Skip to main content
Topic: Give Harry a go (Read 49021 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Give Harry a go

Reply #165
I never thought he was the same......10 years......went quick ;)

Yeah...74, 75, 76, 77 & 78 were unimportant anyway......I'd still like a Geoff Southby even circa 1980 in our side today !!!

Life is pain....... anyone who says differently is selling something.

Reply #166
Yeah...74, 75, 76, 77 & 78 were unimportant anyway......I'd still like a Geoff Southby even circa 1980 in our side today !!!

Southby would revel in modern footy today with his sublime skills and reading of the play.....he was playing on at every opportunity at FB back in his day and was along with Dench from North was the new breed of defender.
Great player and saddened me when I read about his battles with depression and how serious they were even during his times as a player....
When I read about supporters wanting Balme at our club to run the footy dept I just think I'd rather stay bottom than let that piece of scum anywhere near our club ....

Reply #167
When I read about supporters wanting Balme at our club to run the footy dept I just think I'd rather stay bottom than let that piece of scum anywhere near our club ....

I'll second that.
The only thing in this world worth more than a hill of beans is the Carlton Football Club.

Reply #168
Southby would revel in modern footy today with his sublime skills and reading of the play.....he was playing on at every opportunity at FB back in his day and was along with Dench from North was the new breed of defender.
Great player and saddened me when I read about his battles with depression and how serious they were even during his times as a player....

Balme is an excellent footy administrator and if he helped us to jag a flag, it would go some small way to atoning for his past misdemeanours. We've had plenty of dirty players over the journey.

Reply #169
Balme is an excellent footy administrator and if he helped us to jag a flag, it would go some small way to atoning for his past misdemeanours. We've had plenty of dirty players over the journey.

Yep Records show he is a excellent footy administrator but we can never go that low that we allow him anywhere near our football club, thats selling our soul to the devil.......
He is dog excrement and as Inspector Harry Callahan could tell you a lot of things can happen to dog crape.....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=58sP8azcHfQ

Reply #170
Yep Records show he is a excellent footy administrator but we can never go that low that we allow him anywhere near our football club, thats selling our soul to the devil.......
He is dog excrement and as Inspector Harry Callahan could tell you a lot of things can happen to dog crape.....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=58sP8azcHfQ

Defending Southby's honour is admirable, but not helpful to us. Balme isn't the only decent administrator out there, and all other things being equal I'd prefer someone else. The past can't be changed, and it's not as if we're punishing Balme by banning him. He would have plenty of suitors. But if we pass on him when it turns out he's the best man for the job, then we are being foolish and negligent.

Robert Walls has moved on, and not only is he good mates with Southby, he was also there when all these incidents occurred. If it's good enough for him, it should be good enough for us :

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/afl-great-robert-walls-accuses-collingwood-football-club-of-dishonesty-backs-neil-balme/news-story/44eb5f7692d1228abf37168f43544987

I don't hear too many complaints when Clarkson's name is mentioned as a potential coach - I guess Ian Aitken is a second class citizen in CFC folklore.

Reply #171
There are some things that can't be excused and taking out a champion player in a grand final is one of them.
I wouldn't expect Collingwood supporters to welcome Jim O'Dea at their club, and likewise Balme should be off limits at ours.
You can't take the emotion out of football and football clubs, people who say that it's a business are mistaken.
The only thing in this world worth more than a hill of beans is the Carlton Football Club.

Reply #172
There are some things that can't be excused and taking out a champion player in a grand final is one of them.
I wouldn't expect Collingwood supporters to welcome Jim O'Dea at their club, and likewise Balme should be off limits at ours.
You can't take the emotion out of football and football clubs, people who say that it's a business are mistaken.

If we want to get back to our former position at the top of the tree, we need the best in the business in key positions. If that means sometimes you have the occasional uncomfortable bedfellow, then so be it. You can bet London to a brick that the Pratts, Elliotts and George Harris' of this world wouldn't care a damn about what Balme did 50 years ago. Their attitude would be focussed on what this person can do for us now.

You make an assumption that your position on Balme would be shared by most Carlton supporters - I don't think that's right, and a large part of the differences may be age related. It's also important to understand that emotions exist in a dynamic state. If Balme helps us to win a flag, those positive feelings don't replace what happened in the past - they can co exist and the flag win may help to ameliorate some of the past negativities. Sometimes you just have to move on.

You've mentioned in the past that you're the type that holds grudges, so what I've just posted may mean little to you.

Reply #173
45 years ago. It's gone. We move on.

Southby forgave him years ago and if he can so can the rest of us. If Carlton people were happy having him around then so am I.

Reply #174

x2...We dont have much left, I dont intend to sell our pride and dignity and beg to Balme to save us...he never even apologised properly....
Cant believe integrity is so cheap on this forum.....

Reply #175
Sorry PaulP, I just can't get past it, it's unforgiveable as far as I'm concerned.
By the way mate, Harris, Elliott and Pratt are hardly role models in my book so I couldn't care less what their attitude would have been.

Reply #176
I know Russell has labeled Charlie a young Franklin,

but you would not blame Lurch for being scared of McKay, what a monster!

It's hard to imagine, if our mids can move the ball quickly enough and get it within 5m of this bloke, that anyone can fairly stop him!

Rnd 1 2019, 80K fans, sit the ball on Rance's or Grime's head 35m out from goal and let Harry do his thing!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #177
I know Russell has labeled Charlie a young Franklin,

but you would not blame Lurch for being scared of McKay, what a monster!

It's hard to imagine, if our mids can move the ball quickly enough and get it within 5m of this bloke, that anyone can fairly stop him!

Rnd 1 2019, 80K fans, sit the ball on Rance's or Grime's head 35m out from goal and let Harry do his thing!
I'd like to see that! :)
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #178
And a better bloke who loves the club with all his heart you will not meet. I have had abit to do with Geoff both at work and with SOC functions and he is a true gentlemen.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time