Skip to main content
Topic: The prodigal son returns - Simon Wiggins back at Carlton (Read 1839 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: The prodigal son returns - Simon Wiggins back at Carlton

Reply #1
It's a funny thing
Some players have a great natural talent yet are a little slack in training and preparation. It all comes a bit easy for them.
They'll be good players. Fan favourites in many cases and remembered long after they finish.

Rarely you have the great natural talent combined with a strong attitude and commitment to keep improving, and these are the players that end up with the champion tag.

Then you have the workhorse player. The fringe player, who doesn't possess the great natural skills but gets the absolute maximum out of themselves. Derided by many for their lack of ability they're actually the 'heart and soul' players. While many fans are critical, if you ask folks internally they're favourites of coaches and fellow players. You'll see them put the block on for a team-mate when all around them more gifted players jog past such a contest. They're greatly under-appreciated and in many cases only a fading memory years after they finish playing. Wiggins probably fits this last description.

I have some great memories of great players over the years but Simon Wiggins is right up there as a favourite of mine.

Reply #2
Why is he a prodigal son ?

Reply #3
Why is he a prodigal son ?

A bit of artistic license. ;)

I know Lods is/was a huge fan....as you could see from the above. ;)

Reply #4
Ahhh, the Wiggler! Great memories.  :)
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #5
A bit of artistic license. ;)

I know Lods is/was a huge fan....as you could see from the above. ;)

I think a lot of the admiration stems from my own competition and coaching experience. I've always rated the 'battler' above the others for who things come pretty naturally and easy.
I think that attitude and determination flows across into other areas of life in a lot of instances.

If we have a look back at our history we can see a few wasted talents, some of who were still greater performers...but could have been even better.

Reply #6
A bazillion times more honest than Peter Riccardi.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #7
Chief Wiggum ....gave his all

Reply #8
Chief Wiggum ....gave his all

Thanks for that!  I never knew where the ‘Chief’ nickname came from :)

It’s great that the club engages past players and particularly those who worked their butts off to be their best.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball