Skip to main content
Topic: Northern Blues vs Essendon (Read 13515 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Northern Blues vs Essendon

Reply #15
...or we need our own side at this level where results take a back seat to developing our youth to play at a senior level.

Winning is contagious, so is losing.
The only thing in this world worth more than a hill of beans is the Carlton Football Club.

Reply #16
Winning is contagious, so is losing.

There has to be a plan or a point to it.
Sacrifices for the long term good.
'If' you can put that mind set in place it can compensate for the fact you're not winning.
.....IF  ;)

Reply #17
...or we need our own side at this level where results take a back seat to developing our youth to play at a senior level.

We pretty much have that now, but will have it from next year when they change the entire system. I think its coming for next year.

That being said, having that little level of seperation from the club allows its to escape some scrutiny.

Seeing Carlton last on the ladder in the AFLW was not ideal.
Seeing Carlton last on the ladder in the AFL is embarrassing.
Seeing Northern Blues last on the ladder in the VFL is easier to dismiss as 'not our problem'.
Seeing Carlton last on the ladder in the VFL is the final nail in the coffin.

Reply #18
Just 14pts down. Macreadie off with a hammy, Williamson done for the day, Graham with ice on his calf.....terrific ::).

No point recruiting players if we can't manage their injuries. I am very interested to understand wtf is going on with our injury management, or apparent lack of should I say.
We'll be scratching to field 2 teams if this mystifying trend continues.
Coming together is the beginning.
Keeping together is progress.
Working together is success.
Henry Ford.

Reply #19
There has to be a plan or a point to it.
Sacrifices for the long term good.
'If' you can put that mind set in place it can compensate for the fact you're not winning.
.....IF  ;)

When all is said and done the Northern Blues is a sporting team and everyone plays sport to win, telling any young player that winning isn't important in the grand scheme is a bad message to send in my opinion.
The only thing in this world worth more than a hill of beans is the Carlton Football Club.

Reply #20
We pretty much have that now, but will have it from next year when they change the entire system. I think its coming for next year.

That being said, having that little level of seperation from the club allows its to escape some scrutiny.

Seeing Carlton last on the ladder in the AFLW was not ideal.
Seeing Carlton last on the ladder in the AFL is embarrassing.
Seeing Northern Blues last on the ladder in the VFL is easier to dismiss as 'not our problem'.
Seeing Carlton last on the ladder in the VFL is the final nail in the coffin.

We don't want to hide from our weaknesses
Arnold Schwarzenegger, in his early days, was accused of having weak calves...so he rolled up his track suit pants and exposed them so that the world could see...then he worked the guts out of them until they were up to scratch.
Same with us..Let the world see our weaknesses and work on them until they're elite.

(That might be a bit of a story ;) ...like a lot about Arnold....But I like it, and it's a good philosophy) :D

Reply #21
Injuries or no injuries a 9 goal deficit in the last quarter is unacceptable against Essendon's VFL team.
I think that Fraser's run his race, never mind running patterns we need someone to breathe some fire into these young blokes.

We were benchless by the last qtr and lost most of them in the first half. That last qtr can happen when you have no legs left. We managed to hang on well for 3 qtrs considering.

Most encouraging of our listed players were Silvangi and De Konning, who certainly looks like he'll be a player once he puts on some size. Looks like he'll be equally as prolific as a forward as he might be as a ruck.

Reply #22
When all is said and done the Northern Blues is a sporting team and everyone plays sport to win, telling any young player that winning isn't important in the grand scheme is a bad message to send in my opinion.

Yep
The "Northern Blues" is a Sporting Team...
But the "Carlton Reserves" is (or would be) a development squad, where they're working on certain aspects of their game and game plans.
If the wins come that's good...but if they don't there is still a point and purpose that the players can concentrate on and gain satisfaction from.

Reply #23
No point recruiting players if we can't manage their injuries. I am very interested to understand wtf is going on with our injury management, or apparent lack of should I say.
We'll be scratching to field 2 teams if this mystifying trend continues.

Williamson apparently got a bad knock in his back so we might've been unlucky there.

I do see your point though. Injury management is shocking. Not only getting them but returning them way too early only to cop a repeat injury. Whoever would've thought Murphy would've got over plantar fasciitis in 4 weeks when it generally takes months.

Reply #24
We don't want to hide from our weaknesses
Arnold Schwarzenegger, in his early days, was accused of having weak calves...so he rolled up his track suit pants and exposed them so that the world could see...then he worked the guts out of them until they were up to scratch.
Same with us..Let the world see our weaknesses and work on them until they're elite.

(That might be a bit of a story ;) ...like a lot about Arnold....But I like it, and it's a good philosophy) :D

OK, but i bet Arnold wasn't working out in public where every calf raise was questioned by 100's of journalists.

If he was under as much scrutiny as we would be, perhaps it may have broken him....like it has us.

Reply #25
OK, but i bet Arnold wasn't working out in public where every calf raise was questioned by 100's of journalists.

If he was under as much scrutiny as we would be, perhaps it may have broken him....like it has us.

Yep
He was
Training at Gold's Venice
The mecca of bodybuilding

One thing about the bloke was he was never shy of publicity. ;D

But the point is... If you're crap...acknowledge you're crap
Let folks know exactly where you stand ...because then they can see the progress.

Reply #26
We were benchless by the last qtr and lost most of them in the first half.

Williamson, Graham and Macreadie were done well before 1/2 time but I thought the team played quite well until very late in the 3rd term.

Of the other listed players:
- Phillips was very very good early and clearly out-pointed Leuenberger in the ruck contests but lack of interchange options meant that he and Lobbe both stayed on the field most of the game and he definitely faded.
- By comparison, Lobbe looked quite good against the Essendon 2nd and 3rd string ruckmen but was uncompetitive against Leuenberger.
- De Koning had very limited time in the ruck but already looks like a better key forward than McKay and Kerr did last year.
- Schumacher was not as impressive as he was against Frankston but still looks like a likely player.
- JGM has only improved very slightly since his first season
- Shaw has played more than 100 AFL games, which just goes to show how poor GC were - he belongs behind Mullett and O'Shea in the pecking order and some of his turnovers were very costly when the game was still close.
- Garlett looks the goods but does not work hard enough - especially when he doesn't have the ball
- Hard to believe Polson couldn't get more of the ball - I guess he was waiting for someone to give it to him b/c he didn't seem to want to try and get it himself
- SOJ can do some useful things in congested areas and seems to have decent endurance and work rate but he doesn't seem to have the speed to actually get to enough contests and certainly seems unable to separate himself from an opponent when playing forward-

Of the Preston lads:
- Penrith was noticeable with his speed and intensity, with and without the ball
- Palmer frequently got on his hands on the ball in marking contests and actually managed to hold on to several marks
- Blakey looks unfashionable but he doesn't lack for courage, intensity and daring

Reply #27

Interestingly at the 1/4 time huddle, it was Fraser, Bolton and Barker in deep conversation, moving the magnets around on the whiteboard and talking in whispers as they were doing it. I think CFC has a fairly significant influence on how we play in the twos

Reply #28
Northern Blues   3.4-22   4.5-29   8.6-54   8.7-55
Essendon   5.1-31   7.5-47   11.8-74   19.14-128

The last quarter was certainly bad.  :(  :(  ::)

NORTHERN BLUES
Goal Kickers: J. Palmer 5, T. De Koning 2, A. Phillips
Best Players: J. Silvagni, J. Palmer, J. Hill, T. De Koning, A. Phillips, C. McCabe

Nice to see Josh Hill in the best for the 1st time.

ESSENDON
Goal Kickers: M. Brown 4, D. Younan 3, J. Green 2, A. Boyse 2, M. Leuenberger 2, J. Long, A. Heppell, T. Mynott, M. Redman, J. Houlahan, S. Draper
Best Players: A. Francis, M. Brown, D. Parish, A. Heppell, J. Sheahan, B. McNiece

Disappointing to see some real zeroes play good games against us.  >:(

Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #29
Interestingly at the 1/4 time huddle, it was Fraser, Bolton and Barker in deep conversation, moving the magnets around on the whiteboard and talking in whispers as they were doing it. I think CFC has a fairly significant influence on how we play in the twos

+1 I don't hear hawthorn complaining about box Hill holding them back. 

We like to blame everything under the sun for why we struggle but ultimately it all comes down to two decades of haphazard management.

We wanted to be bold and it bit us badly. 

Now we need to be bold for different reasons.  Don't repeat the mistakes of the past, work hard at building what we have rather than looking externally for solutions.   People will want to be part of a place that actually values people and solidarity where #United isn't just a slogan.

"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson