressure was from his team mates as he failed to give it off or centre it when he had an option and time. He went back and duly slotted it. I think he and Lamb have been reasonably good in front of goal.

mate, we need to graduate from reasonably good to bloody good!

Reply #21
Yeah mate, 100% agree. But whens the last time we saw a bloke wearing a navy CFC jumper go back and slot one from that angle? Everitt has a few times maybe, the last one I can think of Eddie and before that Fevalenko. We have been deplorable in front of goal, it has cost us many many games. In Sumner and Lamb, I have seen a step in the right direction. SOS looks like he can kick straight. When JW went fwd a couple of weeks ago, he kicked nicely for goal also.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #22
Yeah mate, 100% agree. But whens the last time we saw a bloke wearing a navy CFC jumper go back and slot one from that angle? Everitt has a few times maybe, the last one I can think of Eddie and before that Fevalenko. We have been deplorable in front of goal, it has cost us many many games. In Sumner and Lamb, I have seen a step in the right direction. SOS looks like he can kick straight. When JW went fwd a couple of weeks ago, he kicked nicely for goal also.

Agreed, our goal kicking, in general, has been unacceptable for way too long....
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #23

Well said, Fluffy One. It's almost as if we've been so poor over the past 15 years that when we're 'reasonably good' we jump for joy. Bottom line is that we're fourth from the bottom and generally quite poor but showing definite signs of improvement... which must continue and escalate. Put another way, although there are very real signs of improvement in every area of the club the reality is that we're still sh1te but not as sh1te. Put another way again, I think that BB and the coaching group are getting the very best out of our personnel... any lesser coaching group and we would be bottom or second bottom... but we're still sh1te but not as sh1te.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #24
Well said, Fluffy One. It's almost as if we've been so poor over the past 15 years that when we're 'reasonably good' we jump for joy. Bottom line is that we're fourth from the bottom and generally quite poor but showing definite signs of improvement... which must continue and escalate. Put another way, although there are very real signs of improvement in every area of the club the reality is that we're still sh1te but not as sh1te. Put another way again, I think that BB and the coaching group are getting the very best out of our personnel... any lesser coaching group and we would be bottom or second bottom... but we're still sh1te but not as sh1te.

i disagree. Whether it's Bolton, the players making a collective decision to try, the injection of new players or whatever, a few things seem clear:

1. our best is better than in recent years eg the win over the Cats without Murphy
2. Our worst is considerably better than our worst in recent years
3. Less of our troops drop their bundles when the heat is on
4. it appears, touch wood, we are starting to be able to stem those run ons that teams have which used to bury us eg against the Swans and the Hawks in the 3rd terms - we kept in touch.....
5. The average gap between our best and worst seems to be shrinking - though granted much room for improvement.

2017 - key goals

1.Trading for two established mids with established skill at senior AFL level (not O'Meara or Prestia); one, at least, a big body;
2. Some smart draft picks and trading as per 2016 Draft - you'd assume Tomlinson is a done deal, for example. I'd like Stewart too (son of....)
3. Plenty of gym time for the younger blokes - Charlie, SOJ, Harry......
4. Kicking practice galore for the likes of Levi, Kerridge....
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #25

Levi will never be able to kick straight, his technique is too poor.
As of now he's as good as anything we've got in the VFL, which isn't saying much, but we need to find something much better if we want to be a flag contender.
Kerridge has an OK technique but might be another Jordan Russell, who also had a good technique but sprayed it all over the place under pressure.
The only thing in this world worth more than a hill of beans is the Carlton Football Club.

Reply #26
3. Plenty of gym time for the younger blokes - Charlie, SOJ, Harry......

I think our culture and future is such that many players will be prepared to work in their own time on their deficiencies (as Cripps did last year with a running coach) in order to improve.  I don't believe that this sort of attitude was part of the group in the past.  You could really see someone like White who is now 'in the fold' being ultra keen to go to the next level along with our young blokes as well.

Never underestimate the influence of a positive, supportive culture!!

Reply #27

i know we are improving but with our currant list we are bottom 4 team.

Reply #28
Levi will never be able to kick straight, his technique is too poor.
As of now he's as good as anything we've got in the VFL, which isn't saying much, but we need to find something much better if we want to be a flag contender.
Kerridge has an OK technique but might be another Jordan Russell, who also had a good technique but sprayed it all over the place under pressure.

Levi will hold the fort until McKay and Curnow are ready. He'll be the big body to take the heat. Imagine McKay will plays games next year so he'll need Levi with him fr a year or so. After that Levi will have essentially served his purpose, which he has done admirably given his ability.

Kerridge will be good for us but his kicking is a little wayward. His disposal, as might his ability, might remind me more of Carrazzo over time more than Russell. Probably not quite as good as Carrots was a gun but you get my gist.

Reply #29
i know we are improving but with our currant list we are bottom 4 team.

Tend to agree and I posted similar sentiments a couple of days ago. We probably have a bit of marginal improvement left as a team but until we get in more significant talent we will not really progress to being a serious flag candidate. BB will be painfully aware of this and IMO he's focused this year on getting our defence right, ingraining the principles of our game plan and establishing the necessary club culture and attitudes. I'm looking forward to seeing who we recruit for next year and maybe we can start our move up the ladder as a result?