Skip to main content
Topic: AFL Rd 1 2024 Pre Game Prognostications Carlton vs Richmond (Read 2276 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: AFL Rd 1 2024 Pre Game Prognostications Carlton vs Richmond

Reply #75
That's how I see it.

I think fans are giving Fantasia credits that as yet remain undeserved, for a variety of reasons he's been ordinary since leaving the filth.

As you mention we know Owies has missed a bunch of pre-season, I think I posted as much in the pre-game questioning about how they could all be playing not having stepped on the field yet for 2024. But at least we saw Owies willing to do the work to get contests, that's his gig, and as I see it that's the modern small forward role. FWIW, I thought Hollands games was similar, he was all over the ground but not very effective or influential particularly before 1/2-time.

They all looked better once we got on a roll, but that can't keep happening.

The cameo stuff some fans like is in my perspective way over-rated.
Agree....he is a stylish player which always hides imperfections from a distance imho and while I agree that small forward can be  a graveyard position if the team is travelling poorly and opportunities are limited I dont see the hype around him even when he had his glory days at Essendon. If you are going to be a 10-12 possession or less a game player then those possies have to be exceptional quality and deliver big plays for the time along the lines of what Jack Martin creates.
No doubting his skills and he is a pleasant player to watch but I want to see more substance and game changing plays if he is going to hold his place ahead of more workmanlike players like Owies, Fogarty etc.

Reply #76
This is the sort of game that could really set the season up. Bye next week and then North....by then hopefully guys like Weitering, Motlop, Walsh, Martin, Marchbank etc might be ready or close to coming back. Guys like Weitering, Walsh and Martin will come straight in and Motlop probably before then anyway.

Then I think it's Freo in SA for Gather Round?

A 4-0 start would be a huge launching pad before some really tough games.

Reply #77
That's how I see it.

I think fans are giving Fantasia credits that as yet remain undeserved, for a variety of reasons he's been ordinary since leaving the filth.

As you mention we know Owies has missed a bunch of pre-season, I think I posted as much in the pre-game questioning about how they could all be playing not having stepped on the field yet for 2024. But at least we saw Owies willing to do the work to get contests, that's his gig, and as I see it that's the modern small forward role. FWIW, I thought Hollands games was similar, he was all over the ground but not very effective or influential particularly before 1/2-time.

They all looked better once we got on a roll, but that can't keep happening.

The cameo stuff some fans like is in my perspective way over-rated.

You've always had a bit of a man-crush for Owies LP but you have to admit that he was a spectator for most of the game and got nowhere near his usual ouput.  Several folk here commented on the wisdom of his selection after he only took part in one reserves practice game and I think he was short of a gallop and not quite up to the pace of the game.

Fantasia had a full pre-season ... by his standards, but is still a bit off the pace.  I think that showed in his poor disposal after he had worked hard to get the pill.  Still, his two goal assists were critical and he could have easily blazed away.

It was nowhere near enough for AFL, and further Fantasia DE went at just 45% in gathering those 1%ers, if you go with a DE under 50%, that means you helped them more than you helped us!

Fantasia had two turnovers to four from Owies.  I think that means Owies helped Brisbane more than Fantasia did.

Hopefully, they'll both be better for the run and will play good footy tonight.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #78
Dustin Martin, Tom Lynch, Toby Nankervis are handy inclusions.
Hopefully we've got them covered 🤞

Keen to see Carroll in the starting 22.

Go Blues.

Oh, and lets not follow our VFL form
Coming together is the beginning.
Keeping together is progress.
Working together is success.
Henry Ford.