Skip to main content
Topic: The Elephant in the room (Read 9707 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: The Elephant in the room

Reply #30
He should win the Brownlow based on that one game!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #31

You think they should award 30 points count for this one game LP.
This digital world is too much for us insects to understand.

Reply #32
When I started this thread it really wasn't because I thought Cripps was a 'magnificent beast'.

No the "Elephant in the room" is the fact we'd be pretty much f**ked without his presence at this stage of our development.

It's often said a player was a difference between winning and losing.
It's a bit of a throwaway line sometimes, as there are lots of factors in a game.

But I think that you would probably get general agreement that we wouldn't have won the game yesterday without Cripps.
Other players were great contributors...Walsh, Weitering, Ed Curnow, Kreuzer all had very good games.

But Cripps was colossal.

In  junior football you sometimes get that more mature kid who dominates a game.
It was a bit like that.
A man playing with and against a group of kids.

His play not only brought others into the game but enthused the playing group and the supporters.
The young kids developing around him could have no better example.

I agree entirely Lods.  I think that we could be competitive without him for a game or two, provided everyone else on our list was fit and firing, but Crippa is irreplaceable.  The team’s dismal performances when he had off days shows how reliant we are.

What I really liked about his game yesterday was how much he was enjoying himself.  After the burden he has shouldered, it was great to see him reaping the rewards of his efforts.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #33
For the first time in a while, players like Liam Stocker, Cam Poulson, Josh Deluca would be sitting in the stands saying ‘I want to be part of this’, rather than simply ‘I hope I get a game next week’ There’s a big difference.

Reply #34
For the first time in a while, players like Liam Stocker, Cam Poulson, Josh Deluca would be sitting in the stands saying ‘I want to be part of this’, rather than simply ‘I hope I get a game next week’ There’s a big difference.

I wouldn't mind access to your thought detecting machine. :D

Reply #35
You think they should award 30 points count for this one game LP.

I haven't seen a better individual game all year, yet I might not even give him top votes!

Fans need to keep focussed on the big picture, we need another durable, aggressive and mobile ruck, someone who demands attention and delivers 2nd or 3rd efforts. Cripps life is much easier when Kreuzer plays well.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #36
I haven't seen a better individual game all year.............

Best game by any player AFL player this season according to some scribes.

Reply #38
38 pos and 4 goals despite heavy tag.

His possessions weren't little fiddly TomMitchell ones either nor rushed. Always decisive.

It's hard to imagine how you'd play a better game.

Reply #39
38 pos and 4 goals despite heavy tag.

His possessions weren't little fiddly TomMitchell ones either nor rushed. Always decisive.

It's hard to imagine how you'd play a better game.

Last player to get 38 disposals and 4 goals was Ablett Jr at his absolute best in 2012. Last Carlton player was Kouta in 2000.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #40
He lifted to another level (if thats possible) on the back of a poor performance last week and the sacking of a man he respects immensely (as shown by his nominating him during his on field interview).

2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #41
When I started this thread it really wasn't because I thought Cripps was a 'magnificent beast'.

No the "Elephant in the room" is the fact we'd be pretty much f**ked without his presence at this stage of our development.

It's often said a player was a difference between winning and losing.
It's a bit of a throwaway line sometimes, as there are lots of factors in a game.

But I think that you would probably get general agreement that we wouldn't have won the game yesterday without Cripps.
Other players were great contributors...Walsh, Weitering, Ed Curnow, Kreuzer all had very good games.

But Cripps was colossal.

In  junior football you sometimes get that more mature kid who dominates a game.
It was a bit like that.
A man playing with and against a group of kids.

His play not only brought others into the game but enthused the playing group and the supporters.
The young kids developing around him could have no better example.

No doubt Cripps was an absolute beast that won us the game.

On the other side of the coin...
If we got the same output from Cripps in other games this year, how many more wins would we have on the board?

I'd suggest we certainly wouldn't be sitting last on the ladder with only 2 wins.

Of course thats unreasonable to expect that, but its more about the timing of the performance more than anything else.

Reply #43
Cripps out means someone else plays in his absence.

Sure that match winning performance is the value of two players but it might have meant a different output from a few players with a winning result.

Not saying we would have won without cripps but we did used to say similar about Judd.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #44
My simple philosophy on the subject. Would you rather have a genuine gun on your team or be playing against him? It's very nice having one.