Skip to main content
Topic: Northern Blues vs Essendon (Read 13571 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Northern Blues vs Essendon

Reply #45
Probably 80% midfield

Interesting. How does he perform in the midfield RR, and do you think he would be ready yet for a senior gig in the midfield?
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #46
Interesting. How does he perform in the midfield RR, and do you think he would be ready yet for a senior gig in the midfield?

He might have to, the word I have is that Cripps is 50/50 for the 6 day break.

But SoJ is miles away, I had hoped that he might be able to tag the out of form Kennedy, but Kennedy came good this week with 23 CP!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #47
Trying to turn Soj into a midfielder when we are light on for forwards is basically saying you need to make it as a mid because you are not good enough as a forward.

Reply #48
Trying to turn Soj into a midfielder when we are light on for forwards is basically saying you need to make it as a mid because you are not good enough as a forward.

I guess it comes back to the argument about whether our greatest deficiency is in the forwards or midfield.
Scoring is dependent on both,
The midfielders to get it in and find targets.
The forwards to get it and convert.
5-15 wont win you too many.

Reply #49

And maybe that's the reality. Funny how he seems to be hitting the scoreboard more as a mid than as a forward... He's still early in his 'midfield career' which I reckon we should factor into any judgments.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #50
And maybe that's the reality. Funny how he seems to be hitting the scoreboard more as a mid than as a forward... He's still early in his 'midfield career' which I reckon we should factor into any judgments.

Agree. Without trying to pre-judge, let's fully and expertly evaluate where he can make the most effective contribution to our future - he is young and time is on his side. We don't want to die wondering.

Reply #51

Still early in his career period.

Biggest issue is that he goes to ground too easy.

I reckon he'll make it, and is a jack of all trades sort of player.   Needs to become that link man between midfield and forward.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #52
The thing we should remember about SoJ is that his grandfather, Serge, was one of the original big bodied mid-fielders. Serge also started as a forward.

Reply #53

Good hands and good use of the body when the ball falls to him but he has a bit of learning to do to have a greater impact in the clearances.

Reply #54
Good hands and good use of the body when the ball falls to him but he has a bit of learning to do to have a greater impact in the clearances.

Fisher chased Cripps around all summer, that seems to have really helped him. Could be Cripps becomes the target over this summer for both Jack and Matthew Kennedy. When you consider what a beast Cripps has become, it is a good measure of their progress.

Reply #55
Still early in his career period.

Biggest issue is that he goes to ground too easy.

I reckon he'll make it, and is a jack of all trades sort of player.   Needs to become that link man between midfield and forward.

Biggest issue is his lack of pace.
If he was 2 yards quicker he would be playing forward in the ones

Reply #56
Biggest issue is his lack of pace.
If he was 2 yards quicker he would be playing forward in the ones

Nah, pace is overated.  Its not about how quickly you can cover the ground, but how quickly you can get moving.

"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #57

Thanks RR. Sounds like he has something to work with but needs a bit more development and more experience in the role. I know he's not quick but if he's playing at the coalface maybe that's not as important as if he were trying to become a breakaway mid - Cripps doesn't exactly burn up the turf but he is elusive and very hard to drag down, and often breaks out of attempted tackles to give the ball off effectively.

Reply #58
Nah, pace is overated.  Its not about how quickly you can cover the ground, but how quickly you can get moving.

Even more than physical speed, it's how quickly you think about what to do and then how quickly you act on those thoughts!

This comes about by practice and knowing, which is why I fear our future due to the lack of quality role models.

Learn bad habits and they will be very difficult to change, good or bad habits become second nature.

Like many of our kids ball use is a big problem, he was getting it enough at Frankston but his disposal and decision making was deplorable! Hardly a kick hit a target! You can get away with that, but only if you are like Cripps on the other stats!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #59

You need to have at least one trick.

As a medium small forward you need to have great pressure if you are only going to touch the ball 9-10 times.   

I like the item of playing him as an inside mid.   He needs to build a massive tank and get to more contests.