Skip to main content
Topic: Rd 18: Pre Game Premonitions: Carlton vs Brisbane (Read 15525 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Rd 18: Pre Game Premonitions: Carlton vs Brisbane

Reply #60
At first glance, that is a very, very young team!

At second glance, that is an incredibly inexperienced team!  Eight players have a grand total of 95 games between them, another three are yet to reach 50 games and only six have played more than 100 games.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #61
A lot better side (on paper) than last week... Better ball users and faster across the ground.  If we come to play we'll beat Brisbane.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #62
We can safely say that Jaksch is finished now that McKay has been picked ahead of him, the only player over 6 feet who hasn't is Kerr and he's out for the rest of the season.
What a stellar trade that was eh?
Anyhoo, the Bears will need to be pretty hopeless but they are so we might have a win, either that or a 57 to 54 point loss.
We need the draft picks anyway.
The only thing in this world worth more than a hill of beans is the Carlton Football Club.

Reply #63
We can safely say that Jaksch is finished now that McKay has been picked ahead of him, the only player over 6 feet who hasn't is Kerr and he's out for the rest of the season.
What a stellar trade that was eh?
Anyhoo, the Bears will need to be pretty hopeless but they are so we might have a win, either that or a 57 to 54 point loss.
We need the draft picks anyway.

Jaksch was a highly rated kid. Much higher rated than Jones was.

You win some. You lose some.

Reply #64

I'm not sure what Jones has to do with the apparent demise of Jaksch  ???

The problem is that until the last two draft/trade periods, we lost a hell of a lot more than we won  :(

“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #65
At second glance, that is an incredibly inexperienced team!  Eight players have a grand total of 95 games between them, another three are yet to reach 50 games and only six have played more than 100 games.

That certainly tips the scales Brisbanes way.

A bit like the side we played PA with. Hope it doesn't blow out like that one did.
I spent most of my money on Women and grog.
The rest I just wasted.

Reply #66

The guys getting replaced are not all that more experienced and this group is certainly better although Williamson may not come up.
Shame, I think we've missed him

Reply #67
Not sure Boekhurst and Sumner would be sleeping well tonight.
Boekhorst can consider himself a bit stiff. He hasn't been that bad. Sumner, on the other hand, probably realizes his time is up. Last week killed his career as a senior player with us.

Harry McKay is probably a bit lucky. He has been down in recent weeks. But he does now get an opportunity where at least some of the guys can kick it in his general direction. It may also be in his half more often, no matter how poor our forward football can be. That will help him. Last week he got seriously cold.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #68

The Jaksch trade effectively cost us pick 7 as Whiley is gone and Boekhorst is soon to be gone, Jones cost us pick 46.
Whether he was highly rated as a kid means nothing as we recruited him when he'd been on a senior list for two years and played 7 games for a very modest return.
It was a woeful trade which was symptomatic of our recruiting and drafting over a decade or more, which is why we now find ourselves bereft of talent in the mid age demographic.
Premiership teams need 10 or 12 players aged between 25 and 30 if history is any guide and it will be another 4 years minimum before we reach that point.
The only thing in this world worth more than a hill of beans is the Carlton Football Club.

Reply #69

That certainly tips the scales Brisbanes way.

A bit like the side we played PA with. Hope it doesn't blow out like that one did.

Our kids are more at home than they were when we played PA, particularly the likes of Curnow, although we lack Cripps.
A win would surprise me but I doubt that it will be a heavy loss.

Reply #70
Boekhorst can consider himself a bit stiff. He hasn't been that bad. Sumner, on the other hand, probably realizes his time is up. Last week killed his career as a senior player with us.

Harry McKay is probably a bit lucky. He has been down in recent weeks. But he does now get an opportunity where at least some of the guys can kick it in his general direction. It may also be in his half more often, no matter how poor our forward football can be. That will help him. Last week he got seriously cold.

Not about luck thuogh, the kid needs to be exposed to the higher level.

Some blokes just perform better at the higher level (and there's no point me reiterating the lack of leather poisoning given the NB's recent patch of form). Cuners a prime example.... like the way he appears to be advancing.

The press talk of Harry at 200cm, when he's likely 204cm+ now (based on his own words ...).

That extra height and wingspan makes a big difference in the 4th quarter when tiredness sets in.

Having a second tall target has been a big hole for us for too long.

Crows have Tex - 195cm. Lynch - 191cm (Jac's height?), Jenkins - 200cm, McGovern - 191cm and Otten - 194cm.

Interesting that Cripps and Charlie are as tall as Tex?

Anyway, with Levi and Harry both 200cm and more - and the former an elite 1 on 1 or larger contested mark - and with both liking to crash packs etc. it's a hard match up to counter.....

With Charlie, Levi and Harry all as legitimate tall targets in the forward line that has to stretch opposition defences? Again if we get some quick ball movement in there....

Worth playing SPS as the crumbing small forward for a few weeks?

Hoping Pickett steps up next year - an elite talent but maybe not that hungry?
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #71

My concern is delivery into the fwd line. Sticking a two meter kid there and bombing it in like they have been doing to Casboult will ruin him IMO. Cas can look after himself because of his bulk and his elite marking skills. Harry has neither of these attributes yet so he needs to find space and run onto the footy. I hope they ease him in and constantly talk to him and instruct him (players and coaches). He has shown zero to me in the 2s to suggest he is ready to play AFL, I assume they have a plan to gently expose him to the elite level.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #72
Depending on the match ups, a 2 pronged tall forward target might just work. Yes this also depends on the quality of entries. But we've not had this option for, well I'm not sure how long. Here's hoping we catch the Lion's out adjusting to our structure, and kick off to an early lead.

Good luck to H. I hope he manages a couple of special moments. Moments where the defense is focused on big Levi and H puts it through the big sticks... OK, so that's debut dreaming.

This game, later in the season, has been problematic the last couple of years. No doubt hampered by our injury list and the travel. Oh and the home ground advantage. At least Robbo's not playing this time. He's pulled one out of his hat during the last two meetings.

Go Blues.
Coming together is the beginning.
Keeping together is progress.
Working together is success.
Henry Ford.

Reply #73
Don't have an easier game in our run home. Have a better team in this week and if we play close to our best should be good enough to get the points today. 

Even though I'm very happy with the years development I think its important we get more reward for effort and not a better chance then today.

Play Cats, Cheats and Hawks in Melb and Sydney and WC away. Will be rack outsiders in all other games.

A loss will mean we are back in the running for the spoon - not the place I want to be in a second year of a rebuild.

Reply #74
The Jaksch trade effectively cost us pick 7 as Whiley is gone and Boekhorst is soon to be gone, Jones cost us pick 46.
Whether he was highly rated as a kid means nothing as we recruited him when he'd been on a senior list for two years and played 7 games for a very modest return.
It was a woeful trade which was symptomatic of our recruiting and drafting over a decade or more, which is why we now find ourselves bereft of talent in the mid age demographic.
Premiership teams need 10 or 12 players aged between 25 and 30 if history is any guide and it will be another 4 years minimum before we reach that point.

I know what the trade cost us.

My point is that Jones was a speculative nothing pick that nobody was overly pleased with, but it is paying off.

People lament the Jaksch trade, but based on %'s that was by far the better trade.

As i said, you win some, you lose some.

We got lucky with Jones. We were unlucky with Jaksch. In reality, the 2 'performances' should've been the other way around.