Skip to main content
Topic: Rd 19: Carlton vs Freo: Post Match Pain Again (Read 37488 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Rd 19: Carlton vs Freo: Post Match Pain Again

Reply #75
Mil,  Dawson has been holding forwards by both arms since the day dot... but the umps are blind too it.  It has been a blight on the game for years.  I've been to games and heard him referred to as the "backpack" (it goes around both arms and over the shoulders...).

I just can't get over the holding of Judd by the arms off the ball.

At one stage the commentators were lauding Fyfe's resolve to attack the ball, but he only got there first because he pulled Juddy by the wrist to off-balance him.  And not just in last night's game - happens regularly. Obviously a ploy because it's harder for the umpires to spot someone being held by the wrist/forearm than it is a jumper.  Needs to be the next 'grey' area to be addressed by the umpires.
Keyboard warrior #24601

Reply #76
I'm not too disappointed in the end result as the boys stuck to their guns. In the end an absolute champ in Fyfe refuses to let his season die and drags his team with him over the line. In contrast, on 4 occassions we made bad mistakes in the dying moments, we don't bork out 1 and we win. Good signs IMO.

The difference was our champ is 31 got his ankle smashed otherwise we win. ;)

How far has Murphy come along? Gibbs is getting Kouta like in the forward 50 stoppages where you half expect him to snaffle a sausage whenever he is there.

Ridiculous how tough and hard Murphy has become in the last 2 months. There was one stoppage where Crowley was holding on to him the ball came their way and Murphy ripped it off him and broke the tackle then in heavy traffic smashed through a couple and then dummied another. He got caught in the end but the contested effort was amazing. Reminded me of Judd in his heyday, taking on each contest like it was his last.

I was ready to fly over to WA myself to put Thomas down and out of our collective misery but very strong finish. If he finishes the year off with that form, I'll be a little bit less grumpy about the signing

Me I thought he was just okay, he got a lot of touches when we switched the ball and they were marks out wide on the wing. He made two awful errors in the last quarter turning it over under no pressure and then the spilled mark inside defensive 50m. Still, he did get plenty of touches so at least he was in the game for once. Kicking still a massive issue.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #77
The mark that Levi dropped was terrible which led to Woods unfortunat kick I do not blame him.

Can anyone tell me why Ellard gets a game other thasn the photo's, the video, the recording and U Tube clips of Mick, a sheep and an underage midget playing nude twister that he obviously has.

He is short, slow, can't mark over his head and from last night can't kick. He lays a few tackles, that is only because he isn't first to the ball. He has been subbed a couple of times but they keep picking him, missing goals (lucky to kick a point from) 30 metres out is inexcusable and then later to try and dribble it from the outside of his boot for I think out of bounds is a disgrace.

Poor Poor football kept teh Freos in the game>

I cannot be convinced that Armfield is not a better bet, tries to break lines can kick goals and could have gone down on to Ballantyne.

I support Mick but not on this one

Reply #78
I am disappointed... Freo were very gettable, we had plenty of chances. Symbolic of the last two seasons.

We dominated the 3rd qtr, but wasted it by chipping the ball around half back. That was the time to take a risk. We were a goal or 2 away from sealing it that qtr.

The effort was there, but no composure or skill when it really mattered.

Reply #79
Whilst the tactic deployed by MM to switch the ball back and forth across the ground worked quite well I thought we overdid it a little and should have attacked in some scenarios.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #80
The mark that Levi dropped was terrible which led to Woods unfortunat kick I do not blame him.

Can anyone tell me why Ellard gets a game other thasn the photo's, the video, the recording and U Tube clips of Mick, a sheep and an underage midget playing nude twister that he obviously has.

He is short, slow, can't mark over his head and from last night can't kick. He lays a few tackles, that is only because he isn't first to the ball. He has been subbed a couple of times but they keep picking him, missing goals (lucky to kick a point from) 30 metres out is inexcusable and then later to try and dribble it from the outside of his boot for I think out of bounds is a disgrace.

I cannot be convinced that Armfield is not a better bet, tries to break lines can kick goals and could have gone down on to Ballantyne.

Yep Levi had a shocker...I thought it was Hampson like the way he tried to take the ball and that last dropped mark was the reason that Freo forced it forward and ended up with the Wood turn over.

Armfield has been terrible...like he has something else bothering him.....no zip in his game, weak tackling etc etc.....

Ellard is a battler but gets found out vs decent competition and we need better...

Reply #81
I think its my fault chaps.

I traded Wood into my DT side yesterday.

Then I listened to the game on the radio in the man cave, until my brew was finished, then I went inside and caught the last 5mins on tv. That's when it went slightly pear shaped. Bah!

So blame me.

Overall though, as per many other posters not too disappointed with the result.

A bottom 6 finish and a top 6 pick is muchly required next season.

More positives for us than them in that game. Freo are not much chop, like Port currently too...

Reply #82
I am disappointed... Freo were very gettable, we had plenty of chances. Symbolic of the last two seasons.

We dominated the 3rd qtr, but wasted it by chipping the ball around half back. That was the time to take a risk. We were a goal or 2 away from sealing it that qtr.

The effort was there, but no composure or skill when it really mattered.

Agree.

Freo weren't at their best, and you can argue whether they had an off night or whether we pressured them into playing that way. Either way, it matters not. They were a hell of a lot tighter and more focused than Norf, and to think that our boys were ahead with about 1 minute to go, playing them on their own dung heap, was great to see. And to think Cas and Rowe were well down on previous weeks. Well done again to coaches and players.

Reply #83
re: Crowley....the game is getting tougher for him....umpies are allowing him to be hammered while free kicking his opponents for any slight hold/50/50 tackle etc. Thought we did a good job in blocking for Murphy and Crowley copped some treatment both on and off the ball....hard for his coach to complain given Crowley's tactics but I think you might hear Ross Lyon complaining if it continues as i thought Crowley wasnt a factor last night and was a passenger given his low possie count.

It was funny when that twerp commentator Basil (Fawlty?) was on about Crowley who had been felled behind play and couldn't get up off his knees. Babbling Bazza was going on about "He's on his knees, he's on his knees, what happened, who did that to him!!" etc. etc. No one else was giving a rat's bum.  :))
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #84
I think its my fault chaps.

I traded Wood into my DT side yesterday.

Then I listened to the game on the radio in the man cave, until my brew was finished, then I went inside and caught the last 5mins on tv. That's when it went slightly pear shaped. Bah!

So blame me.

Overall though, as per many other posters not too disappointed with the result.

A bottom 6 finish and a top 6 pick is muchly required next season.

More positives for us than them in that game. Freo are not much chop, like Port currently too...

You'll be playing in the magoos until the end of the season, then delisted.

Reply #85
@Bancroft

Mate, we need to at least be replacing Ellard, Armfield, Brock and Carrots with some decent midfield talent next year if we are to move forward from last night. OK, Carrots does sometimes show something but he's rapidly getting past it and we need someone younger with more zip to replace him.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #86
Mil,  Dawson has been holding forwards by both arms since the day dot... but the umps are blind too it.  It has been a blight on the game for years.  I've been to games and heard him referred to as the "backpack" (it goes around both arms and over the shoulders...).

I just can't get over the holding of Judd by the arms off the ball.

At one stage the commentators were lauding Fyfe's resolve to attack the ball, but he only got there first because he pulled Juddy by the wrist to off-balance him.  And not just in last night's game - happens regularly. Obviously a ploy because it's harder for the umpires to spot someone being held by the wrist/forearm than it is a jumper.  Needs to be the next 'grey' area to be addressed by the umpires.

Fyfe is a fair player but I was  surprised we didnt get a bit more physical with him...I have seen Jordan Lewis play on him especially at stoppages and Fyfe doesnt have the same
impact He  is blocked from running through and doesnt seem as keen to contest like he did vs us....our blokes gave him too much space to move in.
The Hawks really gang tackle him hard and we couldnt seem to lay a finger on him.....he walked through five of our players at one stage without a tackle laid and I couldnt believe
we didnt do more to stop him...

Reply #87
As bitterly dissapointing as last nights loss was at least we looked like we were going to win. As is too often the case our errors cost us dearly. Still some positives are in play but I’m a bit too scarred from previous years to let myself get too carried away with what the future may hold.
However depressing it all was last night, I’ll be more peed-off if we follow-up next week with a dismal effort against Gold Coast and lose again against a side we should beat, again.

Reply #88
You can not play three slows ie Curnow, Carrots and McLean in the same side.

Why does our MC choose a slow endurance runner as the sub, we do it over and over again and it doesn't work. McLean's best games are always four quarter efforts in which his continual motion runs an opponent into the ground. Had the large Freo bodies spent the first three quarters trying to move McLean off the ball instead of the lighter weights the last quarter would have been interesting and perhaps different.

We played Graham as sub for three or four games, the kids at best goes in 2nd gear for four quarters and tackles like a lunatic so we maek him sub!

McLean jogs up and down the ground almost continually and uses footy brains to out position opponents. McLean doesn't come on the ground and burn off anybody!

All this says to me, we don't understand the sub, it's another new trick our old coach has to learn for us to have a chance!

We need to re-incarnate Fraser Murphy as a permanent sub. How good was he off the bench back when it was used differently.

Reply #89

Yep Levi had a shocker...I thought it was Hampson like the way he tried to take the ball and that last dropped mark was the reason that Freo forced it forward and ended up with the Wood turn over.

Armfield has been terrible...like he has something else bothering him.....no zip in his game, weak tackling etc etc.....

Ellard is a battler but gets found out vs decent competition and we need better...

Levi's first full season as a ruck/forward. He might be just going off the boil slightly as the year comes to a close. Shown enough though to suggest he'll be good for us into the future.

It's unlike Armfield so I'm not sure what's happening there. Usually his speed and tacking is very handy. The way we're running now it might just suit him next year though. That type of foot soldier playing well are handy going both ways.

Ellard's been handy at times for a rookie but no more than a depth player. We really don't need him. What's up with his goalkicking. He never used to miss. Bad misses and giving up red time goals kill us in low scoring games.