Skip to main content
Topic: Carlton vs Sydney: Post match Pain (Read 39550 times) previous topic - next topic

Carlton vs Sydney: Post match Pain

Well, the first half wasn't bad. Pity about the 3rd quarter.
Live Long and Prosper!

Re: Carlton vs Sydney: Post match Pain

Reply #1
We had 2 4 quarter players: Gibbs and Murphy who played their guts out. We had a few more who tried - Ed Curnow, for example. And we had a lot of guys who had very quiet nights.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #2
Curnow is a real trier. But his disposal is shocking.

If he can't improve that aspect of his game by next year, he won't last in that team.

Triers are good, but if they lack the basic skills, they won't win you a flag. let alone get you in the top 8.

Reply #3
41 possessions for Kennedy and we tried to stop him. McVeigh loves playing against us too: 29 possession when he did nothing on the first half at all.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #4
Anyway, I'm off to have some Chamomile tea.
Good night, gents, and ladies if there are any out there.

Reply #5
17 rounds into the season. You have the team currently 1st playing the team currently 14th. The end result further illuminates the previous 16 rounds.

The team is playing well below its potential. I know this isn't a popular view.

Reply #6
Murphy is the only player who can walk off with his head up, in the face of what the rest dished up it was a remarkable game by him.
Gibbs was OK, Curnow battled away but he's not much chop with the ball in his hands, Tuohy didn't drop his head.
The rest of them were pathetic, just rolled over when it got tough, there's half a dozen in that team who will never be good enough.
The only thing in this world worth more than a hill of beans is the Carlton Football Club.

Reply #7
I really question the use of Graham as sub again. We know what Ellard brings to the team and that's the reason he hasn't been getting a game. Why not make Ellard the sub and give Graham a proper crack at it. If we're trying to 'regenerate' then it's moves like this that make me think our coach has lost the plot.

@Paul P

I agree 100% surprise surprise!
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #8
Enjoy your tea, bignic. I'm still letting off steam. I couldn't be more frustrated if I tried.
And Paul, you are 100 % correct. The game showed exactly why we are so far below Sydney on the ladder.

I simply cannot find anything that we got out of the game after half time.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #9
Interesting to see Laidler chatting to Judd after the siren:

Judd: "You made the right decision!"

Laidler: "How do you put up with his rubbish?"

Judd:  "It's not easy but he's not the club, just a passing aberration."

Laidler:  "I hope you're right.  You're an icon of the game and your coach should give you the respect you deserve."

Judd:  "I don't know about that but we can always hope that he realises that the game has passed him by and takes his own words to heart; you're remembered by how you performed in your last season."
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #10
We just have too many ordinary players with average to poor skills when under the pressure applied by top teams. Until these guys are replaced we will not get any better. IMO most of our problems are due to the very shallow depth of talent in the midfield. Aside from Gibbs, Murph, and to a lesser degree Juddy, we were smashed in that area by a clinical and ruthless Swans midfield, especially in the 3Q.

Our defence was under constant pressure and our forwards were starved out for long periods.

Big clean out next year I think.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #11
Interesting Laids still seemed very popular with the group. Could that be the reason he was treated so shabbily, Mick felt threatened by his popularity? Not suggesting I know this for one moment but it's certainly a situation that remains open to interpretation.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #12
Well, the game was extremely good at highlighting our deficiencies:
[1] Ruck:
Even though Warnock was being beaten consistently, we didn't have any other option. For all the flack Warnock gets, he is not that bad. But he does have his limitations, and tonight we saw them. He does not handle big, strong blokes that well.
We need to recruit at least 1 new ruckman, as Kreuzer may never be the one we hoped he'd be. I am not seeing that many good rucks available this draft.

[2] Midfield:
We actually have a decent reputation ay getting contested ball, but Kennedy thrashed us in that regard tonight. We really need to work on our midfield, as we didn't have many to throw into it to make a difference. Gibbs and Murphy did well while Curnow did his job effectively. That was it.

[3] Forward line:
When our mids are being beaten, we really don't have a winning option up forward. We really need to work on that. Sydney had guys who took marks even when w were thrashing Goodes and Franklin. We didn't have the same power. Levi has great hands, but he doesn't get the ball enough and doesn't do enough with it.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #13
We just have too many ordinary players with average to poor skills when under the pressure applied by top teams. Until these guys are replaced we will not get any better. IMO most of our problems are due to the very shallow depth of talent in the midfield. Aside from Gibbs, Murph, and to a lesser degree Juddy, we were smashed in that area by a clinical and ruthless Swans midfield, especially in the 3Q.

Our blokes never seem to get excited, they're rarely up for it and never look like they're enjoying themselves. They were up for it in the first half though and they countered Buddy very well. What happened?
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #14
Just watching fat head Eddie and sh1t talking king on fox.

They were commenting on yarran laughing and joking with buddy after he kicked his fifth goal.

They were saying if you lip read buddy he was giving it to our defenders and they reckon the word 'embarrassing' was used.

But instead of our defenders reacting by verbally abusinb him or god forbid maybr start a fight - instead one of them joins in his one man party by joking and laughing with the pr1ck in full camera view. Oh by the way we were over 10goals down at that stage.

Can't believe what a rabble we have become.