Skip to main content
Topic: Rd 20: Pre Game Anticipation: Carlton vs St Kilda (Read 22873 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Rd 20: Pre Game Anticipation: Carlton vs St Kilda

Reply #30
And Sumner yesterday went back a slotted a nice one under pressure tucked on the boundary line. And the pressure was from his team mates as he failed to give it off or centre it when he had an option and time. He went back and duly slotted it. I think he and Lamb have been reasonably good in front of goal.

Similar angle to Kreuzer's goal . . . and the one he missed.  I'm not sure what he was thinking with that first attempt  ???
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #31
u know when we go the long bomb into f50 CAN we please have our smalls front and centre to either kick goals or pressure the saints defenders .We need to stop there running game which begins from our fwd turnovers.

Reply #32
u know when we go the long bomb into f50 CAN we please have our smalls front and centre to either kick goals or pressure the saints defenders .We need to stop there running game which begins from our fwd turnovers.
Second that motion. Seen nothing but grass and oppo players when ball hits ground off our forward marking packs. Just another forward line defficiency that's yet to be rectified but it really should be an easy one.

Reply #33
Similar angle to Kreuzer's goal . . . and the one he missed.  I'm not sure what he was thinking with that first attempt  ???

Sorry if this is well out of context.

But if I was playing for Carlton, and surrounded by the current forward list as the only options to hit up within range of goal, I think I'd prefer to take set shots from +60m out and I'd still give myself a better chance than half our current lot.

(Except Weitering who can actually kick them from +65m if he is unleashed within goal range. Weitering on a good day up forward is as good as Taylor Walker.)
The Force Awakens!

Reply #34
i disagree. Whether it's Bolton, the players making a collective decision to try, the injection of new players or whatever, a few things seem clear:

1. our best is better than in recent years eg the win over the Cats without Murphy
2. Our worst is considerably better than our worst in recent years
3. Less of our troops drop their bundles when the heat is on
4. it appears, touch wood, we are starting to be able to stem those run ons that teams have which used to bury us eg against the Swans and the Hawks in the 3rd terms - we kept in touch.....
5. The average gap between our best and worst seems to be shrinking - though granted much room for improvement.

2017 - key goals

1.Trading for two established mids with established skill at senior AFL level (not O'Meara or Prestia); one, at least, a big body;
2. Some smart draft picks and trading as per 2016 Draft - you'd assume Tomlinson is a done deal, for example. I'd like Stewart too (son of....)
3. Plenty of gym time for the younger blokes - Charlie, SOJ, Harry......
4. Kicking practice galore for the likes of Levi, Kerridge....

Tomlinson and Marchbank from GWS would be a good start. Add James Stewart to that too.

As far as good mids go - look to Jack Steele from the Giants and some Crows mids.

The Crows mids in order of preference for me are Brad and Matt Crouch (Matt contracted next year), Mitch Grigg, Cam Ellis-Yolmen and to a lesser extent Harrison Wigg.

Grigg and Ellis-Yolmen we'd get much cheaper than the likes of Tom Mitchell, Prestia, O'Meara and the like. Even Brad Crouch but IMO he's very gettable and still wouldn't cost the earth. Jack Steele is gettable as far as trade goes IMO and $$ wise.

Steele and Brad Crouch/Grigg added to Cripps, Murphy, Gibbs, Ed Curnow, Kerridge, Wright, Cuningham and some draftees, hopefully some early picks to secure two gun young mids.

Depends on who's going out, what trade bait we use, how much we get for them, how many draft picks we want/get, etc.

Reply #35
Grigg  a left footer too!
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #36
Tomlinson and Marchbank from GWS would be a good start. Add James Stewart to that too.

As far as good mids go - look to Jack Steele from the Giants and some Crows mids.

The Crows mids in order of preference for me are Brad and Matt Crouch (Matt contracted next year), Mitch Grigg, Cam Ellis-Yolmen and to a lesser extent Harrison Wigg.

Grigg and Ellis-Yolmen we'd get much cheaper than the likes of Tom Mitchell, Prestia, O'Meara and the like. Even Brad Crouch but IMO he's very gettable and still wouldn't cost the earth. Jack Steele is gettable as far as trade goes IMO and $$ wise.

Steele and Brad Crouch/Grigg added to Cripps, Murphy, Gibbs, Ed Curnow, Kerridge, Wright, Cuningham and some draftees, hopefully some early picks to secure two gun young mids.

Depends on who's going out, what trade bait we use, how much we get for them, how many draft picks we want/get, etc.

Agree on all of that....one Crouch Brother will probably mean the other either now or later.....

Jack Steele will probably come at some cost as other teams are keen especially Stkilda so I would view him as a separate deal to say Tomlinson, Marchbank/Stewart who you
might be able to package up either as 2or 3 player deal.

I like Mitch Grigg out of the cheaper options...nice kicking left footer who would help our delivery up forward.....Curnow and Kerridge are great workhorses but we need an onballer who can give
us some Pendlebury/Burgoyne like silky disposal.....Ellis Yolmen is more your bigger Blue Collar mid  and would be my backup if any deal for Steele fell through.

We need more depth with our midfield and I remain unconvinced about Graham, Boekhorst and Buckley...

Reply #37
Agree on all of that....one Crouch Brother will probably mean the other either now or later.....

Jack Steele will probably come at some cost as other teams are keen especially Stkilda so I would view him as a separate deal to say Tomlinson, Marchbank/Stewart who you
might be able to package up either as 2or 3 player deal.

I like Mitch Grigg out of the cheaper options...nice kicking left footer who would help our delivery up forward.....Curnow and Kerridge are great workhorses but we need an onballer who can give
us some Pendlebury/Burgoyne like silky disposal.....Ellis Yolmen is more your bigger Blue Collar mid  and would be my backup if any deal for Steele fell through.

We need more depth with our midfield and I remain unconvinced about Graham, Boekhorst and Buckley...

Yep I agree with you re Graham, Boekhorst and Buckley.

Grigg as a cheaper option would be good. Nice left foot kick and can win the ball. Good size too. Not a stick.

Steele would be my first option also, then Ellis-Yolmen. Probably prefer not both.

Is George Horlin-Smith worth a crack? Don't mind him. Hard to get a gig ahead of Danger and the skipper.

Reply #38
Horlin-Smith is solid without being a world beater, may lack a yard of pace.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #39
smart trading is keep our 1st pick and then land a cheapie like grigg,steele,crouch,ellis-y   as already mentioned need to stay away from the big names at this stage.

Reply #40
Looks as though Murphy will not be available this week. Maybe next week.

Walker will come in. Who goes out?
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #41
I'm not keen on trading in second stringers no matter how cheap they are, we've tried it over the last few seasons and haven't landed anyone who stands out as a Premiership player.
Kerridge, Boekhorst and Wright go OK but aren't class players by any stretch, Whiley and Tutt are VFL players, Graham was pick 54 so nothing wasted really.
As hard as it seems our only realistic road to success lies at the draft, we got Cripps at 13 so it's not impossible to get hold of another two high quality kids over the next two or three years.
Pick 4 or 5 this season should give us a good one.
The only other option is a Dangerfield like deal but they come at a big cost and it wouldn't be easy convincing someone like him to come to Carlton.
The only thing in this world worth more than a hill of beans is the Carlton Football Club.

Reply #42
How did this become a trading thread?
Never mind: it is Thursday afternoon and the teams will come out in the next 90 minutes or so.
[1] I would give Weitering a rest. He was injured last week. I am not sure it is worth running him into the ground.
[2] Murphy is unlikely to play until next week. That means out mids have to play like they did last week. Not impossible.
[3] Our rucks need to be MUCH better than last time. Last time a hack and a 1st gamer shamed our rucks and gave St Kilda the midfield dominance they needed to win the game. We cannot afford that again.
[4] Walker is coming in for the last game. Who goes out for him?
[5] Casboult has been ordinary of late and not having much of an impact. If we bring in Jones or Jaksch to help out, as both have been reasonable lately, who goes out?
[6] Small forward role: do we play Jack there? he is about the only guy we have who actually reads the pack and can kick a crumbing goal, even though he is primarily a marking forward. Do we bring Lamb back in? Personally I wouldn't do it. Not until he plays a 4 quarter game or 2 at VFL level.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #43
Walker, Thomas, Whiley into 25.

Interchange from: 23. Jacob Weitering 39. Dale Thomas 1. Andrew Walker 32. Nick Graham 19. Liam Sumner 24. Mark Whiley 33. Andrejs Everitt

Two rucks and just one key forward again. Our usual match losing, non-scoring structure. Zero from 10 with that one. Tough gig for Casboult those circumstances.

Reply #44
Walker, Thomas, Whiley into 25.

Interchange from: 23. Jacob Weitering 39. Dale Thomas 1. Andrew Walker 32. Nick Graham 19. Liam Sumner 24. Mark Whiley 33. Andrejs Everitt

Two rucks and just one key forward again. Our usual match losing, non-scoring structure. Zero from 10 with that one. Tough gig for Casboult those circumstances.

Who knows, maybe Weits will get a full game up forward.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17