Skip to main content
Topic: Our Fastest Players 2020 (Read 1607 times) previous topic - next topic

Our Fastest Players 2020

Speed kings: Telstra Tracker reveals your club's fastest players  (by  Marc McGowan)
CARLTON
Top-five fastest players in 2020
Eddie Betts, 33.9km/h v Collingwood, round 14
Mitch McGovern, 33.6km/h v Greater Western Sydney, round 15
Liam Jones, 33.6km/h v Gold Coast, round 13
Jack Newnes, 33.4km/h v Greater Western Sydney, round 15
Matthew Cottrell, 33.1km/h v Greater Western Sydney, round 15

Re: Our Fastest Players 2020

Reply #1
Notice, not a midfielder to be sighted!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #2
Two wingers though.  Still these things are misleading.  Mids don't gallop in the open much and don't go at top pace because its not conducive to clean disposal either.  If they can sprint at medium top pace a lot rather than once or twice at fullλυ pace then what?
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #3
Two wingers though.  Still these things are misleading.  Mids don't gallop in the open much and don't go at top pace because its not conducive to clean disposal either.  If they can sprint at medium top pace a lot rather than once or twice at fullλυ pace then what?

Also the amount of km's they do means they are rarely in a position to reach top speed as the sting is taken out of their legs somewhat.

Reply #4
I suppose it's all relative.

Some clubs have two or three from their midfield rotation group in their top five fastest.

I wonder if we even have one of our midfield rotation in our top ten fastest, maybe Fisher!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #5
Is that  speed test with or without the ball?

Reply #6
Is that  speed test with or without the ball?
Some cynics might argue some of those top speeds were reached hitting the ground! ;D

I suspect some of our fastest seem significantly faster when they can smell an F50 scoring opportunity, and significantly slower when the situation is defensive running outside range!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #7
While he's no speed demon...One of the things that had me concerned about Cripps this season (and led me to believe he was playing injured) was that he seemed to lack that initial acceleration, that burst from the pack. He seemed to be OK if he was coming on a bit of a run with his speed already up. When  you're a bit worried about a lower body injury you often take a few tentative steps to make sure your legs are up to it before you accelerate.

That's the thing with a lot of midfielders though.
It's not a sustained speed but the initial acceleration over the first five or ten metres that's the key to their effectiveness.

Reply #8
While he's no speed demon...One of the things that had me concerned about Cripps this season (and led me to believe he was playing injured) was that he seemed to lack that initial acceleration, that burst from the pack. He seemed to be OK if he was coming on a bit of a run with his speed already up. When  you're a bit worried about a lower body injury you often take a few tentative steps to make sure your legs are up to it before you accelerate.

That's the thing with a lot of midfielders though.
It's not a sustained speed but the initial acceleration over the first five or ten metres that's the key to their effectiveness.
Agreed, but if they aren't hitting targets by foot they have to have team-mates passing who they can dish off to!

We have deficits in all these areas, we have too many of the one type.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #10
I would have had Jack martin as one of our quickest. 
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #11
I would have had Jack martin as one of our quickest. 
LP called him slow in another thread!  :o  :o

Acceleration wise, he's be up there with Eddie and Fish, top speed couldn't be too far off either.

Reply #12
Not many players would hit top speed during a game. Dangerfield would still smash everyone in the comp in a 100m sprint.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #13
Its all subjective IMO.....is it speed with the ball in hand, is it speed being chased as pressure will affect how you run or is it just speed in a straight line on a running track like a sprinter would run.
The bloke I would back is Gary Rohan....with ball in hand or without....and being chased.