Skip to main content
Topic: Kyrgios - magician or idiot? (Read 6152 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Kyrgios - magician or idiot?

Reply #15
I like Nick and if he could just tone down some of what he does, he could be No. 1 and still not be a tennis robot.

I am not a fan of Federer and co, I think they all come out of the same BLAND factory.  But I don't like to see whinging and that negative behaviour out of Kyrgios, however his banter with that idiot in the crowd the other week that got the guy walked out, really amuses me.  He just needs a bit more class and he'd be loved, people love a bit of show and dazzle, but he takes it a bit far at times.  He just lets himself down at times, I hope he can pull it together.

I would much rather go watch a game he's involved in than Federer/Djokic/Nadal combined!  Yawn.

Reply #16
I like Nick and if he could just tone down some of what he does, he could be No. 1 and still not be a tennis robot.

I am not a fan of Federer and co, I think they all come out of the same BLAND factory.  But I don't like to see whinging and that negative behaviour out of Kyrgios, however his banter with that idiot in the crowd the other week that got the guy walked out, really amuses me.  He just needs a bit more class and he'd be loved, people love a bit of show and dazzle, but he takes it a bit far at times.  He just lets himself down at times, I hope he can pull it together.

I would much rather go watch a game he's involved in than Federer/Djokic/Nadal combined!  Yawn.

Human history is filled with sportspeople who fail to reach their potential. Kyrgios is talented enough to win a slam and be a regular fixture in the top 10. But in my view, it will never happen.

My view is very different to yours. I find him irritating rather than entertaining, and his regular acts of self sabotage are embarrassing to watch.

I'm a Nadal fan, and IMO Federer and Novak are at the opposite end of boring. Federer is brilliant to watch, and Novak's best tennis is, IMO, the best tennis that has ever been played.

Reply #17
We've been asking for players with personality for years, and just because we dislike someones we straight away condemn them.

Isn't that hypocritical??

Marat Safin was no different.  Pulled it together for a year and a half.  Became ranked 1 and won a few slams.  Then proceeded to tour with his entourage and tennis took more of a back seat.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #18
Jim Courier summed Kygrios up.

Very talented player who doesn't have the fitness or stamina to get through a second week of a grand slam tournament. (where matches are 5 sets)

2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #19

Very talented player who doesn't have the fitness or stamina to get through a second week of a grand slam tournament. (where matches are 5 sets)

I agree, and I suspect all the carry on is just deflecting the media from discussing the truth that Kyrgios doesn't work hard enough to be a top liner. He wants it as much as anybody, but he won't do the work equal of the others. If anyone suggests this he admonishes them for claiming that he doesn't work hard, but that is not the same thing as working hard enough. I'm sure he works hard compared to Joe Average, but he isn't being measured against Joe Average! I was fortunate to have a discussion with the two Todd's one day, and Woodbridge mentioned much the same with a few players at the top end. He said most had the necessary desire but few had the capacity.

So I suspect when Kyrgios is bettered he starts looking for excuses, because he is just doesn't have the physical capacity to match his desire.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #20

If by stamina he includes mental stamina, then yes I agree.

We've been asking for players with personality for years, and just because we dislike someones we straight away condemn them.

Isn't that hypocritical??

Marat Safin was no different.  Pulled it together for a year and a half.  Became ranked 1 and won a few slams.  Then proceeded to tour with his entourage and tennis took more of a back seat.

Who's been asking for players with more "personality" ? I haven't.

We must be in some kind of cultural crisis if racquet smashing, spectator abusing, umpire abusing, venting on twitter, possible tanking, and general mental flakiness are now considered to be signs of someone with a "personality."

Sorry, it's weak, and I don't buy it.

Reply #21

Maybe people who don't really like tennis as a sport want the grunters and grumpers!

I've gone off tennis over the years, as prize money grows more and more questionable tactics come to the fore, it's not sport as I know it but more psychological warfare. The worst experiences for me come when someone like a Kyrgios or Williams chucks a wobbly because they are being bettered on the court, without wanting to be sexist they need to take it like a man and stop crying like a bitch! It's a Grand Slam not MAFS!

Personally, I'd prefer they clone Federa so we can go and watch Fed vs Fed.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #22
Maybe people who don't really like tennis as a sport want the grunters and grumpers!

I've gone off tennis over the years, as prize money grows more and more questionable tactics come to the fore, it's not sport as I know it but more psychological warfare. The worst experiences for me come when someone like a Kyrgios or Williams chucks a wobbly because they are being bettered on the court, without wanting to be sexist they need to take it like a man and stop crying like a bitch! It's a Grand Slam not MAFS!

Personally, I'd prefer they clone Federa so we can go and watch Fed vs Fed.

I used to love tennis years ago but over the years I too have completely lost interest and find it quite tiresome now. Some of the players/personalities are so far up themselves only their shoelaces are visible.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #23
If by stamina he includes mental stamina, then yes I agree.

We must be in some kind of cultural crisis if racquet smashing, spectator abusing, umpire abusing, venting on twitter, possible tanking, and general mental flakiness are now considered to be signs of someone with a "personality."

Sorry, it's weak, and I don't buy it.

No Jim was talking about his physical conditioning.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #24
No Jim was talking about his physical conditioning.

I'm sure that was what Woodbridge was referring to, the ability to go to another physical level, or the mental strength to put the pain away and continue.

Kyrgios looks unable to let the things that bother him go, I can only assume it's driven by fatigue and I appreciate it may not be, but he actually he looks to be taken over by those issues and the verbal barrage is cloaking cause or making an excuse.

As an Australian all I want him to do is to achieve success at the level his potential suggests without all the drama. Some people excuse his behaviour as self-motivation, like it's what he needs to push himself further, I think it is just preparing an excuse for failure and wastes energy. I have had team-mates like this, and all they do is bring the team ethic undone by blaming somebody else or having an excuse.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #26
I was a pretty good tennis player as a junior and I'll give you a hot tip.

Most of the really good players were crazy. ;D
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #27
I played was a pretty good tennis player as a junior and I'll give you a hot tip.

I've been at a high level in several sports, and all the very best people were monolithic in their focus. They weren't playing for the money, Instagram, Trout Pouts or Influence. They just had a focus that could be describe as unhealthy and perhaps as you suggest even crazy, like a dog addicted to licking it's own arse! They were the antitheses of someone like Bernard Tomic, because the best of the best would still be doing it even if they had to pay good money to be there! Do you get that feeling from Kyrgios, because I get it from Federer?
The Force Awakens!

Reply #28
I played was a pretty good tennis player as a junior and I'll give you a hot tip.

Let me put it another way. If what JC says is true, then Nick would tend to misbehave only in slams, no ? Instead, he seems to misbehave in 3 set and 5 set matches, usually when the heat is on and things don't go his way, and not always in the 2nd week or later stages of the tournament. Is that a fair conclusion ? Tell me if it isn't.

I have nothing against him, and I would love to see him succeed and be proven wrong. I don't want to see any young person squandering their talents. But I'm not feeling it, and I'm not seeing it.

Reply #29
I'm not sure Courier meant it as the only cause/problem, it seems fair to suggest Kyrgios has more than one issue.

Given we must concede experience to Courier, perhaps he thinks many of those other issues would fade if Kyrgios fixed that one thing!
The Force Awakens!