Skip to main content
Topic: "Carlton Football Club Keeps Fires Burning" - AGE (Read 11875 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: "Carlton Football Club Keeps Fires Burning" - AGE

Reply #15
Tripe. I believe we were the winningest club over the course of the AFL up to 2002 then we fell away badly. We still have winning records against a lot of teams even with our junk years.

We had a losing culture that just happened to win more than any other in the competition, this smacks of laying ground work.

You can say this culture has been breed over a decade of crap and this group in particular is fragile as anything, no issue there but since the inception of the AFL? What simplictic rubbish analysis.

Reply #16
Reckon Gibbs is the only one we are really in danger of losing. Isn't this Maccas job, to get signatures on the line that is dotted?

Whatever will be, will be with Gibbs I think, and the same goes for any non-Victorians. If they want to go home that badly, they leave.

Would be EXTREMELY hard to take for me.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #17
Tripe. I believe we were the winningest club over the course of the AFL up to 2002 then we fell away badly. We still have winning records against a lot of teams even with our junk years.

We had a losing culture that just happened to win more than any other in the competition, this smacks of laying ground work.

You can say this culture has been breed over a decade of crap and this group in particular is fragile as anything, no issue there but since the inception of the AFL? What simplictic rubbish analysis.

Good point IOT; the only teams that have better win loss ratios with us are Fremantle and Port Adelaide.  Even in our darkest years Malthouse only managed 12 wins against us to our 8 wins over a high flying Collingwood (not that that is anywhere near acceptable).

While I agree that some of our recent losses may be put down to a lack of determination to win, it is a very simplistic analysis.  In fact, if my memory is correct, Collingwood at its best unaccountably lost games in which it was clear favourite.  I wonder how Mick would explain that.  :-\ 
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #18
At the end of the day, nobody seems to care about winning ratios. Flags are what success is measured by in this caper. And we only have one AFL flag. 16 all up, but only one in the AFL that was nearly 20 years ago. 

Reply #19
At the end of the day, nobody seems to care about winning ratios. Flags are what success is measured by in this caper. And we only have one AFL flag. 16 all up, but only one in the AFL that was nearly 20 years ago.

Very true Gozza but we're not going to win another one if our coach believes the simplistic analysis he is peddling.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #20

Super post IOT.

Even if the media want to cite a lack of recent premiership experience to influence the culture of the current playing group, we have the greatest history in the league that is carried by supporters, we also have a premiership winning Captain and multi premiership winning Coach. We have a premiership winning Captain as President and a General manager of football operations who is a premiership champion.

The culture argument is crap.

We are in a competition that wants to cement itself as truly national and will deliver whatever it takes. It delivered 3 flags to the Lions and 2 to the Swans in this century. Port chipped in for one then needed an AFL bail out. Watch this space as Gold Coast conquer all whilst the basket case in Western Sydney is assured success despite a total lack of interest from its demographic.
IN WADA WE TRUST

Reply #21

Very true Gozza but we're not going to win another one if our coach believes the simplistic analysis he is peddling.

Perhaps we are looking at this too 'simplistically'. Let's go back.

The rot set in at our club, IMHO, when our self-congratulations reached fever pitch after 1995. And people caused this - the President, mainly, and his arrogant disregard for the ethics and principles of our game (and the corporate world in general!!!) and the governing body of our game, cascaded (contaminated) throughout and the club (ultimately disillusioning an impressionable future President). Elliott's arrogance prevented him viewing any other success process than the one he knew. This terrible failure would also impact on his personal life... resulting in divorce, being broke (which saw him renting an apartment in Carlton), sacked by his beloved Liberal Party and Melbourne Club. D1ckhead.

Elliott, Parkin and others were so busy feeling full of themselves over our (their) success that they forgot about planning (with ruthless objectivity) for the future. Parko has virtually admitted this - recruiting, for one, suffered badly. (Elliott continues to believe that any failure he is or was a part of is someone else’s fault. The Elliott response to creating a side for the next premiership was 'how can we cheat to get what we want?' Hardly surprising that we then ended up with Pagan). So now we have a senior coach based on reputation ...but not addressing suitability. You d1ckhead Elliott.

Then we fell apart. Then we had a couple of dreadful Presidents... both with agendas that were not loyal to the principles of our club, let alone on-field excellence (or actually understanding what it means to be a President of an entity seeking to achieve the best in every regard).

Then we realised we were a total f*ckup. In all areas. And then we got Pratt. And he got Swann. And a favourite son as senior coach. And then Pratt died (and along with his death, our leadership). Then Sticks became President. So then we had a novice Senior Coach; novice President; new fitness coach and f*cknose in charge of recruiting and dev. Only the CEO actually really knew what he was doing.

But now... we have a CEO who has delivered under difficult, very difficult circumstances. We have a Senior Coach who only a few short years ago stood on the biggest dais (and has almost 3 decades of success experience). We also now have a fitness leader who has presided over 4 grand final campaigns in 13 years. Future Presidents are looming...

Sorry but I can only see we are heading the best and right direction. Sh1te, even as recent as last year we were not getting as frequent updates on our website as our sultry Loretta is providing...
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #22
That's a pretty good, honest and accurate assessment there Baggers.

MM certainly brings a lot of (successful) experience to the club. I agree we are heading in the right direction, here's hoping it all pays off with the ultimate success, a premiership !!
Mens sana in corpore sano - A healthy mind in a healthy body.

Navy, it's not just a color, it's an attitude !!!

Reply #23
Nice assessment baggers.

Would be good of someone could compile an explicit history of the last 20 years.

Reply #24
yes, improvements for sure - innovative? no
most of that personnel came from one club our arch enemy - that doesn't flatter me
we are paying overs for people past their best - that needs to be phased out. Lake took a 200k paycut  to play with the hawks, when that happens with us , i'll be fkn thrilled

Reply #25
most of that personnel came from one club our arch enemy - that doesn't flatter me
we are paying overs for people past their best - that needs to be phased out. Lake took a 200k paycut  to play with the hawks, when that happens with us , i'll be fkn thrilled

Ahh to be a desirable destination eh?
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #26

Yes TTB, poaching coaching, playing and administrative staff from the Pies is hardly a formula for long term and sustainable development.

Perhaps our long term plan is to get Ratts back once he is full bottle on the Hawks' approach to on and off field success. 

Whatever it takes, if we can match Hawthorn and Geelong's success, we'll have players, coaches and administrators knocking on the door in the hope of an opportunity with us.

Reply #27

Ahh to be a desirable destination eh?

Many factors to consider. Coaching group needs to be trusted. Playing group needs to be strong and balanced, and a side needs to be heading towards another flag or 2. We might be a bit away from this happening to us and we need to work with what we have for now.
This digital world is too much for us insects to understand.