Skip to main content
Topic: AFLW - General discussion thread (Read 9769 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: AFLW - General discussion thread

Reply #1
I agree 100% with Daisy!

AFLW should have a far greater priority over the abortion called AFLX!

But can we expect a functional and credible AFLW when the AFL doesn't even have it? :o

I don't understand why the AFL would risk stitching up 50% of their supporter base, get the girls offside and the whole sport will suffer!

There may be reasons for Kate Jenkins departure, I can see some issues arising! ;)
The Force Awakens!

Reply #2
Why the AFL NEEDS to have this in the mens off-season is something i don't understand.

That being said, there is a lot more to the off-season than just 8 weeks of footy leading up to the mens season.

Have some games in Nov-Dec and have a extended break over xmas/new years and come back in Jan-feb if you want.

Pretty sure the VFLW has restrictions on how many AFLW listed players can play in the side at any one time. So these 'elite AFLW athletes' are getting less games than the those running around in the VFLW...possibly only half as many games. How does that work?

The AFL had such a good start with this comp in its first year. It held relatively firm in its second year and was set for expansion in 2019 and 2020....yet it appears to have lost interest in it for some reason. As 6 weeks is just bollocks.

Reply #3
Note to Gill, the world cup goes for years, it is the finals that goes for fout weeks.

Reply #4
One thing that seems obvious is that Gil’s AFL responds to supporter backlash, as happened with trialling new rules fiasco.

If there’s enough outrage at the AFL’s latest bizarre proposal, Gil will back down faster than you can say, “AFLX is a gimmick!”
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #5
Note to Gill, the world cup goes for years, it is the finals that goes for fout weeks.

Not the sharpest tool in the shed, is he?
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #6
I don't see any good reason why the AFLW season cannot overlap with the AFL season, at least not in the long term. At the moment I can understand why it is run when it is. However, as Krud suggested, having the season start earlier in not impossible. Having it run into January is not a problem in itself, although some ground availability issues may arise. But making the AFLW a joke by having a truncated season doesn't help anyone.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #7
I don't see any good reason why the AFLW season cannot overlap with the AFL season, at least not in the long term. At the moment I can understand why it is run when it is. However, as Krud suggested, having the season start earlier in not impossible. Having it run into January is not a problem in itself, although some ground availability issues may arise. But making the AFLW a joke by having a truncated season doesn't help anyone.

Ground availability shouldn't be any more difficult than what it is currently.
My uderstanding is the current season runs in tandem with the cricket season as it is. So they can manage to find grounds to play on already, surely it can't be that much harder to find 1 extra ground per round than they do currently? (to cater for the extra 2 teams).

But yes, having it at the same time as the mens certainly does solve that problem, but probably creates another as it would clash with TV times and crowds which the mens would get priority on both counts.

Reply #8
Just heard Daniel Harford talk on SEN, gee he's a very positive speaker.
He sounds like he is invested in the programme.
Hope all goes well for the girls this Sunday against that blue and white team.
Is Waite playing for them?
2024... Moir of the same to come

Reply #9
Just heard Daniel Harford talk on SEN, gee he's a very positive speaker.
He sounds like he is invested in the programme.
Hope all goes well for the girls this Sunday against that blue and white team.
Is Waite playing for them?

He's a very positive, and smart, person. A quality acquisition for us. After the debacle of last year, and the coaching dog's breakfast, we were very fortunate to get Harf into the place, he's pulled it all together which is no mean feat considering some quality gals were all but gone.

It sure has reinvigorated my interest and I will be parked in front of the teev tomorrow for the season opener. Go Mighty BlueBagger Gals!! :)
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #10
I think our and Norps season will start and end tomorrow, we are scheduled to play in 30°C at 1pm in Hobart amid heat, smoke and dust from the fires. (Fires are SW of Hobart with SW winds forecast)

Not as bad as the Dees and Dockers, they play tomorrow at 3pm in Casey when it's pegged to be 39°C.

It's a very very silly arrangement, the sort of conditions the mid-fielders might not recover from in a short season! :o
The Force Awakens!

Reply #11
Two one point results from the first two games and what’s not to like about Collingwood losing by one point? ????

I thought that the Geelong-Collingwood game was the better spectacle and far more skilful footy was on display.  Perhaps the Crows and Bulldogs haven’t kept pace with other teams.

I’m looking forward to seeing how Harford’s brand of footy goes against North, in trying conditions.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #12
Folks
I've just moved a few posts from here that related to our match against North
Can we keep this thread for a general discussion of the Women's competition.

We'll have a match thread for Carlton games.

Reply #14
:(

How things have changed in your life!