Skip to main content
Topic: VFL Round 3 NBs vs Collingwood  (Read 16311 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: VFL Round 3 NBs vs Collingwood

Reply #120
Its when and where you kick your goals and the state of the game, Levi has missed too many goals that matter.
I dont care if he kicks six straight in a game where we win by 10 goals and had control of the game for 4 quarters(fictitious I know), its those soul destroying games where he gets that 30m shot in front and misses when its vital for momentum and impact on the result.

Reply #121
Comparing Buddy to Levi - too funny. I had to check my calendar to see if it was still the off season, when absurd discussions and comparisons abound. And I'm not a Levi hater.

Reply #122
Its when and where you kick your goals and the state of the game, Levi has missed too many goals that matter.
I dont care if he kicks six straight in a game where we win by 10 goals and had control of the game for 4 quarters(fictitious I know), its those soul destroying games where he gets that 30m shot in front and misses when its vital for momentum and impact on the result.

In fairness to Levi he kicks some team lifting goals as well, it's just the ratio of soul-breakers to heart-lifters is all wrong.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #123
Comparing Buddy to Levi - too funny. I had to check my calendar to see if it was still the off season, when absurd discussions and comparisons abound. And I'm not a Levi hater.

Just mentioning how Casboult's goal kicking accuracy is pretty normal over the course of his career. Nobody seems to keen on this point however. Nobody is saying he's comparable to Buddy as a footballer.

Reply #124
Dangerfield is a rank kick and makes a lot of bad decisions with ball in hand,  but many  people reckon he's in the top three players in the league.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #125
Dangerfield is a rank kick and makes a lot of bad decisions with ball in hand,  but many  people reckon he's in the top three players in the league.

Dangerfield bombs the ball long like Robinson, in fact once he gets hold of the ball Dangerfield disposes of it a lot like Mitch Robinson did when he was at Carlton. The main difference between the two is the way Dangerfield works and competes to win the football, he is an average ball user compared to someone like Ablett Jnr, but if you include disposal efficiency I'm afraid Dangerfield is ordinary at best. He gets away with a lot because he usually send the ball 60m forward out of the trouble zone, if some kid did that the scribes would beat up on them!

But coaches don't seem to rate that, which is ironic because coaches always tell you they can turn an athlete into a footballer. Yet they can't rate ball use highly, proof is when you see them giving McKay top votes in the AFLCA despite a couple of horrible misses.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #126
Just mentioning how Casboult's goal kicking accuracy is pretty normal over the course of his career. Nobody seems to keen on this point however. Nobody is saying he's comparable to Buddy as a footballer.

Comparing to Buddy as how he is normal, is like comparing success with St. Kilda.

Buddy Franklin sits in 2nd place, on the behinds kicked in a game by a single player record with 11.

He kicked 2.11 against the dogs in 2007.
No, it wasn't weather related as it was played at the docklands.
Taking out his 2.11 the rest of the players managed a combined 30.12.

Buddy has kicked 6 behinds or more in a game on 16 occassions.
Yes, he gets a lot of shots on goal, but only 2 of those 16 occassions did he kick more goals than behinds.

Of people to compare Casboult to in order to get a 'normal/average' comparison with, Buddy is one of the worst.

Reply #127
Comparing to Buddy as how he is normal, is like comparing success with St. Kilda.

Buddy Franklin sits in 2nd place, on the behinds kicked in a game by a single player record with 11.

He kicked 2.11 against the dogs in 2007.
No, it wasn't weather related as it was played at the docklands.
Taking out his 2.11 the rest of the players managed a combined 30.12.

Buddy has kicked 6 behinds or more in a game on 16 occassions.
Yes, he gets a lot of shots on goal, but only 2 of those 16 occassions did he kick more goals than behinds.

Of people to compare Casboult to in order to get a 'normal/average' comparison with, Buddy is one of the worst.

Yes, Buddy's value is winning the football, he wins more contests than he loses and he is a contested football monster. If Levi won the one on one contests like Buddy we wouldn't give a rats ar5e about the kicking problems. But claiming he statistically kicks it like Buddy is very deceptive, Franklin can hit a 60m away team-mate on the run lace out after beating multiple opponents at ground level.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #128

His good far outweighs his bad and it’s overlooked.

If Levi kicked as many goals as Buddy (I wish!), his goal kicking accuracy wouldn’t be an issue.  Although Fev’s poster from 30 metres out against the Hawks is indelibly etched in my memory ????
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #129
Although Fev’s poster from 30 metres out against the Hawks is indelibly etched in my memory ????

Fev's stand out because of how rare it is, Levi has had so many they don't stand out at all! ;D

What would Fev's ratio of Gooduns to Baduns be, he's probably one of the best KPP kicks for goal in the last 30 years? Right up there in my opinion with Dunstall and Lockett, who are probably the best KPF kicks I've ever seen!

It's like defining Sticks by that miss!

In general of all players I'd have to say Wayne Johnston was the best big moment goal kicker I've ever seen, but Fev wasn't far behind.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #130
His good far outweighs his bad and it’s overlooked.

If Levi kicked as many goals as Buddy (I wish!), his goal kicking accuracy wouldn’t be an issue.  Although Fev’s poster from 30 metres out against the Hawks is indelibly etched in my memory ????

That poster aside, yes i was there too  :-[, Fev was uncanny at standing up when it mattered. The opposite to Casboult.

Who could forget Adelaide?

Reply #131

Dangerfield would make a good NBA player...in the NBA if you are a star and it looks good you get away with it , he does have a nice kicking style, but you are right he misses a lot
of goals and sprays the ball by foot on the run also a lot. You compare that to Pendlebury who hardly wastes a disposal but if you asked average joe who was the better player most would
choose Dangerfield IMO as he is remembered for all the big plays he makes but not for his mistakes which are many.

Reply #132
Dangerfield would make a good NBA player...in the NBA if you are a star and it looks good you get away with it , he does have a nice kicking style, but you are right he misses a lot
of goals and sprays the ball by foot on the run also a lot. You compare that to Pendlebury who hardly wastes a disposal but if you asked average joe who was the better player most would
choose Dangerfield IMO as he is remembered for all the big plays he makes but not for his mistakes which are many.

I coached a girl at Diamond Valley who was like that.  She tried all sorts of ambitious passes and shots and her cheer squad, led by the doting parents, would remark that the intended target should have got the pass or the shot was unlucky and her teammates should have got the offensive rebound.  She transferred to a "better team" when we didn't make Vic Championship and, boy, was I glad to see the back of her and her family  :)

As I said earlier, Dangerfield's good outweighs his bad and those clutch goals he manages cancel out the Robbo-style bombs and missed targets.  And I think that you have to give coalface players a little leeway with disposal efficiency - unless your name is Samo  :)
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #133
I coached a girl at Diamond Valley who was like that.  She tried all sorts of ambitious passes and shots and her cheer squad, led by the doting parents, would remark that the intended target should have got the pass or the shot was unlucky and her teammates should have got the offensive rebound.  She transferred to a "better team" when we didn't make Vic Championship and, boy, was I glad to see the back of her and her family  :)

As I said earlier, Dangerfield's good outweighs his bad and those clutch goals he manages cancel out the Robbo-style bombs and missed targets.  And I think that you have to give coalface players a little leeway with disposal efficiency - unless your name is Samo  :)

DJ...Ever run across a coach named John Moore at Diamond Valley? Would have coached VC or Metro 1 boys

Reply #134
DJ...Ever run across a coach named John Moore at Diamond Valley? Would have coached VC or Metro 1 boys

No, the girls program was run quite separately from the boys program and I didn't really know any of the coaches.